Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: HRT and breast cancer  (Read 16203 times)

peegeetip

Re: HRT and breast cancer
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2014, 03:45:59 PM »

Totally agree with you Silverlady. The sooner the better for us all.

Tiger74 that 1 in 8 is indeed a scary figure but over a lifetime there are so many other factors that feed into the cause of cancer. This sort of statistic is almost meaningless over an 80 year plus period.

:-*

daisie

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »

I often wondered to myself ..if only she never felt the lump in her breast and just carried on with her life not knowing any different would she had gone on for a lot longer because she was so healthy but when in hospital they took off her breast then put inplants in did so much with her I think it was that what killed her in that short time sorry to be going on but it makes me wonder sometimes x

babyjane

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2014, 03:59:35 PM »

I don't think you need to apologise daisie, it clearly matters to you so it matters.

digressing a bit, I have thought that if mum's cancer had been diagnosed earlier then she might have been strong enough to withstand the treatment and would have lived longer. But it would have got her in the end and it doesn't bring her back.

daisie

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »

yes you are right babyjane..its probly creeping up on me again when I start thinking of her ..we cremated her on Christmas eve ..was back in 1982 but it still seems like yesterday x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »

An anaesthetist told me in 1977 that shock kills 85% of patients.  Either via accident or sudden un-expected news.   Invasive surgery causes stress and if carried out before a patient is psychologically un-prepared, patients can die 'suddenly'.  Invasive surgery can cause cells to be carried around the body which again, can cause 'sudden' death. 

People tolerate stressors differently.  Certain cancers are age related.  However, pre-disposition ? I had breast disease at age: [pause to do some calculations] : 41 - but no one else in my family had the 'same' type of cancer, my Mum's lump was totally different to mine [at age 65].  Paternal Grandmother had a tubercle tumour removed in her mid-40s. 

We don't know either whether those affected in War Zones might have had cancer due to living under intense pressure ……… because many have not survived  ::).  Statistics can prove anything!

I am trying to be as healthy as possible …….

Rowan

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »

CLKD animals get cancer too.

People in war zones are more likely to have high cholesterol soldiers in Vietnam even teenagers, were found to have very high cholesterol due to the stress of war.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:36:16 PM by silverlady »

Millykin

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2014, 04:39:47 PM »

It is so hard not to think what if daisy, my mum had lung cancer in her early 50s (non smoker) they removed lung took some lymph nodes 13 of which 10 were clear 3 weren't, she was given all clear but few months later had aggressive brain tumour which took her within weeks. I just keep thinking well 3 lymph nodes were not clear so why no treatment? But at the time you don't think at all we were just glad she got all clear.
My aunt had breast cancer in her early 40s got treatment but 10 yrs later brain tumour, her GP told her at time could have been all the stress she had been through who knows.
As for the stats I'm going to look on positive side 7 in 8 don't. Don't want to look on negative life is bad enough
Ye my dog had lung cancer she had a great life, no stress (I think lol)
X

daisie

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2014, 04:58:41 PM »

lets hope I can leave the doctors surgery feeling positive tonight appointment at 6 50 going to menstion hrt again see what hes got to say x

Hurdity

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2014, 06:23:50 PM »

I just had a look at the info from the links given (on cancer research site) on stress and the cancer research site says this:

Mutations can happen by chance when a cell is reproducing. It is not easy for a normal cell to turn into a cancer cell. There have to be about half a dozen different mutations before this happens. Cells often destroy themselves if they have a mutation. Or the immune system might recognise them as abnormal and kill them. This means most precancerous cells die before they can cause cancer. Only a small number of the changes turn into a cancer.

and also this:

Stress, the immune system and cancer

Many people with cancer believe that they should strengthen their immune systems to help beat the disease. There is a commonly held belief that reducing stress can help to strengthen our immune systems. This is the thinking behind some complementary therapies, using relaxation techniques for instance.

There is some scientific evidence that stress weakens our immunity. Two studies looking at whether stress affected cancer recurrence had conflicting results. While no one knows whether strengthening immunity can help to cure cancer, most doctors and nurses agree that reducing stress is a good thing to do.

Whilst there is no direct evdience of a causal link as far as I can see from this, it has to be sensible to reduce stress to maintain our immune system in the best possilbe condition, so that it can help to destroy some of the mutations that can lead to cancer as stated above.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2014, 08:56:56 PM »

More men die with prostate cancer than from it  ;)  It really does depend on which type of cancer one might suffer from.  Some are slow growing, others almost instant …….

When I think back: we have longevity on the female side/s but both Grandads died young.  Clive's family are long lived too.  That generation had less sugar in their diet but ate more stodge: meat and 2/3 veg., steamed puds with custard: thick slices with dripping, lots of cheese, full milk or cream - no skimmed then; eggs, bacon ……. but they did more exercise by necessity and in their work.  I have a baker, painter and decorator, females that were 'in service' …….. in my recent genetic history.  I keep telling myself that I need to do more exercise  ::)

After all, something's going to get us!

tiger74

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2014, 09:14:49 PM »

Tiger74 that 1 in 8 is indeed a scary figure but over a lifetime there are so many other factors that feed into the cause of cancer. This sort of statistic is almost meaningless over an 80 year plus period.

Why is this statistic "meaningless?  It simply "means" that (according to the Breast Cancer Care website) the lifetime risk of developing breast cancer is 1 in 8 (absolute risk) for a woman who lives to be around 84.

I wasn't claiming this statistic means any more than this.

As I said, on a different thread, we all have a 1 in 1 lifetime risk of dying!

CLKD

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2014, 09:19:47 PM »

Silverlady - all my pets had cancer  :'(
One little cat had a tumour under her chin which grew up into her palate.  The other had a liver tumour.  The dog had lymphoma.  They can get diabetes, heart disease, bone cancers.  Sometimes due to 'bad' breeding.  My rabbit had a huge cancer under his chin ……. chickens can get tumours.

Anything that animals can get, humans can get most of too  :-[ …… and my dog didn't lack for exercise nor good grub!  ::) in fact, as an aside: if she didn't want to go home from our walk, she would be 'at heel' for a while then I would sense I was alone - turn round and she was chasing back as she wanted '5 more minutes'  ;D …….

Dana

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2014, 05:41:32 AM »

The way I see it, society has been brainwashed so much about the supposed “dangers” of HRT that any time a woman gets breast cancer, who has been using HRT, the naysayers will automatically blame the HRT.

However, what about all the post-meno women who get breast cancer who have never used HRT? What about all the younger pre-meno women who also get breast cancer? What gets the blame then? 

I have 3 friends, who have never used HRT, who have all had breast cancer with the associated surgery and treatments (and recovered thank goodness), yet no friends using HRT have developed it. Go figure.

Even if there was a substantial increase in the breast cancer risk, I would still choose to use HRT because, for me, the benefits far outweigh the risks. Without HRT I'm suicidal, so my life would possibly be fairly short without it anyway.

At the end of the day, something's going to eventually get all of us. Of course we all just hope that it takes us out at the age of 90, while asleep in a nice comfy bed..lol....

daisie

« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »

hi dana.. I do agree with every word you have said .iv felt ill for 14 years with the menopause not taking hrt thinking ill go on without it its bound to lift well nothing as .I said in another post I was fit and healthy before all this kicked in so to me I feel we still need these homones if you have bad symptoms ..went to the doctors last night with a mind full of information to tell him hoping to come out with hrt I got there and the appointment is for next week I just hope im in the same frame of mind next week ..but yes I agree don't think taking the hrt is a main cause for breast cancer but that's my opinion  the homones are such a low dose to cause any severe symptoms. I suppose theres quit a lot of female doctors and female gynacoligist on it a friend of mine as been on it for well over 20 years and I can say shes a lot fitter than what I am x
Pages: 1 2 [3]