Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Health Anxiety/Hypochondria  (Read 27026 times)

libby1

Health Anxiety/Hypochondria
« on: October 10, 2014, 01:57:13 PM »

Hi Girls

I think this should officially be a menopause symptom!!! There seem to be so many of us that suffer with this, I never worried about my health until peri set in. I wonder why this is? I know our hormones fluctuate but it's strange that a lot of us have the same thoughts?

Are you one of the girls like me who goes off the scale with anxiety at any slight twinge? And it's really strange how when you know it's nothing serious it suddenly stops? Why is this? It's amazing how the mind can make the body feel symptoms. And whatever you do, don't google  :cuss: But it's the first thing we do isn't it, hoping to put our minds at rest whilst all the time it's cranking up our stress levels to  :hotflash: And I'm the worlds worst  ::)

Has anyone come out the other side and stopped worrying about every lump, bump, freckle, tingle, twinge, cough etc?

Libby
x

honeybun

Re: Health Anxiety/Hypochondria
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »

Oh  I really wish I could but no luck so far  ::)

It's,a work in progress. My problem is I won't go to the doctor unless I absolutely have to. I will put up with things until they either get unbearable or go away.

Not the most sensible thing to do though.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 02:53:04 PM »

Not yet  ::) - although I don't google

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 09:25:58 PM »

I think for alot of people the peri meno is the first time they have had lots and lots of physical symptoms if they are generally healthy so these physical symptoms of meno can be a nasty shock ::)and cause worry then add on the flucuating hormones and bingo.

I know during peri meno all my symptoms made me a basket case for what if its xxxx.  Now I am post meno I can see how bad I was and how many physical symptoms I was having. 

Maybe we need to start a menopause hypochondriac club ;D ;D

LizeeeH

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »

Hi Libby

OMG your just like me!!! ;) every blemish, mole lump bump and yes cough is the "c" word.....and then I "google" and OMG Im a nervous wreck :o :o :o

Liz xxx

libby1

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »

It's horrible, I think one of the worst symptoms (although I know some are equally as bad). I used to be a sensible, sane, rational person.
Now I feel like my mind is doing this  :poke2: and saying "What if it's...."

Libby
x

starfish

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »

My sympathies to everyone on this thread. Once or twice when I've had the terrible unrelenting palpitations (benign, stress and hormone related) I've started tidying up all my things in case I didn't make it through to the end of the day and didn't want to leave my husband with all my mess, it got that bad. I also seem to have a knack of finding websites that confirms my worst fears about any possible health issue in seconds flat! So I try not to consult Dr Google if I can avoid it.

I do feel better than I did (might just be temporary of course) and can only think it's perhaps hormones stabilising for a bit combined with keeping up the efforts to relax and de stress as much as humanly possible - I think it can take a while for the beneficial effects of relaxation routines to be felt.

Best Wishes Starfish X

libby1

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 07:54:05 AM »

So girls, does health anxiety improve once you are through the menopause? Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

Libby
x

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:07:41 AM »

I really hope so.    ::)

Honeyb
x

thorntrees

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »

So do I Honeyb, I am so fed up of waking each morning with my stomach tied in knots even though I have slept reasonably well. It does wear off to some extent during the day especially if I am busy but tends to return late afternoon. The ADs I take have helped with the flushes and help me to see that it is just anxiety and won't harm me but I do wish each day was not such a struggle. I used to be such a logical sensible person and I know I still am really! and I'm very good at hiding how I really feel from friends and family.I too am guilty of googling however hard I try not to and then I can convince myself I must have something serious. Oh well onwards and upwards, at least its not raining yet today so that's a blessing.

Thorntrees.

Rowan

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »

To be honest my health anxiety did  not start until a few years ago and I was post menopause, before then a headache was just a headache, if I wasn't feeling well I always wanted to get to the bottom of it, by googling or getting books out of the library, just to sort it out and get better, even palpitation did not cause anxiety once I realised what they were, had the tests and the consultant reassure me there was nothing wrong with my heart.

The awful panic attacks and health fears and sheer terror came out of the blue after a operation seven years ago that went wrong, nothing to do with hormones or menopause, it was caused by post traumatic stress, and took a long time to get over, but still that sensible attitude to my health is not like it use to be.

We are all products of our genetics, life experiences and how are bodies cope with it all.

libby1

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 09:57:23 AM »

I think you're right Silverlady. Although mine started almost exactly the same time that my periods went haywire, it is in my family so I'm obviously prone to it  :(  My mum's has got worse as she has got older and I'm hoping that I'm not the same and it's just a hormonal blip (bl...y long blip though!)

Libby
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:10:35 PM »

Speak to your GP for some 'as necessary' anxiety relief  ;)

karenja

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 07:12:02 AM »

After starting my conti everol patches yesterday and sitting her worrying as I've had tingling in my face a few times and worrying yet again something bad is going to happen its reassuring to know I'm not alone with this anxiety x

babyjane

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 09:56:55 AM »

thank you for this thread, I could have made any one of the posts here.  Please can I join the club?  :hug:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4