Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: menopause really scaring me.  (Read 2749 times)

Dandelion

menopause really scaring me.
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »

This post http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=249836;topic=14483.0;last_msg=256731
is from one of our ladies suffering dread and doom, and in it, there are links to other posts from other ladies on here with the same problem.

My dreads and doom only started when I got menopausal a few years ago.
My doctor thinks it is my existing depression and anxiety but I know my body and I can tell that meno has added to my dread and doom feelings.
My HRT is not working, and I have had Dr Currie confirm this for me.
I have to go and tell my doctor this next week and I am dreading it.

My worst fear is being left with no HRT and being vulnerable to all of the horrible diseases that come with lack of oestrogen.
I have grown boobs since I started meno and I hate them. I scratched one of them with a knife last week out of the blue because I hate them and hate myself.

Sorry I know I am panicking.

honeybun

Re: menopause really scaring me.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »

Big deep breath here. Just try and relax a little bit.
We really have to remember that no matter how uncomfortable menopause is it has never killed anyone. Years ago our mothers just got on with things. Not that I am suggesting we have to do the same, but if they could then we certainly can.

You won't be left with no HRT and ok it can leave us with a slightly increased risk of other health issues....but .....My mum is 92...never has HRT....and has few health issues.

We need to get things into proportion....Yes HRT May well help but it's not the Holy Grail and we will most definitely not die if we don't have it.

Bigger boobs for me would be really good but if you are self harming then you need to speak to someone who can help.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: menopause really scaring me.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 05:46:13 PM »

Menopause is never worth self-harming for, this is an excuse to do so.  This Forum is not sufficiently 'staffed' in order to help this health issue and you need to speak with your mental health professional team about this. 

Those suffering with panic about situations need to speak with the Consultant i.e. a gynaecologist for meno/period problems, a chest consultant for any chest issues or an orthopaedic surgeon regarding osteoporosis ………. MIND charity can give help to sufferers and there is a web-site for osteoporosis worries and another for ovarian cancer symptoms. 

Anxiety rises at 'this' age with or without menopause problems, I think it's as we get older we become more sensitive = caring?  Once the anxiety feelings take over, the sufferer really needs to visit their GP for referral if necessary or suitable medication to help.

Let us know how you get on with speaking to your GP.  As an orthopaedic secretary it is important to be clear and precise with symptoms when discussing these with a health professional so that 'proper' care can be given.