Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Having a rough time again  (Read 4503 times)

Chi chi

Having a rough time again
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:06:13 AM »

Hi everyone, haven't posted in a while as I suppose I must of felt ok? I had my utrogestan again starting on 1 December which I decided to take vaginally as I felt ok last month when I first tried it that way. Took it for 5 days and had a period which started on 14 and I have finished today. Again 3 or 4 days into having the utrogestan the snappiness and moodiness started, since then I have been quite low mood wise but also I've been feeling sick on and off, shaky, light headed, a few palpitations and a couple of nights I've woke up drenched. The anxiety is back with a vengeance and is probably the worse it's been since starting HRT. I'm on lamotrogine (150 mg) and also escitalopram (30 mg) 6 weeks ago I reduced the lamotrigine by 25 mg but didn't really notice any withdrawal symptoms except maybe a heavy head feeling for a few days.
I'm still unsure about why I feel so low and anxious but all the latest symptoms are really bothering and scaring me  :(
I'm still on 4 pumps of estrogel and a tube of testim per week and have to take the utrogestan each month.
I'm still considering a hysterectomy so I will not have to take the utrogestan but am still confused as I felt relatively ok last month?
Is it the utrogestan, too much estrogel or what??  :-\
Thanks ladies  :)
Also another thing my legs have been feeling like jelly the last few days  :-\
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:08:36 AM by Estelle »

warwick01

Re: Having a rough time again
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »

Hi Estelle

Going through the same right now. I have just stated Utrogestron (on day 4) but for the last couple of months my anxiety has been soooo bad. The worst symptom for me is dizziness Off balance) and panic has set in along with jelly legs which I have never experienced before.

I have been on 3/4 pumps of oestragel and 125 thyroxine per day. I notice I am worse mid morning a few hours after taking the thyroxine and oestrogel.

Off to see a new Gyne this afternoon as I have a 6cm cyst on my L overy.

Take care W

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »

Hi, thanks for replying 😊 it's so awful isn't it? 😕funny you mention the cyst as I've been reading up. When I was pregnant with my last I had a cyst but they said it was normal but since every now and again I get pain in the same place?? My waterworks are really bad also and have been gradually getting worse. Frequency and urgency! I've read that they csn sometimes press on the bladder. It sometimes really hurts when I do wee like a stabbing pain always on the same side and place.
Hope you get some answers from your new gynea  👍 x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:47:02 PM »

Those pesky fluctuating hormones when you are still peri menopausal - they don't half muck us around.
Estelle - my first thought is that you are now getting the side effects from the the withdrawal of the lamotrigine. I assume this is a SSRI? so maybe you need to look at returning to this or try something different?  Have you tried Citalopram?  My gynae recommended I try this if my new HRT regime doesn't help and I have a work colleague who has felt brilliant on Citalopram alongside HRT.
ARe you drinking enough water.  TRouble with the waterworks is another menopause symptom - oh the joys!!!
Maybe your new gynae will offer a fresh view on things.
DG x

Briony

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »

I had all those symptoms before I was on HRT (am peri) . The dizziness and palpitations were really  horrid 'cos they'd make the anxiety worse. I do still get these symptoms, though less often and less severely. I therefore think, in my case at least, it's the fluctuations within my own cycle that cause the nasties rather than the Evorel or Utrogestan. Could that be the same for you? x

Chi chi

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 09:36:51 AM »

Thanks for the replies ladies  :)
Dancinggirl is it possible to have withdrawl effects starting at 5/6 weeks after reducing? The lamotrigine is a mood stabiliser but tbh I don't think it's doing much? Maybe causing more problems than good?? The escitalopram is very similar to citalopram, Dr told me it was a "cleaner" version of citalopram? Don't know if it would be worth trying? I do know a few people who take it or have taken it and it's been good for them.
Re waterworks, I drink lots through the day although not water as it makes me feel sick, I drink Pepsi max which I know isn't the best choice but over the years I've tried stopping to see if it makes a difference, non whatsoever! I've also tried not drinking after a certain time in the evening to see if that helps but no change  :-\ I still have to get up at least once through the night! I can't even have a nap in the afternoon without being woken bursting for the toilet!
Briony, it could well be my own hormones mucking things things up?? I just wish there was a way to tell?  ???
I'm am seriously considering a hysterectomy but am worried it will make things worse for me emotionally? I Don't think I would miss having my "bits" and feeling less of a woman etc like many ladies do  :( I've had 2 children and don't want anymore, it's just the thought/worry that when I'm no longer producing my own hormones will I go downhill even more emotionally?

I swear next time I'm coming back as a man!  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 10:17:22 AM »

Hi Estelle
Getting up once or even twice in the night is considered quite normal.  I get up 2-3 times a night on a good night.
I was really just posing a question regarding the withdrawal from this drug you were on - I don't know how long these drugs go on working in our bodies once we stop.
Pepsi Max is probably the worst thing you could drink I'm afraid.  It's full of artificial sweeteners and caffeine so will really aggravate your bladder and could be making you agitated, shaky and disturb your sleep - even if you don't drink it in the evening.  One of the top bits of advice for women in meno is to stop or at least reduce caffeine intake.
You could be addicted to caffeine and weaning yourself off this may help you generally.
I know you said you have tried not drinking Pepsi but for how long and what did you drink instead? Ridding your bodies addiction to caffeine can take time - it's a bit like giving up smoking - but it can really help.
Try drinking water with a little cordial - try elderflower or some flavour you enjoy.
SSRIs can make you have a dry mouth and together with drinking Pepsi which is a diuretic
you may be getting dehydrated because it makes you pee more often. This could be throwing in your body out of balance. Try to find an alternative that you can enjoy drinking.  You may find your body craves the caffeine for a while but it is well worth cutting out the caffeine and artificial sugar from your diet.
Perhaps have a good look at your diet generally - small regular meals can really help mood - this helps to avoid highs and lows in the bodies sugar levels. This is particularly important is you suffer from anxiety.
If Escitalopramis is close to Citalopram and it suits you then that's good.
As for the question of whether to have a hysterectomy - only you can decide.  Many, many women have hysterectomies and feel much better afterwards. How it will effect your mental health is an unknown.  Even with all this hormone treatment you have had your ups and downs. You mentioned you were seeing a different gynae - what did they advice?Perhaps a review of your ADs would be a good idea.
Dg x

Briony

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 05:48:43 PM »

Your post made me smile as I too find Pepsi Max or 7up eases my tummy problems. Sounds crazy, I know, but for me I think it's that it helps me burp and that then eases the nausea. Have learnt to limit it to when 'in need' and I know it does me no nutritional good, but it's more effective than any of the medications I have been given. I am usually very healthy with my diet, so I don't worry too much about it. I find it quite an odd remedy - goes against the grain - so it's weird that it's something you can tolerate too! x

Rowan

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 06:03:46 PM »

Not really far fetched coca cola can ease tummy problems  http://www.livescience.com/26124-coca-cola-stomach-blockages.html

The original recipe was a cough formula.

Briony

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 06:14:31 PM »

Thanks for that Silverlady  - makes me feel a bit less of a nutter  ;D       x