Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Feeling miserable  (Read 3684 times)

sharon1958

Feeling miserable
« on: October 29, 2014, 03:16:15 PM »

I really thought that I was doing ok and was determined to manage without HRT but 6 weeks down the line I'm not a happy bunny  :( For those that may have read my previous posts in a nutshell I'd been on HRT for 7 years but was having some bleeding problems which were investigated (colposcopy and hysteroscopy) Thankfully everything was clear apart from a small polyp which is being removed shortly but the gynae told me that (in her own words) if I was her older (cheek) sister she'd tell me to come off it now. She lectured me about the risks which I was obviously fully aware of. Unfortunately my GP also isn't in favour of it long term either and I presume they consider 7 years is just that.
I'm flushing several times a day - sometimes more - and apart from it feeling unpleasant I feel embarrassed when in company fanning myself etc. I'm not sleeping at all well - both flushes and palpitations which is intereferring now with everyday life as I feel like a total zombie most days! I'm thinking that we're in winter now - heaven knows what I would be like in the summer.
I'm really not sure what to do. Whether to give it longer to see if it settles a bit or go back to my GP (I would see someone else at the practice)
I do worry about the risks and that they increase the longer you are taking HRT and ideally I'd like to be able to manage without but will it always be like this? What is the average time for staying on HRT and do some women stay on it indefinitely as long as they are having regular check ups?

Sharon

Taz2

Re: Feeling miserable
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 04:40:35 PM »

Hi Sharon - I can sympathise totally with you! My doc removed me from HRT (also advised by both the menopause clinic and my gynae) due purely to my reaching 60. I was without it for a year and felt just like you. I too was aware of the risks and, after much pleading, the doc did agree that if I couldn't manage without it and there was no possibility of my being able to retire to make things easier, then I would be able to restart it. I have now been prescribed a low dose (25mcg patches) and although I don't feel as good as I did on the 50mcg they have stopped most of the sweats.  You may find that this would be fine for you too - don't be fobbed off. You know how you are feeling and if you are prepared to accept the slight risk increase as you get older then I think you should be able to have it prescribed again.

How long have you been off it for?

Taz x

sharon1958

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 05:42:51 PM »

Thanks Taz. I know I'm not alone by any means - it does help to read other people's experiences too.
I'm 56 and had started HRT when I was 49 initially with patches and then when Femseven Conti were difficult to get hold of I was on Femiston Conti 1/10 and for a short time Tibolone. Had bleeding though, at times quite heavy hence the worry and investigations. It's about 6 weeks since I stopped cold turkey!
I'll see how things go. I was also thinking in terms of a low dose patch if things don't improve even if it just takes the edge of the symptoms.
I know some gynaes are quite happy to prescribe HRT well into old age. I suppose like anything there are always going to be mixed views. What is the name of the patch you are on?

Sharon

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 06:15:30 PM »

Hi sharon
I'm 58 and have been off HRT for nearly a year now - I found this last hot, humid summer was hell.   I had a premature meno so I've been on and off HRT for over 20 years.  I managed 3 years without HRT in my early 50s but had to go back on because life was so stressful and I needed to feel more in control.
Now the nights are getting a bit cooler I am getting a bit more sleep but certainly not quality sleep.  I am having bladder and atrophy issues and the flushes etc are certainly not subsiding (I can cope with the day time ones but at night Ahhhh!!!!!).  Though my GP has been helpful she was relieved at the last visit when I told her I had made an appointment to see a gynae privately - she's doing a referral letter and told me to come and discuss with her what he suggests.
Though I'm not thrilled at the thought of using HRT again, I am keeping an open mind and if I need to take a dip in the HRT pond again I will.
DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 06:43:41 PM »

ALL medication has risks  >:( - I don't see GPs stopping diabetic treatment or surgeons not recommending chemotherapy which can be worse than cancer ……. no wonder you feel miserable, I don't think it helps if we feel each GP visit is likely to be a battle for medication we are entitled to!

I would be going to my GP and asking him whether he wants me alive on HRT or dead through despair!

Let us know how you get on!

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »

Hi sharon1958

Just to add that the info on this site says that aged under 60 the benefits from HRT exceed the risks and in fact between 60 and 70 the benefits are equal to the risks. I am over 60 and still on HRT, and have been on it also for 7 1/2 years. I try to minimise the risks by making sure I am healthy in other apsects of my life eg I limit alcohol, don't smoke, I am a healthy weight, I take exercise, and I eat a good diet with plenty of fresh foods. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

It should be your decision but made while being fully aware of all the information including the risks. The doctor should respect your decision - whatever it is, and if this is to continue with HRT then so be it - this should be prescribed. We should not be made to feel guilty!

Hurdity x

Taz2

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »

I'm on Evorel 25.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »

It is often down to what treatment costs!