Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Duvets and hot flushes  (Read 23025 times)

FlorayG

Duvets and hot flushes
« on: November 18, 2014, 12:39:48 PM »

Has anyone found a type of duvet that you don't have to be constantly roasting/freezing/ duvet on/duvet off all night?
I've been considering a wool Baavet one as they say that they release heat when you get hot, which feather and down ones don't (a bird apparently lifts its feathers up to release heat when it is hot but a sheep doesn't have to do anything ???). I need a new duvet anyway so will have to spend the money somewhere but does anyone have any suggestions good or bad? Found one that was great or one that was a waste of money? thanks

Winterose

Re: Duvets and hot flushes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »

What tog do you sleep under?

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 01:21:28 PM »

I use a 4 tog duvet but have a throw on standby to add if necessary. In summer I'd love a lighter weight one but have struggled to find one.  You need one with a cotton cover too, otherwise it's a big like sleeping in a bin liner.

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »

I use a 4 tog too

FlorayG

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »

I don't know the tog but probably quite high as I don't have any heating in my bedroom and it's freezing. Until I started hot flushes this was fine, but now as the hot flush fades I absolutely freeze out of my duvet! This means I wake up twice, once too hot and then soon after too cold
All my bedclothes and pyjamas are pure cotton

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »

Oh yes, that's the norm in our bedroom - wake up hot and wet, throw off duvet, nod off, wake up chilled, pull on duvet and snuggle down and play being a dormouse.  At least it's only once or at most twice a night now.

We have 10.5 in winter and 4.5 in summer.  When very cold husband has a single 4,5 on his 10,5 side as he doesn't have hot flushes  :hotflash:

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »

After replacing my old hollowfibre one with an expensive and unsuccessful feather and down one, I bought a microfibre 'feels like silk' 10.5 tog from Sainsbury's and it has been my favourite.  I have an old quilted cover on the foot end, and replace it with a 4 tog during cold winter weather. 

I keep the central heating on at about 15C overnight.  I have found it helpful not to have extremes of temperature either way.  If the room is too cold, I have to snuggle under the duvet, overheat, throw it off and then  rapidly freeze over in an unpleasant, wet manner.  A warmer room and lighter duvet suit me better.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 04:39:05 PM »

Although we don't have our CH on overnight our room rarely drops below 16c unless we have a really big freeze

FlorayG

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 08:38:17 AM »

Does anyone use a duvet made of something other than hollowfill or feather? And is it any better?

I can't leave the heating on in my bedroom as I don't have any...

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »

Phew, all this talk of duvets is making me feel  :hotflash:  Our bedroom is warm due to the airing cupboard being in the corner of the room so at the moment we're just sleeping under a duvet cover with a cotton blanket on top - when it starts to get cold the duvet will come out but only 4.5 in the winter otherwise we both end up steaming  ;)

FlorayG

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 11:47:26 AM »

Girls, you're all talking about tog ratings. I'm asking about fillings...

tiger74

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 12:13:22 PM »

Hi FlorayG

I'd been following this thread as I too had hoped for some feedback about Baavets (thinking of buying one).  I hope you don't mind but I've started a new thread with Baavet in the title so that maybe it'll attract the attention of someone who has invested in one and has some first-hand experience.

I hate the night-sweats (and the smell of stale sweat in the bedroom in the morning)  :(

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 12:37:46 PM »

I tried the feather and down, because it was natural and after 10years, I got fed up of being too cold in bed to get to sleep, then too hot in the middle of the night.

I am quite happy with my upmarket supermarket microfibre one.  I was looking at the wool ones and silk mix ones.  The microfibre one caught my eye and at £45 (they were more last time I saw them) for a king size, it was worth the risk.  It is instantly warm, unlike the feather one, and softer than the hollowfibre, so that it does not leave such big gaps round the edges.

When I had mastitis a lot, whilst breastfeeding, I used to get drenched, and used a good quality cotton top sheet as well to soak up all the sweat!  I could chuck it out in the night if it got too wet.

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 04:13:29 PM »

They wash in a large launderette machine, no need to throw them away surely?  :)

FlorayG

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 02:43:24 PM »

I checked the tog rating on my current duvet and its a 12.5 tog.
I couldn't possibly sleep under a 4.5 tog I'd freeze in between flushes!
Has anyone any more experience of different fillings? (rather than different togs)
Pages: [1] 2