Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Another newbie!  (Read 3077 times)

dht240

Another newbie!
« on: October 27, 2014, 12:28:06 PM »

Hello everyone!
I've been reading for a while and so now, here I am, looking forward to, well, answers, support and being supportive.

My journey isn't as complicated as some. I'm 44 and am now experiencing everything from night sweats, to regular beetroot face (flushes), dizzy spells, complete insomnia (sleeping maybe 3 hrs total in a night), exhaustion, what appears to be a period that doesn't want to stop, weight that is suddenly out of control, aches in my hips, and tears at the least thing.

I had 82 days without a period and then 32 days of a period which the doctor prescribed Norethisterone for. I took it for 10 days and thankfully it stopped. Today, only 4 days after the tablets ended, I've started again.

I have a history of gynae issues as do my mother, sister, gran (she's now 94), and one of my cousins. My Gran was menopausal at 42. My mum started at 43. I had an HD&C in 2004 and another in 2009.

I'm booked in for blood tests on Friday and I see the doctor again the following week. She's already talked about HRT - so I'm busy reading up on everything on this site. Thank you all for your openness and honesty.

I don't feel like myself, but I'm beginning to understand that's normal for perimenopause.

DHT.
x

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:30:05 PM by dht240 »

caz24

Re: Another newbie!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »

Hi DHT

I am going through perimenopause too and whilst my symptoms aren't exactly the same as yours I just wanted to say hello and to say that I totally associate with the feelings of not feeling like yourself. As you say these feelings are completely normal and it can be a bit of a rollercoaster of emotions. I hope that you find a lot of good advice and support on here, take time to look through some of the older posts as well, I have found this site to be brilliant and there are some lovely ladies on here who know so much.
I can really sympathise with the bleeding problems as I have trouble with that too, again all normal for this lovely time in our lives  ;) It does get you down though and really it's no wonder that you feel so exhausted and so rubbish. My GP is brilliant and is checking everything out for me to be on the safe side so I'm due to have another scan in a couple of weeks (a previous scan showed a small cyst and a small fibroid) and have got an appointment with a gynae in a couple of weeks.
Just try to take time out for yourself to relax and exercise and don't be afraid to let your family know that you're going through a tough time.
I hope that you begin to feel better soon and good luck with your blood tests and doctors appointment. x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 06:08:11 PM »

Hi dht240 and welcome to MM
I had a premature meno in my 30s and had to use HRT.
It sounds as though you are following the family footsteps and having a premature menopause.  I'm to pleased to hear they are suggesting HRT as it is advisable to use HRT if you experience early ovarian failure as oestrogen deficiency can lead to long term problems with bones and heart.
Do read up all the info under the headings to the left this screen.
If you are having trouble with persistent bleeding then a Mirena may be a good idea as it will control the bleeding and you can then just add some oestrogen in gel or patch form to control the other meno symptoms. 
REad up everything a get back to us with questions.
Dg xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 06:11:10 PM »

:welcomemm:  have a read of the menus, left of screen.  Make a list of symptoms to take to your appt/s..  Ask away!

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »

Hi dht240

:welcomemm: from me too!

I agree with what Dancinggirl has suggested - once you start adding oestrogen that adds further stimulation to the uterus lining. The heavy bleeding is likely to be caused by cycles where you don't ovulate and therefore no progesterone is produced and the lining continues to build up which is why the doc gave you norethisterone.

There is an excellent article on peri-menopause and what is happening to your body here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Has an ablation been suggested? Maybe as you are peri-menopausal other methods are recommended as the heavy bleeding won't last for too long hopefully. Anyway the other treatments (besides Mirena) are suggested here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

Hope this helps!  :)

Hurdity x

dht240

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:26:01 PM »

Thank you all so much for saying hello and for your advice. I really do appreciate all your words of wisdom.

I have done lots of reading - I was up most of the night. The pain last night was quite unbelievable as was the emergency trip to the all night supermarket for supplies of 'larger' size items. I'm lucky that I work from home 60-70% of the time, but I'm dreading making the 150 mile round trip to the office tomorrow. Do any of you ever have days where you can't / don't feel it's 'safe' to be away from the privacy of your own home? (i.e. your bathroom, your loo and a wardrobe of clean laundry etc.)? I got up and walked to the village and back this morning, just to keep moving...and keep my mind of this. Exercise seems to help with the pain in my hips, legs and lower back.

I couldn't get an appointment to see my doctor until Thursday (blood tests already booked for Friday), so I'm noting symptoms, taking pain relief and reading. I know I'm not the worst off, but gosh, I hope it's not going to be like this for years! There are some of you who have been through hell.

Thanks again,
Diana

caz24

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »

Hi Diana

Just wondered how you were doing?
I've only just read your last post and it couldn't have come at a better time as today I have started having really heavy bleeding again. I had a very light 'period' a couple of weeks ago and thought I'd got away with it but no here I am in pain and feeling yuk. I'm dreading going to work tomorrow, I'm the only woman there so it's a real struggle to try and deal with it all and sort myself out discreetly. I too hope that this doesn't go on for years x.