Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Couldn't go on any longer  (Read 6189 times)

marras

Couldn't go on any longer
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »

I haven't posted for ages but had to tell someone that I have had a life changing experience. I have been suffering very badly with menopause symptoms for 14 years and dismissed HRT as I'm a migraine sufferer and my mum died of breast cancer. I have been so scared of HRT, worrying that it might make my migraines worse. However, over the last six months my symptoms have become so much worse and my quality of life was reaching zero. My aches and pains had become so bad I could hardly move around and I felt that my extreme symptoms were having a detrimental affect on my body. My hubby and I have bought a bigger house and I have been wondering how on earth I could cope with it, along with various other health problems. After doing some research, I went to see a private gynaecologist in Guildford, Surrey. She diagnosed insulin resistance and advised on my diet. I also came away with 25 mcg Estradot patches and 1mg Climaval (Oestradiol valerate). She said that I would need some 'kind' progesterone in the near future but to see how I go on the above regime.
Ju Ju, looking on the site, I believe that you may have seen the same gynae and been on a similar regime? I'm interested to know how you are getting on. To say that my life has changed is an understatement! I am 64 and I now feel that my life is worth living again and I wanted to share my joy with you . So much more to say but don't want to bore everyone!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Couldn't go on any longer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:22:25 PM »

Oh your thread heading made my heart  leap  :o ………. so pleased to know that you are biting the bullet, have sought advice and are going to try HRT.  Your Mum's cancer may be different to that which might be triggered by HRT  ;) and after all, quality of Life is important.

Do you have Big Plans for your new property and garden?

marras

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:35:00 PM »

Thank you so much for your kind reply. Yes, my husband has been trying to project manage completely re-fitting the bungalow on his own because I haven't had the energy or the enthusiasm. But all change now as I feel I can now pitch in and help....wonderful!

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »

Don't take on too much too soon and burn off those newly energised feelings!  Get him the tinnies, cuppas, gentle massage  ;)

All workmen need a project manager …….

Gardening?

ariadne

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:43:20 PM »

What a lovely post to read marras. To hear that you are feeling so much better after such a long time feeling so ill is wonderful news.

So pleased for you. Hope you enjoy your new home and garden

Ariadne xx

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 09:09:26 AM »

Hi Marras,
It sounds like you have been put on the same regime and saw the same gynaecologist as me. It has made a huge difference to me, apart from suffering from migraines. I used to suffer from migraines since puberty, particularly before a period, but was fortunate to find they subsided with the onset of menopause. Although there are common menopause symptoms, it is so individual how it affects you. I'm so glad you are feeling better. It does get to the point where quality of life becomes more important than quantity and you get to the point where the risks are outweighed by this.

The initial regime with progesterone caused some problems, but I have started a new regime that seems to suit me much better. It would be great to hear how you get on in the future. Enjoy your new house, but do pace yourself.  Ju Ju xx

I started HRT in order to try testosterone therapy, but the testosterone hasn't appeared to help, but oestrogen made a huge difference almost immediately.

marras

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 09:47:55 AM »

Hi JuJu, so pleased to have heard from you. Only been on the regime for a week and feel so much better with no migraines so far; whether they will kick in later or not I don't know! Sorry to hear you are suffering with them. What a bummer. Are you still seeing the lovely lady at Guildford? Thank you to everyone for their good wishes and I am taking things slowly, don't want to interfere in hubby's good work!

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 10:14:19 AM »

I have seen her twice and had a couple of telephone consultations and will probably see her again after a year. I do have the support of a lady GP at my surgery and at present, able to get my prescriptions from this doctor, apart from the testosterone, which is not licensed for women in this country and therefore not available on the NHS. I was told I could carry on 'forever' if I so wished. I still get very tired, but no where near as extreme as before. I was being offered the diagnosis of CFS by several medical 'experts'. It amazes me that a small amount of oestrogen could make so much difference. I do wonder if a higher dose would help even more, but this is where the risks may outweigh the benefit at age 60.

daisie

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 10:43:40 AM »

hi marras reading your comment you sound the same as me .iv been suffering menopause symptoms for the same length of time as you ill be 60 in march and still suffering .the doctors here  are hopless when it comes to the menopause  they don't like giving homones out the reason I think is because they don't know enough about the menopause like you I lost my sister with breast cancer at the age of 35 her being so young realy scared me away from it there is one thing though she never took the hrt was fit and healthy till the breast cancer my symptoms seem to have got worse over the past few months I do realy need to try it as getting desperate now .iv tried it in the past sideaffects was bad so I gave up but I know theres a lot to try doctor did tell me not to be going on it at my age so walked away from the surgery again feeling depressed I was 46 when I started with the symptoms of menopause when I look back nothing as got any better had blood test homones showing they are low but still done nothing to treat me  feel like im stuck with feeling like this forever x

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 12:53:51 PM »

Marras and I saw a gynaecologist privately. I have been given support by my GP, who suggested who to go and see. Obviously this helped. The gynaecologist was matter of fact, kind and experienced in treating older ladies. Yes it costs to get appointments, but so far I have only needed two, plus two much cheaper telephone consultations. Worth every penny. But you do have to choose carefully. I saw another gynaecologist before who said all the usual things about 60 being too old, despite my giving all my information including my age and what I wanted to see her for, to the receptionist before making the appointment. That cost £140!

charliegirl

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 01:16:23 PM »

Hi am just thinking about the insulin resistance bit. I keep getting feeling where if I dont eat something, will go spark out, dizzy and far away, cant concentrate on what people are saying, and sometimes worry that I cant get back home in time,then have to drink sugar in water straight away. Is this insulin resistance :-\

Rowan

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »

Charliegirl make an appointment to see your doctor and tell her what you have said in your post.

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 02:49:07 PM »

Yes, see your GP. It would be worth checking. I do find I feel strange if I don't eat regularly. I was told I was insulin resistant, despite being slim. I didn't have a waist and I lost energy by 11 each morning. I was advised to cut out snacking, sugar and keep to a low carb diet. I took this advice seriously as I have a strong family history of type 2 diabetes. I have lost weight and have rediscovered my waist. I am now a bit less rigid with my diet as I don't want to lose any more weight, but my glucose levels are fine now. They were elevated a bit before. I was advised to eat an egg for breakfast ( I used to have porridge) . This prevents that energy dip. And I do try to eat 3 regular meals every day.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 04:22:02 PM »

I get a sudden feeling of intense hunger sometimes, it's awful.  Dextrose tablets help as do dried mixed fruits and nuts …….. apparently I could be 'borderline' and have blood tests every couple of years.

marras

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »

Hi Daisie, so sorry you feel so awful; I know exactly what it's like. Like you JuJu, I used to have porridge every morning but I used to add a lot of fruit to it especially cranberries. This loaded me up with sugar and the flushes were always much worse in the mornings. I now have salmon, bacon and/or eggs. Also like you, I'm quite slim and I've lost weight already. I realise that HRT is not going to be the cure all. My poor body has taken a lot of bashing over the last 14 or so years, but am feeling better and hope some symptoms will continue to improve. Having heard a lot about the 'dreaded' progesterone, I wonder what's in store for me when I have to have it!
Pages: [1] 2