Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: hand x ray  (Read 8032 times)

pj44

hand x ray
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »

Hi. I have to go for a hand x ray sunday. As i suffer with anxiety\ panic attacks im scared. Has anyone been for one and what us involved? Thanks for any replies.

Claireylou

Re: hand x ray
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »

Hi pj,

Nothing at all to worry about, honestly. I had one two years ago when I fractured a bone in my thumb/wrist. I was called into the X-ray room, asked to put a special vest thingy on to protect from any radiation. The radiographer placed my hand on an X-ray table, went behind the screen and took some X-rays. Totally painless and over in seconds.

I know how you feel with anxiety and getting worked up about things but honestly it's nothing to worry about.

Take care xx

Rowan

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 11:12:27 AM »

I had one too, absolutely nothing to worry about, as Claireylou has said totally painless and over in seconds.

pj44

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:40:47 AM »

Oh thank you. Makes me feel better.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »

Yep me too, fell in the snow and had a suspected broken wrist. In and out in two mins. Also attended numerous Xrays with my children who had a habit of falling over or off things on a regular basis. Almost had our own seats in the dept.

Don't worry.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 01:50:07 PM »

You will be asked when you last monthly period was ……… then you'll be given a protective gown, the hand will be placed onto a plate hey presto!  Did you fall?

pj44

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »

Clkd. . Im having tests done for rumathoid arthristus. I have numbness in some fingers and sometimes they ache. Also have like lumps on the tip of my fingers by my thumbs.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 03:13:54 PM »

Rhuematoid can be diagnosed by blood tests when the inflammation is acute and can be felt on clinical examination.  X-ray will show any areas of 'disease' in the joint areas.  It shouldn't take long but do tell the radiographer on the day that you are nervous.  Or ring them once you get the appt. for reassurance.

Gold injections were used in the 1970s for RA treatment.

pj44

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 03:39:33 PM »

I had a blood test last wednesday.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 04:21:34 PM »

You're getting the 'right' treatment then.  Result through yet?

pj44

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 04:51:18 PM »

Not rang doctors yet. Will do monday.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 05:17:22 PM »

Let us know!

pj44

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2014, 02:42:24 PM »

Had a letter from doctors yesterday. Saying they had results from blood test and could i make an appointment at doctors. I went to my doctors yesterday have appointment for monday afternoon. Receptionist said result were borderline not sure what that means. I would need to talk to doctor about any treatment. Have hand xray in the morning.

babyjane

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »

all the best pj44. I have a strong family history of RA and autoimmune disease. I think it comes down mother's family line because her grandparents were first cousins and they both had it. I have the nodules on my fingers and enlarged knuckles and my index fingers are twisted. I had a blood test but it was clear so osteoarthritis suspected at this point but my medical history is documented in my records.

Good luck for your results

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 03:25:31 PM »

My mother's hands are fine at 92 but my sister has the nodules and twisted fingers and so do I. I hate it. I have never mentioned it to my GP because I don't think there is much that can be done.

I do have diagnosed arthritis in both of my knees as does my sister. Mother again is fine.
Again not much that can be done for that either. Oh this getting older is so much fun  ::)

Good luck with your xray. You will be in and out in a flash.

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2 3