Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Should i give up?????  (Read 4018 times)

damsondebbie

Should i give up?????
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:52:12 PM »

Hi everyone

This is the first time I have posted on here but I just don't know what to do.  I have been on Kliovance for approx 8 months.  First 3 months were awful, loads of bleeding and really bad period pain.  It did seem to settle down and last time I went to doctors she gave me six months.  However in the last 10 days I have started with really bad period dragging pain for most of the day.  Also my boobs kill and I have had a bit of spotting.  I am living on painkillers!  I am going on holiday tomorrow till fri so wont be able to get to the doctors for at least a week (if I can get an appointment!!!)

I would like peoples opinions on whether it is worth persevering with hrt as it hasn't provided the 'miracle cure' I was hoping for.  It has stopped the flushes but I am generally hot for a lot of the time.  I also have irritable bowel which seems much worse since being on the hrt.  What does everyone think?

Dancinggirl

Re: Should i give up?????
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 05:30:19 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM damsondebbie
This site is a great source of help and support.  do read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and get back to us with questions.
You haven't given us your age or any details about your meno experience -  if we know more this helps us to help you.
When I was young I used to get horrible periods pains each month until I went on the Pill.  When I had to go onto HRT because I had a premature menopause I found the period pains did return with the withdrawal bleed which was a pain in every sense of the word!!!! :-X.
I assume you are post menopause as Kliovance is a continuous HRT preparation - it is quite common to get break through bleeding for the first few months on conti HRT. Many women choose to use a sequential HRT which gives a monthly withdrawal bleed so they don't get the painful breasts and general side effects of continuous progesterone. I hated having painful breasts when I tried various continuous HRTs - I ended up with the Mirena and Oestrogel which was much better.
You may like to consider trying a different HRT type e.g. Femoston - Femoston has a kinder progesterone which is tolerated very well by many women.  You could try the sequential form of this to start with and if it suits you then try the continuous version.
There are many other options is to try e.g. Oestrogel or oestrogen patches with Utrogestan or the Mirena. You'll find all the options here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatment.php
Do read up everything and get back to us with questions - we aren't experts by any means but many of us have experience of the different HRTs that can be useful.
Hopefully others will be along soon with their thoughts and advice.
DG x

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 05:45:13 PM »

Hi everyone

This is the first time I have posted on here but I just don't know what to do.  I have been on Kliovance for approx 8 months.  First 3 months were awful, loads of bleeding and really bad period pain.  It did seem to settle down and last time I went to doctors she gave me six months.  However in the last 10 days I have started with really bad period dragging pain for most of the day.  Also my boobs kill and I have had a bit of spotting.  I am living on painkillers!  I am going on holiday tomorrow till fri so wont be able to get to the doctors for at least a week (if I can get an appointment!!!)

I would like peoples opinions on whether it is worth persevering with hrt as it hasn't provided the 'miracle cure' I was hoping for.  It has stopped the flushes but I am generally hot for a lot of the time.  I also have irritable bowel which seems much worse since being on the hrt.  What does everyone think?
Hello and welcome to the forum.
As far as I can see Kliovance is for post menopausal women.
I'm perimenopausal but I wanted to say hello and reply.

It sounds like you need to go back to the doctor and tell them what's been going on.
I think irregular bleeding is more common on post meno hrt's, but don't give up yet, many women's first hrt doesn't suit them and they have go either change the dose or change the hrt.
<<<<<<<<<<<<Over there, down the left hand side is a list of hormone replacement options and therapies. Here is a list of the hormone replacement preparations available for post-menopausal women. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

Sorry your IBS has been made worse since going on the HRT.
I was on Femoston for nearly a year, it didn't work, a difficult doctor appointment put me off asking for different HRT.
During that time, my IBS got worse, but now that I am on a different sort, it seems to have gone away.
I dont believe the femoston caused the IBS, I just think there was not enough oestrogen being absorbed, and as I am peri, maybe my body was making less and less, hence the worsening IBS.
I am not a doctor though, I am listening to my body.
Also, I know you are post meno, but maybe you are not absorbing tablet form.
Dr Currie said that some women do not absorb HRT tablets very well.
While the oestraiol in klivonace is bio-identical, like our own, the progestin in it is synthetic.
Some women get on with synthetic progestins, but others don't. Norethisterone keeps coming up in posts I read as problematic for many women, but there are other synthetic progestins, or there is utrogestan, a bio
identical progesterone.
HRT is important for osteoporosis and cardiac problems, but some women choose to go bareback with none or they choose a natural form of hrt. This does not offer any protection against osteoporosis or cardiac problems though.

Some women choose pharmecutical drugs for low moods and anxiety, there are a few options and each individual woman must choose what feels right for her, and be prepared to change things around a bit if their first choice does not suit.

There are many other women on these boards who are more expert than me, and if any of the above is incorrect, for any of you other women reading this, please let me know.

Ultimately Damsondebbie, don't give up after your first try of hrt, there are loads of other options.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 07:40:23 PM »

Hi damsondebbie

Just to say  :welcomemm: and you have already been given good advice by Dancinggirl and Dandelion.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 03:30:29 PM »

Bounce for information

Nas

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 04:42:46 PM »

Hi damson,
Don’t give up, it’s a minefield the whole HRT world and what works for one, doesn’t for the other. Are you post menopausal? Have you  had all the bleeds checked out?

It doesn’t sound as though this HRT suits you very well? There are loads to try, patch, gel, spray, other tablets.

I’m on evorel 75 with utrogestan. First few months, loads of bleeds, pains, pmt. I still don’t know if it’s right for me, but going to give it 2 more months then  swap to something ekes if I bleed one more time ( or change progesterone)

You don’t have to stay on the same product forever. It’s all trial and error in afraid.

Best of luck 🤞🤞😀