Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Duvets and hot flushes  (Read 23105 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Duvets and hot flushes
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 04:08:59 PM »

It costs more to wash duvets and blankets in the laundry than it does to buy new ones  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 04:33:37 PM »

I did read some good reviews on wool ones. They are really expensive but are supposed to last for years and are very good for temperature control.

Honeyb
X

babyjane

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 04:46:21 PM »

I disagree CLKD, it costs around a fiver in our launderette. I wouldn't get a king size duvet of any worth for a fiver  ::)

I am allergic to wool  :(

CLKD

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 05:44:21 PM »

A fiver - it costs £8+ here and duvets cost £12 ………..

Joyce

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »

4.5 tog KS duvet cost me £18 to get cleaned. Now I buy new ones, which cost less. Not good for the environment I know, but cleaning costs are ridiculous. My son had a leather jacket cleaned. Cost £80! He said never again.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 08:55:26 PM »

I never find leather warm to wear     :-\ …………

Duvets are good to put over ground to keep weeds down …. so you could offer them up to allotments holders or on freecycle

Dorothy

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 04:28:17 PM »

Does anyone use a duvet made of something other than hollowfill or feather? And is it any better?

I can't leave the heating on in my bedroom as I don't have any...

Could you get a plug in heater and leave it on a low setting overnight?  I've taken to warming up my room with a heater and the bed with a hot water bottle just before I go to bed; then I am warm enough for me not to have to snuggle under the duvet and overheat later.  I push the bottle out before I go to sleep or else leave it at the bottom of the bed - sometimes my top half is on fire and my toes are still freezing  ::)

Emzee

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »

I recently discovered the scooms hungarian down duvet. A little more than I usually spend but it has changed the way I sleep.  Event gets hubby approval! I did a lot of research and found that having the right natural down and casing is important so that it breathes.  I see they have a useful guide to help.

luna66

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 02:02:48 AM »

I bought a wool duvet and a wool mattress topper to help with my heat in the night. I love them.

BUT the thing that made the most difference to hot sweats in the night was a long-sleeved merino top. Utterly amazing. They wick away sweat, don't smell, and keep you dry. Mine weren't cheap but worth every penny and I washed them again and again and they were as good as new. Don't wear them now as HRT has stopped the night sweats (thank god), but still love my wool duvet.

am#

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 04:31:26 PM »

I got a new one a couple of months ago , microfibre keeps us nice and warm we have no heating running through night , no tog rating on it though , we are in Spain but can get quite cold during night as no central heating . I used to sleep with pjs on but now can't with the hot flushes!!!

rebecca

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »

I use a silk duvet and have never had a problem of overheating and sweating.
It is very light weight as well.
However, the polyester filled duvet and pillows do make me sweat... 

Annika

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »

We live in sweaty Florida so my duvet lands on the floor every night  ;D I have yet to find a perfect way to sleep as its a fight all the time either to hot or to cold. I have tried laying under a cotton blanket but once the air conditioner kicks in or we have the odd cold night it wakes me up being to cool meanwhile hubby never moves sleeps like a bloody log  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 07:42:40 PM »

We ditched the duvet in the 1990s as it caused the allergic rhinitis to be really troublesome.  We went back to cotton sheets, blankets and an eider-down though I don't think that the latter, actually is .......

The idea with duvets is that each person on the bed has his/her own!  Not to be shared.  So that they tuck in round the individual.

Emzee

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2018, 08:50:40 PM »

test
Pages: 1 [2]