Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Kidney infection  (Read 6684 times)

Millykin

Kidney infection
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:29:03 PM »

Well I woke up on Sunday feeling fine as the day went on the bottom of my back started to feel sore, I thought I had hurt it, by night time I was going upstairs and feel to my knees with the pain, still couldn't work out what I had done. Took painkillers and had hot water bottle, no relief. Spent most of the night uncomfortable, got up for work couldn't bend over so thought I'd get GP appointment. Took a urine sample in case, turns out I had protein and inflammation of kidneys! GP couldn't understand why I didn't have a temp or feel unwell (to be fair feeling unwell was my usual for past year ) thought that was just my normal now. Got AB and painkillers and honestly within taking 2 ABs and no painkillers the pain went. I woke this morning with slight niggle on right side but nothing major. Can't believe they worked so quick! I'm just glad I drink loads of water, maybe one coffee every few days and no alchohol.
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Kidney infection
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 03:53:50 PM »

However: did your GP send the sample AWAY to a Lab because that is the only way it can be tested.  Many GPs don't.  If you don't get the correct AB you might as well ……  :-X - ABs usually take 24/48 hours before the patient feels benefit ……..

Glad you are feeling better anyway.  Did your GP query why you didn't have a temp./nausea?  Does he want to see you again?

Millykin

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 04:30:30 PM »

Hi
Ye sent it away explaining they check it more thoroughly and check it's the right AB I have been given, he will phone me tomorrow to let me know. If I felt any worse to go straight back up to see him.
Yes he did say people usually have a temp but mine was normal. BP good, heart rate a little higher, sign of infection. Did feel a little groggy but I was putting that down to stomach issues. I feel good now which is a bonus
X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »

It's good that you are feeling better so quickly Millykin. The last time I had one it took me ten weeks to begin to feel better after four different types of antibiotics. I lost a stone in weight and have never felt so ill. It seems as if you have caught it quickly which is a bonus.

Taz x  :)

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 04:40:40 PM »

That's good to know that even at this time of year your GP is on the ball!  Hopefully you are already on the 'right' AB! Feet up, resting? 

Millykin

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »

Taz
10 weeks is along time must have been hell for you. My daughter went through every AB when she had a UTI.

CLKD
Just glad I phoned for appointment as I really thought I had done something to my back, it was just that I went to the loo a few times that night I thought take a sample in case. Hopefully is right AB. Just hope it doesn't upset everything else like stomach, and cause the dreaded itching down below afterwards!
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 05:19:52 PM »

Love your AVATAR by the way  ;D

Once you have stopped the AB how about eating lots of LIVE yoghurt - helps replace good gut bacteria that ABs might strip away.  Also if you are itchy due to them LIVE yoghurt applied 'down there' can be soothing and helps improve symptoms.  Not 'natural' but LIVE - I use the Greek style pots and eat tablespoons of the stuff.

Millykin

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 05:34:52 PM »

It was just too cute to resist.

My DH is a big fan of live Greek yoghurt always some in fridge so if it goes missing next week I'll have to explain myself  8)
X

rosebud57

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »

I had this a couple of years ago.  I had had it for weeks and did not know it. I had intermittent bouts of diarrhoea and had made a GP appointment when it really blow up.  Back pain, nausea, feeling crap.  Turns out you can have a kidney infection and only have mild vague symptoms until it reaches a tipping point.  Also I had multiple bacteria so had to have a broad spectrum ab followed by an extra one to get the bug it missed.  Felt lousy for weeks.

Millykin

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »

Rosebud57
Funny you say that I had dodgy bowels last week and was blaming the omeprezole I was on, been on it for few weeks but they had up it to 2 a day. Today is the first day of going to toilet and it being normal. For now anyway ABs will probably have other ideas!
X

rosebud57

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »

Yes, runny tum was definitely due to kidney infection.  Pharmacist said it might be when I asked for advise.  However I initially ignored her advise to see doc for several weeks, and by the time I did I had real trouble.  It just shows you should not ignore persistent symptoms even if they are mild.

Millykin

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 06:23:55 PM »

Definitely I suppose it's our bodies way of saying there's something wrong although doesn't show  in the place we have a problem.
X

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 06:28:15 PM »

I just felt generally unwell as if I was going to go down with something but it was't until I actually got rigors (dreadful uncontrollable shaking) that I realised something was wrong. A test which should have been under 299 came back at over 1000. It really shook me up to think I was so ill and didn't realise and has made me wary ever since - each little ache and shiver makes me worry! http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/rigors

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »

Do remember girls to wipe front to back because the bowel is where the nastie bugs live  ;)

rosebud57

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 08:29:41 PM »

I have used moist bum wipes ever since.  Now totally paranoid and take no chances.
Pages: [1] 2