Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Better on progesterone?  (Read 16597 times)

jedigirl

Better on progesterone?
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:43:11 AM »

Does anyone else feel better on the progesterone stage of their HRT? Am I unusual in this? Every month a day or two after my period (which are now very light) I feel terrible.
This is always the stage where i take estrogen only and happened also before i started HRT suggesting that my body is low on progesterone?
I then feel so anxious for a good 10 days, nauseous for about 8 days and this month had a rash on my face that has only just gone when i moved back onto progesterone three days ago.
I'm starting to dread the estrogen stage of my cycle but not sure what to do about it. I've moved onto Femoston 1/10 from 2/10 to see if less estrogen helps but do i need more progesterone. My docs are not keen on measuring hormone levels as they say they're not accurate so guess I'm figuring this one out myself.
Can I take progesterone only tablets if I'm still peri?
Any advice appreciated  :-\

peegeetip

Re: Better on progesterone?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 10:03:51 AM »

Measuring will guess what "measure" your actual levels.  ???

The docs are just plain wrong about this  >:(

You have some imbalance so having a look at your bloods at least twice once in mid est part and one in the midst of est+prog should give your doc a good idea on what your levels are.

The truth of the matter is cost and whether they can be bothered imho.
If they get results then will they even be able to interpret them  ::)
They would have to look at wider things in your blood too as some symptoms can be down to low vits and mins too.

All your doing swapping from medium to low dose femoston is letting your doc guess at whats actually wrong!
You could be introducing new issues and symptoms associated with lowered estrogen that will further confuse your situation.

I'd say get back to doc and say that you want blood tests like I describe at the very minimum.

:-*

jedigirl

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 10:11:37 AM »

thanks peegeetip
I decided to go onto lower dose myself as fairly sure I have an estrogen/progesterone imbalance and think the extra estrogen in 2/10 is making things worse. I certainly didn't have a facial rash on 1/10.
I will try again at gps re hormone test. Already had every other test under the sun. Vitamins , thyroid etc all fine.

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:12:42 AM »

You can certainly use progesterone only during perimenopause if you feel better on this regime jedigirl

http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/2012/05/progesterone-alone-for-hot-flashes-and-night-sweats/

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:20:14 AM »

Hi jedigirl
You're not the first women to report feeling better with the progesterone phase of this HRT type - Femoston has a progesterone that is apparently close to our own natural hormones so maybe that brings a positive effect??!! After all it's the drop in progesterone in our natural cycle that tends to give the PMT type symptoms which is possibly what you are experiencing?
I am using Utrogestan at the moment which is bio identical and have to say I'm feeling quite good on it.
I assume you are still peri menopausal?  If you are over 55-56 then you could probably move to the continuous version of Femoston to get the benefits all month?

silverlady - I don't think you can get the progesterone(Dydrogesterone) in Femoston on it's own - there are only two artificial progesterones for HRT use alongside oestrogen available apart from Utrogeston (bio identical).  I also believe there can be issues around the uterus becoming too thin without oestrogen during the menopause - progesterone only treatment tends to be for women needing contraception or having excessive bleeding.
It's great shame that Dydrogesterone isn't available on it's own as it could be a good alternative alongside oestrogen patches or gel as this progesterone seems to suit so many women.
DG x

jedigirl

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:29:02 AM »

dancing girl thanks, it certainly seems to be the drop in progesterone that affects me so badly. I'm 45 and perimenopause so presumably conti would be no good for me? Am wondeing if a progesterone cream as well as my Femoston would top up my levels and keep my estrogen levels okay too? Confused!! ::)
silver lady thanks, interesting though the article seems to refer to post meno women "The researchers also note that their population were postmenopausal, having not menstruated for 1-10 years, so their findings are not applicable to women transitioning into menopause."

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:51:06 AM »

Jedigirl if you google you will find a lot of info about Progesterone and its role during the perimenopause phase. Its the lowering of this hormone due too spasmodic ovulation that can cause some women not to feel so well. There are loads of books written about it too.

I was going to suggest Natural Progesterone Cream but am cautious about doing so. It has its part during perimenopause used alone ( not along HRT) and some women swear by it. It can help,  many women become estrogen domimant before it too starts to drop too.

I would speak to your GP and explain to him what you have said here he/she maybe able to come up with something you can take.

My sister took progesterone/progestin (not sure which) when she was in the perimenopause and did very well on it, she is postmenopause now and has never taken combined HRT and is fine.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:12:54 AM by silverlady »

Rowan

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 11:21:56 AM »

Dancing girl not sure why the lining becoming too thin is a problem, post menopause this is what happens anyway if you are not on HRT.

If you have had a hysterectomy you don't have uteruses for the lining to get too thin either, this doesn't cause a problem for women.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »

Last month which was a 'bad' month for me, I experienced sudden, very nasty anxiety and low mood just a couple of days after my period finished, too. It was days 8-11 of my cycle. Very unexpected, as this is usually my 'good' phase of the month.

It then went as quickly as it came, literally in the space of an hour  :-\

Years ago I tried natural progesterone cream for my PMS. It was expensive, and didn't seem to make any difference.

jedigirl

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »

GypsyRoseLee, yes my anxiety is very much on and off like that, though this month seems to be harder to shake off. This feels more like existing than living. :-\
silverlady, will certainly look into this. I have a docs appointment next week so will mention it.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 01:10:29 PM »

While I didn't suffer the way you seem to be I definitely felt better on the progesterone part of the pack when I was on the Femoston 1/10.  I'm older than you though and my lovely nurse agreed to move me onto the Femoston conti late last year so I now get it every day and it suits me just fine.  I think there are some ladies that do fare better on the prog part but we're a rare breed ;)

jedigirl

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »

greyhoundgal, thank you, are you post or perimenopause? Can you take conti if yr peri?

Millykin

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »

Jedigirl
I'm taking femoston 1/10 the same as you. I can say i feel loads better on the prog part. I have just noticed this over the last couple of months. I was going to try and talk my GP into giving me Femoston Conti 1/5 but i don't think she will give me it as I'm 44. In saying that my old GP who has just retired and put me on Femoston, had mentioned when i said i wasn't getting periods that i could get 2/10 if i felt i needed more or even could move me to 1/5, at the time i never knew 1/5 was conti i think she did though as she was very clued up and laid back about HRT and always advised best. Been on HRT since April .Dont often take a period but when i do i suffer.
Starting prog part tomorrow so looking forward to the pick me up!
x

jedigirl

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 02:04:26 PM »

Hi Millykin, you and i seem to be similar in our stories.
 I've just moved back down to 1/10 from 2/10 as felt like the estrogen was too much for me, i felt like i was charged and had rashes and kept needing the loo! It was though my body was trying to get rid of estrogen.
 I seem unusual to alot of women on here in that i feel better on progesterone.
Also I cant keep weight on which others seem to say the opposite. I feel so unattractive since i lost my boobs and bum!
I'd be interested to know if we are able to go onto Femoston conti although I do still have periods( very slight) so don't know the implications of that. When i was on Femoston 1/10 before i missed my period.

Millykin

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 02:36:05 PM »

Hi Jedigirl
for 2 yrs i was getting a period every 6 months, so i mentioned to GP who done tests and along with flushes confirmed peri. I started on Elleste Duet but the prog in that didn't agree i was all over the place. Then another Gp told me to try Femoston 1/10 and first 3 months took a bleed all fine then no bleed for few months so mentioned to GP and thats when she said try 2/10 or i can give you 1/5 (i didnt know that was conti at the time) i just stuck to 1/10. took a bleed last and felt bad . But as i said on prog i noticed each month was good.
I know what you mean with weight I'm fighting hard to keep it on, lost boobs, bum, sparkle to hair,skin, eyes. Feel like my skin in losing elasticity but I'm not going to stop my femoston as things are improving, but i would consider changing if allowed 1/5 conti ;D
Not due a review for 6 weeks so i run it by new GP, you can ask at your appointment
x
Pages: [1] 2 3