Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New Member: Starting HRT with Oestrogel/Utrogestan but questions  (Read 2660 times)

abbyH

New Member: Starting HRT with Oestrogel/Utrogestan but questions
« on: November 17, 2014, 12:26:02 PM »

Hello there, I'm Abby, new to the forum, been really grateful to have found it and been able to get my GP to prescribe what seems to be an optimal regime for many.. I've had probably about 3 years of symptoms, which have included really heavy periods, hence my question.

I had a heavy bleed in August that didn't stop - and am severely iron deficient have lost a lot of hair etc etc.. My doc put me on Norithisterone and Transfemic acid and I've since had a scan which reveals a small fibroid in the uterus wall (intramuscular) I can't have it taken out but i may be able to have an embolisation to shrink it..

My question is, the Norithisterone stopped the non stop bleeding and I was taking 2 5mg tablets a day. I switched over 2 days ago to Uterogestan (100mg taken vaginally) as I'm going to do the 25 out of 28 days to see if I can get a cycle established before going onto 200mg for 12...

Im having a pale bleed (as of this morning) having taken the Uterogestan for two nights.. what should I do if this continues? and isnt the progesterone I'm taking going to have the same effect (of stopping me bleed) as the other stuff (which I hate taking as it makes me put on weight and feel blue)

I'm really excited to be starting this regime, I'm 50 and have been having regular but very heavy periods, mood swings, hot sweats and flushes (for the last year or so) and feeling terribly not myself.. I hope to feel better soon, but really want to get my iron levels back to normal which can only happen if I stop bleeding so much!  Advice please, and also whether I should do the 25 days 100mg progesterone regime and have a small bleed every month, or could I do it another way and just not bleed at all for a while, as I really feel I need to build back up my iron (and would be quite happy not to have another period!)

Thanks for reading.. there's such a wealth of information here that I never knew existed, keep up the good work!

Hurdity

Re: New Member: Starting HRT with Oestrogel/Utrogestan but questions
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »

Hi abbyH

:welcomemm:

Glad to hear your GP is prescribing you bio-identcial HRT that many of us are using and many more of us would like to use!

Firstly regarding norethisterone - it is a much more powerful progestogen ( in keeping the womb lining thin) than progesterone itself, which is why it is used to control bleeding, and is used in many HRT types as the progestogenic opposition to the oestrogen in HRT.

Secondly the dose you have been taking ( 10 mg per day) is more than 10 times higher than used in HRT for the above purpose ( to keep the lining thin).

Therefore if whatever is causing your heavy bleeding is still there (albeit fibroids, or a lot of oestrogen), when you reduce the amount - I can understand why bleeding may continue. If your lining is still thicker than it should be then some still needs to be shed, and the effect of changing from the very hgih dose of norethisterone to the maintenance dose  of Utrogestan, would be enough to trigger a bleed - because the falling progesterone has this effect.

It remains to be seen whether you will settle on 100 mg for 25 days out of 28 and just get a small bleed after the days off. However the near continuous progesterone and continuous added oestorgen in the form of gel should really help with sweats and flushes and should help to even out your mood swings.

I'm not sure what happenes to the progesterone used vaginally if bleeding is present as it isn't designed to be used vaginally with bleeding, and the flow may prevent the progesterone from reaching the uterus?

The way to not bleed at all (eventually) if you are peri-menopausal is to have a Mirena coil which is so powerful it stops bleeding for many women - or gives a small bleed only in women who normally have heavy bleeds. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/to_progestogens.php scroll down.

So difficult to predict if you are peri-menopausal and also with a fibroid. I have a very small one ( less than 1 cm in summer 2013) but I fear it might have grown since then as I am on cyclical HRT and oestrogen does promote fibroid growth. A Mirena is often recommended for those with fibroids because it can shrink them:

Fibroids   
    Fibroids are benign smooth muscle tumours of the uterine (womb) wall and are dependant on estrogen. They tend to shrink after the menopause but shrinkage may not occur, or they may even increase in size with HRT use. Increase is thought to occur in 25% of HRT users and mainly occurs in the first six months of therapy. There is some evidence that transdermal (patch or gel) but not tablet HRT nor tibolone may promote fibroid growth. [ref 24] Fibroid size can be monitored by regular examinations and sometimes by ultrasound scans. There is some evidence that the use of the progestogen releasing intra-uterine system, Mirena may cause fibroids to reduce in size. Mirena is often used in the perimenopause by women who have heavy periods and/or require contraception and can provide the progestogen part of their HRT.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossF

Theoretically there is minimal systemic absorption of the progestogen with the Mirena although some women are sensitive to the little that gets through.

If the bleeding continues have a word with your doctor - but to me this would be expected from what you have said. Hopefully it will settle eventually!

Hope this helps.

Hurdity x

abbyH

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:05:37 PM »

Hi Hurdity, thank you for this.. Yes, that explains it, I was mistakenly thinking the uterogestan would do the same job as the Norithisterone... I'm not sure I can cope with any more non stop bleeding.. I will give it a few days and then go back and see Doc.. I'd really rather not have any more periods which was what I was hoping HRT would be able to give me at least temporarily anyway while I get my iron levels back

I'll see if it settles down and take some transfemic acid too

Abby :)

abbyH

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »

I am a little worried that Mirena would give me the same side effects as Norithisterone (which has been more hair loss, weight gain) but if I can't control the fibroid bleeding feel I may have no choice!

They do try and push that option first!

Abby