Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie - HRT question  (Read 2783 times)

Scully

Newbie - HRT question
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »

I would really appreciate any advise please - I have been on Elleste Duet 1 mg for approx 14 months with no problems and at that period i was  considered to be at the peri stage but now my GP has said I need to go onto a continuous HRT as I  must be postmenopausal  due to my age. I haven't had  a blood test to confirm this and she wouldn't give me another prescription unless I agree to go onto continuous. Therefore I agreed and was put on Climesse 2mg but they are giving me terrible headaches, anxiety and tummy pains. Now I am wondering should I change to patches instead and if so which ones are the best? any advise would be very appreciated..

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 11:04:48 AM by Scully »

Dancinggirl

Re: Newbie - HRT question
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 10:45:16 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Scully
There is absolutely no reason why you need to go onto continuous HRT.
I am 58 and have probably been post meno for 12 years and I'm using a sequential HRT regime.
Go back to your GP and say the conti isn't suiting you and you want to return to the one that you liked - if he/she won't let you then ask for a referral to a gynae or meno clinic.
Good luck  Dg x

Scully

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 11:01:38 AM »

Hi DG thank you for your welcome and reply,
Oh I thought that I had to go onto conti and the way the GP put it across was that I had no choice in the matter. So
basically I had run out of my previous hrt which was elleste duet and they wouldn't write another prescription for me
so I had to go to the practice for an appt to see her. Okay I have an appointment today and will ask to be put bk onto
one thats suits or try a patch one now. I haven't taken the conti tab this morning and I feel much better no headaches
as yet.

Thank you for your advise x

Scully

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 11:07:02 AM »

Hi dg,

May I ask what is the sequential HRT regime please?

Thank you in advance x

peegeetip

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:35:43 AM »

"sequential HRT regime"

I'm on a sequential HRT, not quite sure I'd call it a regime at the moment.

However some ladies have their patch or tablets or gels, plus other part to their own solution or regime as DG put it.
Some have localized estrogen and others will add in supplements.

For me at the moment the sequi is fine.

If it was fine for you and your happy to continue with a cycle each month then you "DONT" have to change.
Your doc should not change that part of your life for you.
Unless you made comments or asked to stop having a monthly cycle.

A lot of posts mention ladies who feel much better in the estrogen only portion of the month.

In your case your doc has also doubled the amount of estrogen your getting. So you've gone from Low Elleste 1mg to Medium 2mg Climesse.
If the 1mg was working for you, then its really silly and unnecessary of the doc to double your intake when there is no need to.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

There are low options available like ANGELIQ, KLIOVANCE that are much closer to your Elleste. One of the favorites mentioned by some ladies already is Femoston Conti as being a good option.

Unless you were getting symptoms back like flushes etc then I've no idea other than random why the doc chose the 2mg option your own ?!

If you got back to 1mg after being on 2mg for a while you might experience some old symptoms too.

There is no set day, age or time when you should consider stopping sequi and starting conti option.

:-*
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:24:17 PM by peegeetip »

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 12:37:40 PM »

Hi Scully

:welcomemm:

Like peegeetip said, it is puzzling why the GP has doubled your oestrogen - and that, combined with having daily progestogen could easily explain your headaches  - which can occur initially with sudden increase in oestrogen (but usually settle).

You haven't said how old you are? Normally once you reach the age of 54 you can go onto a continuous combined (no bleed) HRT but in my case I was almost 54 when I started and had had a period only 5 months previously so stayed on a bleed HRT for some years. I then tried a conti HRT but didn;t like having progesterone every day so at age 61 still have a regular bleed (though not monthly).

Your doctor is completely out of order to refuse to prescribe you more HRT unless you go onto continuous combined!

If you have stomach problems then patch HRT might suit you better - eg Femseven or Evorel (both come in sequi -(ie cyclical) or conti preparations.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php scroll down for the patches. The conti patches or on the link peegeetip gave you ( scroll down).

Hope this helps and good luck!

Hurdity x