Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Where do you live?  (Read 11248 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Where do you live?
« on: November 02, 2014, 07:02:33 PM »

Watching Country File this evening and seeing children going to City Farms to learn about animals: and I know there are petting farms across the UK ………. being told that Schools are no longer teaching farming ……. we didn't get told about farming other than in general geography.  Perhaps because I was raised in the Fens  :-\ but that didn't mean I knew about farming because it was 'out there' …… other than we need calves so that cows continue giving milk and that the beef is a side-product …...

I would love a small holding: ducks, chickens, turkeys but not sheep or pigs, would get too fond of those  ::): a large lake for fishing …….. but that is a responsibility ….

Where do you live and how much do you know about farming in general, other than buying your milk, cheese, yoghurts etc.? 

Millykin

Re: Where do you live?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »

I'll live in Scotland surrounde by farms we are a farming village, my backdoor is next to farming fields and full of sheep and lambs at Easter it is great, we see all sorts of animals her second nature to our kids, sometimes you wonder though when they were young we went to a zoo and what were they most interested in yes some sheep! X

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 07:51:56 PM »

We are quite rural, albeit coastal. Rural behind and the sea in front. My kids grew up knowing what came from what. We still took them to farm parks though and when I think of it.... ::)

I was trailed around farms as a child as my dad visited through work. My memories are of kindly women feeding me scones and milk and being shown all the baby animals. I clearly remember bottle feeding lambs in a very grand country kitchen. The owner was not there as they were Lord and Lady ### but the cook was  ::)

At one time I wanted the croft type thing, but after seeing a friend really struggle with that kind of life style I decided against.
We were very into horses and ponies when the kids were small....to be honest it was more for me than them. Leased a couple of ponies at one point and was glad we had not bought.

I was never and could never be a city girl. My heart is by the sea and always will be.

Honeyb
x

Oh and I'm sea sick  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »

I would love a small holding: ducks, chickens, turkeys but not sheep or pigs, would get too fond of those

CLKD - Ducks are lovely how could anybody not get fond of those? Chickens have their moments too.

Now I live in very rural area.  Till I was 8 ish I lived in a city 2 up 2 down area. 8 till 16 suburbia, 20 onwards rural.

Hattie

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »

I am a farmers daughter but never encouraged to go into farming - my father needed a son when i was born !

Have lived in two cities for a short while at the start of married life but the rest in three different rural villages. Now live near fields and farming - means a lot to me - guess i still understand some farming in general or maybe it is just what i remember now - times change.

Hattie X

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 09:10:19 PM »

:thankyou:

"forest school teaching" was mentioned this evening too on CFile.  Whereas we walked everywhere if we weren't cycling.  Only 1 car in the household which Dad used to go to work.  My Dad was raised near the coast, Mum near a City ……… we were raised with Grandparents/parents/uncles/aunts growing all our fruit/veg. and I remember Granny having a soft woollen hat in which the chicks were put by the fire when we visited so that we could see them.  Wonder what the broody thought  ::)

We had forests an hour's drive away and it was where we went for picnics which were all-day events.  Running around in the sandy loamy soil, sitting down quietly to eat the picnic, resting then racing around again.   So the concept of 'forest school' seems strange, they do that in our area too.  There were 11 wood yards in our area ……. the last 1 closed 10 years ago.

Now I live 3 hours from the coast <sigh> and yearn to move closer ……..

Millykin

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 09:14:46 PM »

I'm like you honeybun costal at front rural at back, we are so lucky to have beautiful views, just don't realise it till your out and about in the city and driving home you see all the lovely countryside in one side and sea view on another😃
X

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »

I love my coastline and the views of the islands. I have lived in this general area all my life and would not move now. One mile up a hill takes me to the country side.

As a child my days out first with mother and then will friends was the beach. All the mum's would get together in the morning and we would walk to the beach. Sandy sandwiches and warm lemonade  ;D.
As a teen I got a lot of freedom. On a ferry with a bike and a packed lunch and back before dark.
My kids got to do much the same. We spent a lot of time beside the water but for me not on it. My kids both sail, and canoe and wind surf.

Happy days.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 10:23:31 PM »

Farm across main road from us, cows & sheep. Although, if local authority get their way, it will be an additional 4,000 homes. Grrrr. We've objected.

When we lived in Inverness we had a local farm shop 5 minutes walk away. It is all houses now. Shame. Went some lovely walks into the hills with daughter in pram all those years ago.

I do remember getting taught farming basics in geography though. Rotating crops etc.

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 10:28:38 PM »

I grew up in a town, which seemed to have all the disadvantages of urban living and none of the advantages. I remember standing at the bus stop, on the way to school, dreaming of living in the country. My parents still live in the same house they bought in 1958, so I still visit and my feelings haven't changed. The traffic is horrendous. My husband was given the chance to move back there years back, but we did not even consider it even for a second. The first conversation my husband and I had was about where we aspired to live and discovered we wanted the same. We live in a village surrounded by beautiful countryside, but near to 2 lovely cathedral cities. Here I feel feel peaceful. It is peaceful. All I can hear apart from next doors oil boiler, is owls. No cars. Oh and a moo from the cow in the field behind. Should be asleep!

I don't remember being taught about farming, but I wasn't ignorant. My mum grew up in London, then was evacuated to Cornwall during the war. She had had no idea about where milk came from, but found out the hard way. She learnt how to milk cows the old fashioned way!

tawanda

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »

Born and raised in a large city,vbut sent to a special boarding school (for disabled children) when I was 11, in the middle of Sherwood Forest. This began a life long love affair with nature, and especially woodland environs.

Now live in rural Nth Wales. Village setting but out my front windows I see only fields full of cows and sheep.  The village school is surrounded by fields full of cows who often peer though the windows and watch the children's lessons! The village post office cat also takes in lessons roaming from classroom to classroom most days. It's like something from a Miss Read novel.

Three miles away is a stunning coastal forest overlooking Snowdonia. I take my assistance dog there most days. I love the sea, but my heart beats faster when I can trundle through the forest, breathing in the earthy aromas and listen to the breeze ruffling the treetops.

purplenanny

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 09:42:40 AM »

tawanda - I want to live in your house!

It sounds idyllic and I love the way you describe the forest sounds and smells.  You should write a poem, have you ever done so?

PN x x

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »

We live in a village in Suffolk and are on the edge of a lot of open countryside.  Within a 5 minute drive we can be out in open fields with the dogs and we're only 40 mins from the coast as well so best of both worlds in my eyes.  We have several very good farm shops in easy distances to us and regular farmers markets in the next town.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2014, 03:04:56 PM »

I've been looking at properties nearer the coast this week - in Northumberland  :-\ - but we have a good GP, lovely Dentist, village shop and PO, close to good hospitals, good fish and chip shop 4 miles away and only an hour from the Cotswolds.  It would be a worry if the sea was on our doorstep  ;D but I do miss the coast  :'(

There are small towns that I could live in - I like cafe street culture on a fine day  ;)

Love your description of Nrth Wales Tawanda  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:14:45 PM by CLKD »

bramble

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »

I live in a small village in Scotland. Pop of around 3000. it is central to most of the motorways and we have a doctors, dentist, PO and library as well as some shops and take aways in the village. Very convenient.
Bramble
Pages: [1] 2 3