Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Blood Hormone Levels  (Read 5279 times)

toffeecushion

Blood Hormone Levels
« on: November 19, 2014, 10:46:16 AM »

Am I right in thinking that it is the dip in estrogen that gives us the peri symptoms?   If I am right can you have a dip in estrogen and still have a low FSH level?  Which would mean that testing FSH levels alone is pretty pointless.

Hurdity

Re: Blood Hormone Levels
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:23:52 PM »

Hi toffeecushion

It is the dramatic fluctuation in both progesterone and oestrogen that causes lots of the peri-menopausal symptoms - and they have different effects when they rise and fall!

Have you seen the article about what happens in peri-menopause here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

The fall in oestrogen can lead to depressed mood as well as flishes and sweats etc and evetually the persistent low oestrogen means these symptoms, and others, are present all the time in some women. Here is the information about the symptoms:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/symptoms.php

The sudden crashes in progesterone can cause weepiness and tearfulness and irritability like pmt, as well as the fall in oestrogen. However once progesterone has stablised (at a low level) the symptoms associated with it disappear although the oestrogen deficiency ones remain.

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:36:04 PM »

Hi Toffeecushion
I have low estrogen and low FSH levels  (low FSH as in normal/low). I am on HRT on the assumption that I am classified as peri because of symptoms and low estrogen, despite FSH not being high. Hope that makes sense!
B x

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:59:52 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

My fsh levels were low but I am having symptoms and am wondering whether to get my estrogen levels  checked

Briony

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 10:19:55 PM »

I would. You have nothing to lose. It helped me know 'for sure' too as my symptoms were a real mixed bag and a small part of me feared it was something else (worse) despite my gut feeling thinking it was hormonal. Good luck x

toffeecushion

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »

I would. You have nothing to lose. It helped me know 'for sure' too as my symptoms were a real mixed bag and a small part of me feared it was something else (worse) despite my gut feeling thinking it was hormonal. Good luck x

Thanks.   I'm the same.   I am sure it is perimenopause but am worried it is something else.   Did you have your blood test at a certain time of the month?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »

Hi tofeecushion

Here is the info about blood tests and diagnosis of menopause
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

One blood test alone won't tell you very much as levels vary so much throughout the cycle and between women, and indeed during peri-menopause, but it can be useful to have a few reference points perhaps.

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:22:23 PM »

Had a couple which showed estrogen was low but acceptable. Then did one during my period which was significantly below normal . This triggered my GP to say I needed HRT, especially as I am only 42 ('only 42' - I feel 82 at the moment!!). If you find out your estrogen, take care to know what unit it was measured in as 'normal' readings (and these are very variable in themselves) can be stated in one of two different units. (Thanks to Hurdity for pointing this out - until then, I'd got myself very confused at what seemed to be contradictory information!).  Good luck x

toffeecushion

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 06:24:16 PM »

Do you mind me asking - what was your FSH level?

Briony

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:17:07 PM »

Wish I knew! He just said 'normal for your age, not elevated'. Got a new GP so I will ask next time I go. My estrogen on Day 5 of cycle was 41 pmoL  (11 pg/oL).

toffeecushion

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »

I think I will have my estrogen tested during my next period.  I had my FSH tested and at the beginning of the year it was 8 and a little while ago it was 10.  So my GP has said everything is normal.  Definitely don't feel normal, but who am I to say, it's only my body.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 07:22:39 PM by toffeecushion »

Briony

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 07:27:24 PM »

I understand, totally. We know our own bodies more than our GPs. Mine is convinced that you need hot flushes to be even peri menopausal and would not accept that my shoulder and ankle pains, plus dizziness and tummy issues were hormonal - instead he sent me for endless irrelevant tests that made my anxiety worse than ever. Was so relieved when a) I found this site and b) he admitted how low was estrogen was. I suddenly no longer feel alone or mad. It has been a horrible few years - I was beginning to think it was all my imagination! - so really hoping the new HRT will have some impact soon. Good luck - let me know how you get on x