Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Insomnia and hrt  (Read 8849 times)

Alua197

Insomnia and hrt
« on: January 07, 2015, 03:20:53 AM »

So since I started on hrt my sleep has been worse. I am not waking from night sweats or hot flushes. I go to sleep fine and I'm awake two hours later for the rest of the night. Has anybody on hrt experienced a deterioration with sleep? Could it mean my Estrogen is too high? Thanks

karin

Re: Insomnia and hrt
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:59:45 AM »

Hi there
For me the estrogen phase was great but whilst taking the progesterone phase i got terrible insomnia, do you use the conbined hrt?

SueRoe

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:03:19 PM »

My sleep didn't settle until I switched to Utrogestan progesterone capsules with oestrogen patches. Even then, I still get a couple of nights a week that are poor and every night is broken to some extent. It seems to be part of being a middle-aged woman!

mmbecks

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 09:28:13 PM »

Hi - I've been on HRT for about 9 months now but unfortunately it never really helped with the insomnia. Eventually I gave in to the GP and am now taking Mirtazapine - only been on it for 2.5 weeks but it does seem to be helping. I have just completed 2 weeks at work without having a completely sleepless night - that's the first time for 11 months! So although I don't like taking an anti-depressant, I just reached the point where I couldn't carry on, and I was prepared to take anything.  It might be worth a try.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:41:47 AM »

I have to say that my sleep has improved enormously since I went back on HRT 8 weeks ago.  What I all say is that I think poor sleep can become a habit - once you start sleeping badly you come to expect to sleep badly and it becomes a vicious circle. When I wasn't on HRT the swearts etc made me wake numerous times and I couldn't get back to sleep, I would then wade through the next day tired and tetchy.  The more often this happened the worse it got. The way I dealt with this was to take some antihistamine like Nytol which can work a treat if you don't take it too often. So for a couple of nights a week I took Nytol and it gave me a better nights sleep and it sometimes meant I slept better for a couple of night afterwards.
Being without sleep is torture. Do look at some of the websites with tips on getting a better nights sleep - there are strategies that can help.   DG x

Night_Owl

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:24:19 AM »

Hi Alua - I've never had quality sleep on or off HRT, high or low dose.  Since my periods stopped 8 years ago, sleep has never been the same.  But I do recall in the early days of HRT when I was high dose patch - 100 then 75 - that I was constantly wired at night and would be awake from 2am or 3am, more alert than I could ever be during the day.  In my case less gave some improvement.

It may be that your estrogen is too high and some adjustment could be made - what strength patch or you on - and at what stage of meno?

Night_Owl
x

Alua197

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 12:12:35 AM »

100mcg patch. I'm pre meno 41 years old. Sleep was awful before hrt. I seem to have a couple of good nights then a shocker so figure if dose was too high it would be every night. On 50mcg patch was worse

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »

Hi Alua197
ARe you pre meno or did you mean you are peri meno? Do you know what your FSH and oestrogen levels were when tested?  Why are you being given such a high dose of oestrogen?  Are you seeing a gynae?  You mentioned you didn't sleep very well before starting the HRT so maybe your poor sleep is nothing to do with the hormones?
It could take some time for the HRT to weave it's magic. Perhaps you need some separate help just for your sleep problems?  DG x

Alua197

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:50:59 PM »

Peri meno I guess. Estrogen last was 220 pmol. Fsh and Lh high 30's. Bad depression have talked to prof studd and also under endocrinologist here. Slept fine last night!