Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Some difficulty inserting Vagifem pessary  (Read 25916 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Some difficulty inserting Vagifem pessary
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »

Yep - same here! 

BabyJane - a cervical smear is for that, nothing to do with the womb  :-\ …… so your GP/Practice Nurse should still be calling you for smear tests!

dahliagirl

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 01:43:52 PM »

I have had a posterior prolapse repaired and perineum rebuild and tampons stay in now.  ;) I am not supposed to have any other prolapses, according to the urogynae, but I have the same problem sometimes with the vagifem - need to get the angle right. It also depends on how you are standing, and sometimes I am in a hurry/lack concentration and don't think about this. Also, it is so narrow, it gets caught in folds (or somewhere or other - sure it was my cervix being a bit low last time!)  I have to wiggle tampons sometimes.

The vagifem is supposed to help keep the muscles etc healthy and prevent further prolapse, along with being active and doing The Exercises, which was why I was prescribed it in the first place.  So worth using.

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 04:27:02 PM »

BabyJane - a cervical smear is for that, nothing to do with the womb  :-\ …… so your GP/Practice Nurse should still be calling you for smear tests!

But I haven't got a cervix  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 04:40:53 PM »

ah - you didn't say that you said your womb had been removed  ;)

babyjane

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 04:43:48 PM »

I thought the two automatically went together. Why would they leave a cervix behind?  ???

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2014, 04:59:45 PM »

Why not?  The less intervention ?

babyjane

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2014, 05:21:46 PM »

well I'm glad that it wasn't left there to risk getting cancer. I don't miss the smear tests and I have not missed my womb from that day to this.

Taz2

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »

The cervix is often left behind nowadays babyjane as it has an important part to play in our sexual function - both in sensation (for both partners) and lubrication. http://www.hysterectomy-association.org.uk/information/the-emotional-impact-of-hysterectomy/the-unkindest-cut-of-all-removal-of-the-cervix/

Taz x

scriv

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2014, 06:54:59 AM »

Mine went too, babyjane when I had my repair op 10 years ago. The consultant said the uterus was on its way down anyway. Haven't missed it at all!

And I don't have to have smears and am allowed to stay on Vagifem forever according to the doctor. I am thankful for this as I have severe dryness and atrophy.

Taz2

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2014, 07:44:31 AM »

Your extra dryness could be partly due to the missing cervix scriv but I too feel some relief that one cancer worry has been removed even though my cervix was in "tiptop shape - shame to have to take it out really.." according to the surgeon ;D

Taz x

babyjane

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »

thank you for explaining that Taz2. my hysterectomy was nearly 20 years ago now. I expect they know more now but at least it is not a cancer risk. they left my ovaries but they don't function and one has disappeared apparently  ???

scriv

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2014, 01:38:55 PM »

Hmm, maybe, but I am not sure that it is as clear cut with me. I had a very early menopause at 39. I am now 61. I was on HRT for the critical years but the gynae's view was that oestrogen was not reaching the uro genital area and I was very very low on oestrogen there. That is why Vagifem has worked wonders with me.

There was no issue about whether my uterus - and cervix -  had to come out as this was my second major repair op and the uterus was making its sure and steady way down and out by itself. The pelvic floor had to be tightened and strengthened big time!

However, as you say, I am also so pleased there is one less cancer risk.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:43:25 PM by scriv »

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2014, 01:45:38 PM »

That's why I had to have mine removed too scriv. I would have liked to retain it but there was no way - it was determined to become an external organ!!

Taz x  :)

scriv

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »

Yes, so was mine!!! ;) Adventurous!!!

Taz2

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2014, 01:50:03 PM »

:rofl:
Pages: 1 [2] 3