Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT success stories  (Read 8766 times)

Dandelion

HRT success stories
« on: October 24, 2014, 01:02:12 PM »

This thread is for women who have had horrible meno symptoms, and have got relief, or satisfactory results from their hrt.
I know that often, the first type of hrt women try, may not suit them or work for them.
It's often a bit of a hassle finding the right hrt.
It is a pretty positive thread, and it is about getting through struggles and finally feeling better.
I know hrt may not fully relieve meno symptoms in some women, but I know that the occasional flush is much more preferable to drenching sweats.

I guess women get success from all of the hrt's listed on the left.
My mum was on oestrogen only hrt in the 1990's and she used premarin. She said it helped with her anxiety. It was a success for her, but she came off after 5yrs, and went on to alternative methods.

Tabbycat

Re: HRT success stories
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »

Ironically, I've just decided to have a break from HRT.

However, I have to say that I felt fine on it - had a bit more energy, dealt with heat much better, joint aches pretty much disappeared and my skin improved dramatically.

I'm stopping for a while because I keep having bleeds, which is annoying and shouldn't be happening over two years after my last period! But overall, my experience on HRT has been positive and I hope I can find one that suits me better.

Dandelion

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:34:26 AM »

Ironically, I've just decided to have a break from HRT.

However, I have to say that I felt fine on it - had a bit more energy, dealt with heat much better, joint aches pretty much disappeared and my skin improved dramatically.

I'm stopping for a while because I keep having bleeds, which is annoying and shouldn't be happening over two years after my last period! But overall, my experience on HRT has been positive and I hope I can find one that suits me better.
Aww it's a shame your having bleeds tabbycat
what hrt are you on?
There might be one that doesn't make you bleed so much.

Tabbycat

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 01:21:40 PM »

I'm on Femiston Conti. I'm hoping to find something more suitable but think I should have a break so I know what I'm dealing with.

Smokey

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »

Hi I have had success just posted on Cals thread under Breathing problems!

Most of my symptoms have been cleared up, I am thinking of having a break from Hrt too, but after being reminded of all of the symptoms which I had forgotten about I'm wondering if that would be unwise.

I have Ms too but still feel bad on and off even on Hrt, still unsure if that's normal with having Ms or just meno symptoms, or thyroid as I also have an underactive one, that's probably not level either, oh to be 30 again!

Ann x

babyjane

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »

Hi Smokey, unstable thyroid levels can make you feel rough. Everyone has their own personal 'normal' level but the NHS has a reference range and if you fall in that they say you are ok but my levels are very specific for me and at the moment they are not right.
Can't comment on HRT as I have never used it, sorry.

Smokey

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 09:13:03 AM »

Hi

Babyjane

Yes I know what you mean, I felt good when my levels were 0.1 ish originally my gp said she would treat me on how I felt, but every time I had a blood test if my levels fell in normal critia I was told the reading were normal so never got to have my thyroxin increased and doctors so busy could never get to talk to one.
So my Ms nursed referred me to consultant in the hope I might get some better accurate treatment, as she believes some of my symptoms are thyroid related, ie concentration and some of my tiredness, etc. what level do you feel your best on?

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »

this is good news Smokey as a consultant will test your T4 and T3 levels as well as your TSH.

0.1 is very low, my consultant tested mine recently and I was 0.18 but having thyrotoxic symptoms so he has reduced my dose of thyroxine. I feel better around 1.5, less wired and jittery. If I reach 3.0 then I get symptoms of being underactive and yet the reference range would say I was 'normal'.  this is my point, we are all different.

My brand of Thyroxine has recently been changed, the one I was on for 10 years is no longer available. My endo explained that a change of brand can upset the balance as it can be absorbed differently.

I am very lucky with my chap as I can e mail or phone his secretary any time and he will get back to me. He is also happy for me to self medicate as I know my own body and if I need a little more or a little less, so long as I see him every 6 months.  It is very reassuring. I hope you get the same sort of individual care with yours.

for me, my bowel function tells me how my thyroid levels are and recently I have been going rather a lot but that is starting to settle down again now.

Winterose

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 10:11:36 AM »

Hrt has been a godsend, without it my marriage would have suffered along with friendships , my business and many other things. Menapause when it hit was a shocker , probably as I had hardly ever been ill or suffered any mental issues so had no coping strategies. 
I still do get the odd symptom largely due to stress as my body doesnt cope with worries as well as it used to. I also dont like feeling anxious which never happened before menapause.  I visit this site to keep up to date on HRT and delight in reading about its benefits as well as keeping an eye on side effects, Suspect I will be on a low dose for the rest of my life - .  :D

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »

Hi Dandelion

Mine is a success story too - I posted on another thread before I saw this one and this is what I said:

HRT enabled hot flushes and night sweats to be eliminated and now I also have very few bladder problems. I feel normal (well as normal as I ever will!!) most of the time - not like I was when I was younger - but I can function and enjoy life. Also to add I use vaginal oestrogen as well as systemic HRT to feel comfortable down there!

Hurdity x