Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Couldn't go on any longer  (Read 6185 times)

Ju Ju

Re: Couldn't go on any longer
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 06:21:28 PM »

Some people get on very well with it. Don't worry if you don't. I don't seem to be having a problem with this regime I am trying now. It does mean I have a bleed, which I would rather not, but nothing like the periods I used to have. I was expecting problems which didn't materialise.

SueRoe

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 07:30:24 PM »

Daisie, your post made me sad. Please don't give up and accept that you'll feel rotten for ever. There are many different HRT preparations to try, and yes, there might be side-effects but they might not last. It might not help at all. There might also be risks involved, but as Ju Ju says it gets to the point where quality of life becomes more important than anything else. If the GPs at your practice (have you tried all of them?) are resistant to letting you try HRT there's probably a health reason for it, I think that GPs can be in an impossible position - they want to help but guidelines and directives won't always let them. Can you ask for an NHS referral to a gynaecologist or see one privately? Have you made it absolutely clear to your GPs that you are desperate? Is it possible for you to see the practice nurse and see if she can think of something that might help or persuade her favourite GP on your behalf to think again? Good luck.

Wanderer

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 09:14:08 AM »

Good morning marras. I too went to see the same consultant, she is lovely, and well thought of in the medical community, having excellent knowledge of HRT programmes, the only thing I have since come across with other clinicians, having moved too far away to see her again, although she does do telephone consultations, is her opinion on insulin resistance, as I was also told that all menopause women suffer it to a certain degree once the oestrogen levels drop, she prescribed Metformin, which is given to diabetics. I have no reason to doubt that it is absolutely fine, but another well esteemed Consultant I saw here, who knew her well, raised his eyebrows a little, as she is known for this! Absolutely wonderful with the HRT, and I am feeling a lot better as well, he agreed she had given me absolutely the right thing, and knowing that she is at the end of the phone is so reassuring. So glad you are feeling better, but just wanted you to be aware of differing opinions on other aspects of menopause treatment.

Take care.

WANDERER. XXX

marras

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 05:34:47 PM »

Thank you Wanderer for your kind response. I have to say that I am taking the insulin resistance opinion with a little bit of a 'pinch of salt' but giving it a go anyway. It's great to know that she is much revered in the medical profession as I am extremely nervous about putting my life in her hands so to speak. However, I don't feel I have a choice as I could not function anymore. The only side effect I'm getting at the moment is period like pains. I have phoned the clinic and they said this should pass with time. So glad you are well with the HRT. Never thought in a million years that I would start it at the age of 64!
Xx

daisie

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »

hi Freda thanks for your response..i have seen all of the doctors at the surgery but they all seem to work together on this one none of them like to give out homones. the only thing im taking is amitriptyline 50mg at night not been good on them as well they are all quite willing to prescribe antidepressants for me but nothing to treat me for the cause of my symptoms I just get fed up going back to the doctors all the time im going to have to go back again ,there is a gynaecologist who is at our surgery who I saw sometime ago he put me onto antidepressants as well the only problems I can see why they wont is that my sister died at the age of 35 with breast cancer she never took the hrt im also on betablockers for blood pressure been on them for about 19 years now apart from that iv no idea ..before the menopause I was fit and healthy living a normal life while all my homones were circulating round my body so why not put them back that's what I keep saying to myself x

Ju Ju

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 01:11:34 PM »

My sister died of breast cancer at 50 and I was told this was not a bar to taking HRT, as there are no other close family members, who had breast cancer. She didn't take HRT, but she did have several years of infertility treatment and many years on the pill before that.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2014, 01:51:55 PM »

Daisie - are you able to ask for an appt with either a meno clinic or a gynaecologist at the local Hospital?  You should not be fobbed off, point out that quality is important - Life cannot be 'lived' if 1 is suffering and if you are prepared to take a risk then maybe a chat with a Breast Surgeon might help? 

I wonder how ladies with symptoms are treated if they have no family medical background, i.e. if they were adopted or have no sisters  ???

daisie

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2014, 02:29:39 PM »

hi ju ju and clkd im going to give it another try at the doctors  and see how I get on if there is no joy I will be ringing the hospital to see if there is a menopause clinic.. there isn't one localy ,my sister was on the pill she put that down to her getting the breast cancer that was in the 60s and early 70s she took it but things are different today they seem to know more than what they did back then.i thought when I got to this age I would be over the menopause but with this experience iv had you cannot put a time to it I suppose or if I was put on the right medication in the first place it might have been different but I thought ill keep on waiting and see if things get better ..fed up of waiting now x

SueRoe

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 05:08:30 PM »

Daisie, I'm not surprised you're fed up of waiting! Days turn into weeks and into months frighteningly quickly while we wait for things to get better.
Pages: 1 [2]