Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What frightens you about the Meno and HRT?  (Read 18342 times)

honeybun

Re: What frightens you about the Meno and HRT?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »

Anxiety again is the big one for most of us it would seem. And not one of us has a answer which really disturbs me.
Dr Currie has started a lot of topics ....How do you cope with aches and pains etc....but there is no mention of anxiety.

Perhaps we need professional advice as to ways of dealing with what appears to be one of the most challenging parts of meno.

Honeyb
x

babyjane

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 02:53:24 PM »

could it be that anxiety comes on later in meno or is that not right?  My hot flushes started 5 years ago and are milder and less frequent now but the anxiety has only come on this year.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2014, 03:23:48 PM »

I have been anxious for Life - my first panic attack was at aged 3.  Tensions between my parents hard wired my anxiety responses.  Even now - when I realise how much Dad's problems were triggered by my Mum's behaviour - won't ease any anxiety surges which take over.

I have 40mg beta-blocka at night and morning - plus an emergency pill to take when anxiety floors me. Without medication I wouldn't live for very long.  I NEVER want to feel as ill as I did on 13th June 1991 ……. I still don't know how I survived that day …….

Plus the AD.  For 3 months earlier this year I managed to cut the BB in half ……… I did so because I was feeling headachy every morning - that worked too, my head cleared a lot. 

I self medicate with support from my GP. 

Hurdity

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »

I haven't read all of this thread but just wanted to say that knowledge is empowering! We should not be frightened of menopause itself although it may well be unpleasant and uncomfortable for some of us, for some of the time.

The more we are able to read and find out about it, then the more equipped we are to deal with the symptoms and where possible take action to alleviate or minimise them. The knowledge and understanding should help us take control positively rather than dwell on the negative.

Somewhere in the thread the link between mind and body was emphasised and this is so important at menopause.

Similarly with HRT - reading about it on web-sites such as this one, and the links to recent papers and news articles rather than listening to scare stories from the bad press and friends - should give us the confidence to improve our lives because the risks are small.

There are natural fears about ageing and cancer which I am sure we all have deep down - I know I do, although I try not to acknowledge them as they are destructive!

Really I want to say that it is so important to try to have a positive outlook at this point in our lives - but I appreciate that some have situations in their lives that make this more challenging. All the more reason to make sure your body is in as good a condition as it can be so that you can cope with what life throws at us and/or make important decisions that we might need to do.

I hope this doesn't sound too glib! It isn't meant to....

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »

Anxiety is very wearying  :-\  :'(

babyjane

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »

Wish there was a magic button for anxiety but I'm someone who got up at 8 years of age in the middle of the night to finish my Divinity class picture in case the teacher got cross with me  ::)  Both parents v anxious people too.

Oldsheep - that was me too - the constant worrier, even got mentioned in school reports!  Another product of anxious parents!  So wearing isn't it.

S x

me three, seems to be a pattern here :-(

Dandelion

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 04:09:23 PM »

WOW what a difficult thread to read, but, thanks DG for starting it because women have had chance to air their fears and discover common grounds.
Anxiety,  I have always been a nervy person and a worrier, but 5 years ago, this different sort of anxiety crept in and has not gone away since.
Dementia, yeah, that scares the sh*t out of me. A warm corpse with a pulse.
Vulnerability, I didn't even get up yesterday, I stayed in bed. Well, a friend called round to borrow something and I tried to stay up, but within five minutes I was back in bed.
I'm six days into 50mcg evorel, the doctor would only prescribe 25mcgs, and I knew that wouldn't work, given my sauna like disabling flushes and all the other meno symptoms.
The patch has started to work, but I am still getting flushes, so I will probably give it a bit longer, but, I may move to 75mcg evorel.
I kept losing it when I wasnt on hrt. Everything was a worry, and I cried loads.
Dunno why some doctors begrudge hrt, its not a controlled drug like opiates or tranquilisers.
I would understand doctors begrudging addictive controlled drugs, for obvious reasons but why begrudge hrt?
My heart goes out to all you girls who are suffering, maybe you need a higher dose of hrt, I dunno?

bramble

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »

I do remember when I was young and my mother bought me a brand new guides blouse (most of my clothes were hand me downs at that point), lying in my bed worrying that I might not like the guides.......
Bramble

CLKD

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2014, 06:59:05 PM »

Oh I had tights on ……. for ballet ……. which had a pouch at the front which made me think that I looked like a boy  :-\ ………. I was SO embarrassed because the tights were too big  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »

Yep - the gut is where anxiety lurks, despite knowing that this is 'flight or fight' response doesn't help at all  ::) and I would feel sick before school every day and sometimes would play truant ………

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »

I didn't - eventually  ;)

Dandelion

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2014, 10:21:37 PM »

yeah, i know that tummy feeling.
When i got anxious the word 'tum' would come in my mind anf i would get that horrible feeling in my tummy.
I wonder if people can get stomach complaints from too many of these tummy feelings, like the stomach tensing up too many times.
I know helicobactor (sp?) bug causes ulcers, but can anxiety do it also?

honeybun

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2014, 10:32:43 PM »

I used to run away from school because I was scared I would be sick. A boy who shared a desk with me had thrown up all over our shared desk and then was sick on my school bag. I used to end up at a lovely old aunt that I had. She would take me home and I was taken back to school. If only someone had just thought to move my seat in class. I must have been about seven and I have had emitophobia ever since.

So yes my stomach anxiety goes back decades.

I did go through about a thirty year period that I was just fine, just some background anxiety occasionally. It's meno that's brought it all back.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2014, 11:25:47 PM »

Oh Honeybun  :'( - I expect you remember every moment of that, I certainly do ……….. that is the reason I would play truant …..

Dandelion

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2014, 11:50:07 PM »

I used to run away from school because I was scared I would be sick. A boy who shared a desk with me had thrown up all over our shared desk and then was sick on my school bag. I used to end up at a lovely old aunt that I had. She would take me home and I was taken back to school. If only someone had just thought to move my seat in class. I must have been about seven and I have had emitophobia ever since.

So yes my stomach anxiety goes back decades.

I did go through about a thirty year period that I was just fine, just some background anxiety occasionally. It's meno that's brought it all back.

Honeyb
x
I've got vomit phobia.
Had it all my life, if someone throws up I run away sometimes.
I hate it when I throw up too.
When I feel nausea I get really nervous if my mouth starts watering, as that means I could throw up.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4