Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Another newbie Kiwi  (Read 5194 times)

NikkiDUK

Another newbie Kiwi
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »

Hello. I'm a 49 year old (6 weeks off 50) Kiwi - been living in the UK since 1990 and married to a lovely (and very supportive) Welshman. Been reading this forum for a while and have found it so reassuring that I decided to join. I guess I've been in peri menopause for about three or so years but this year, things have really ramped up. No hot flushes but have had night sweats (not bad, can deal with them) but it's the mood dips and extra anxiety, not to mention the aches and pains that have really got me. I'm pretty active (yoga,Pilates, LOTS of walking plus I volunteer at weekends at a wolf centre so need to be fit to handle those guys) so the aches and tiredness are a real pain. GP completely not interested in meno - exact words were "oh well, it's just like puberty but backwards." Yes, he's a bloke and the same age as me. I'm not keen on the idea of HRT and I know I'm not suffering as much as some although I have found Vitamin B complex helps. Got that suggestion from on here so thanks! Sorry for the long post - I am a talker!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:08:20 PM by NikkiDUK »

babyjane

Re: Another newbie Kiwi
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 03:33:36 PM »

hello and welcome to the forum, it's nice to meet you  :welcomemm:

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »

:welcomemm:  somewhere here we have a 'pets' thread - tell us more about your wolves  ;)

As for your GP  ::) ........ do you have a Practice Nurse or younger member of Staff.  Perhaps check to see if there is a meno-Clinic within travelling distance !

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:21:03 PM »

:welcomemm:

Love to hear about your wolves!

NikkiDUK

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 08:04:46 AM »

It's strange as no-one at our surgery seems very bothered about menopausal things. In fact, I can't even get much information from my mum and we can talk about anything. The only person I can find willing to talk about it (other than on here) is my closest friend and luckily she's a nurse so she keeps things in perspective. It seems it's either a taboo or something women are just meant to get on with. My husband is very good and knows when to be sympathetic and when to put his foot down and gee me up!

NikkiDUK

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 08:06:46 AM »

Oh, and the wolves aren't really pets but I'll look for the thread! I helped hand-raise three of them. They certainly help me through any bad patches.

SallyG

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 09:33:41 AM »

Hi I totally relate to the ramping up of symptoms. I have just gone through that myself for the last 6 months. I have found the anxiety and low mood the most sup rising and frightening thing to deal with because I didn't realise - I was expecting physical symptoms. HRT has had a bad rap thanks to media panic reporting about a flawed piece of research (- similar to the mmr thing??) I am on it and anti anxiety drugs and I feel a lot better. HRT helps safeguard against osteoporosis as well so give it serious consideration. Look forward to hearing more.
Best wishes
SallyG

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 11:26:32 AM »

Hi NikkiDUK

:welcomemm: from me too.

I was like you and wasn't interested in HRT while I was peri-menopausal and wasn't until the flushes and sweats were unbearable and trying to work full-time that I decided to (at age 53/54 - late peri-menopause). I am so glad I did and still on it age 61.

The most important thing is not to feel you have failed if you decide to do so - rather, it is a positive decision to take control of your life rather than let symptoms rule you!

Glad to hear you are being active - that and a good diet are the key lifestyle factors to good health as we age! Even on HRT I still get aches and pains - and I have always been a worrier (never call it anxiety though!) - but as long as nothing is debilitating or depressing then things are OK!

Hurdity x

NikkiDUK

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 08:07:32 PM »

Thanks ladies - it's really reassuring to hear all this. My neighbour (late fifties) is on HRT and swears by it and as she's a nurse (and a Kiwi - what are the chances eh?) I listen to her. I guess if things get too bad I may consider it - that's if my GP agrees. I have such a horror of illness and drugs (to the point of phobia) that I'm my own worst enemy sometimes.

Kathleen

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 04:48:42 PM »

Hello NikkiDUk and welcome to the forum.

Whatever you decide to do during your meno journey there will be someone on this site to talk to and offer advice. Help is always at hand.

Take care and keep posting.

K. 

NikkiDUK

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 08:26:09 AM »

Boy, had a tough week. My job (graphic designer) is pretty full-on and at the moment I'm in charge of two new launches which gets me pulled every which way (I need to be cloned!) and while I can deal with that, I found in the evenings my emotions have gone haywire and the dreaded anxiety has ramped up. I find I just cry at the drop of a hat and fret over all sorts (I naturally can worry for England but this is a whole other level). I worked out that I'm probably in the middle of my cycle so know a lot of it is hormonal but I feel so out of control which I hate. Luckily husband is good (says his dad prepared him for this after his mum's meno) so that helps. Just good to write it down and try and keep things in perspective.

NikkiDUK

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »

Also off to NZ in two weeks - on my own as OH is working overseas. Have done this loads of times but seems to get harder as my illness phobia really kicks in hard these days. Most people have no idea what a mess I am underneath!

SallyG

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 07:57:38 AM »

Hi Nikki
my husband also works away and although it is getting on for two years I still miss him and pine. I was surprised at how dependent I was on him and worried that I was co-dependent or something! But as friends have pointed out to me, that is natural. I am finding the meno challenging too and am signed off work at the moment. I have struggled with that too. I worry about it most days but I have to accept it and try to get my life back. I have found this site very supportive so keep on posting.

Hugs
Sallyx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 09:53:05 AM »

Nikki - packed yet?  ;)

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 10:16:53 AM »

Welcome - I'm married to a Welshman also  ;D and he's also very supportive - bemused a lot of the time, but supportive.  A visit to NZ is on my bucket list - somewhere I've always wanted to go