Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: sore eyes  (Read 6005 times)

daisie

sore eyes
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »

Ijust thought id ask ...as anyone experienced sore stinging eyes while going through menopause

babyjane

Re: sore eyes
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:36:30 AM »

Hello Daisie, yes I have. Apparently our eyes can get dry through dropping oestrogen levels in the same way other parts do.

I use Systane eye drops twice a day and they are very good.  I also read that taking fish oil supplement also helps with dry eyes. I asked my optician and she said that the oil stops the tears drying out too quickly and that's how it helps. I have taken it for 3 months now and don't need to use the drops as often as I did.

Hope this helps.

daisie

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »

hi babyjane where can I get the eye drops from or is it on prescription x daisie

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 06:04:11 PM »

Hi Daisie, any good chemist.  Boots sell them and our local inderpendent chemist sell them.  You can also get them online from Amazon but I get mine on prescription as my optician suggested them because I have blepharitis (an eye condition) and I don't pay prescription charges.

They are better than the artificial tears because they coat the eyeball and last longer. A bit blurry when you first put them in but it soon wears off.

daisie

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:34:56 AM »

morning babyjane thanks for that I will try it  x daisie

daisie

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:10:28 AM »

hi sparkle iv had it for a long time .the morning is the worst takes me sometime to focus right think the amitriptyline has not helped as well it causes dry eyes as a side effect it is so irritating also cant stand bright lights any more cant go without sun glasses any more x daisie

daisie

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 01:12:14 PM »

sparkle you are not on your own things have gone from bad to worse this past year or so next time I go for an eye test I will ask for transition lenses when I renew my glasses I cant stop squinting my eyes are too dry to keep them open most of the time im off to get eye drops later x daisie

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »

Hi you two :-)

sparkle do you mean hypromellose drops?  They are the artificial tears and I found they did not last long, 2 - 3 hours and I needed more.  The systane drops suit me and I hope they help you daisie but if not have a word with your pharmacist or even your doctor. Don't suffer.

sparkle It took me nearly 9 months to adjust the first time I had varifocals but I refused to give up as I couldn't deal with 3 separate pairs of glasses. That was years ago and I am glad I did. A new prescription takes me up to 2 weeks to adjust to but then I'm fine for another 2 years.

I am terrible with glasses and really envy those people who can just put them on and leave them be, I am forever fiddling and checking mine, a bit OCD about them  ::)

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »

my optician at the time advised me not to keep going back to my old single vision glasses when things were difficult but to take off the varifocals and close my eyes for 10 - 15 minutes, then put them back on. If you keep going back to your old glasses your eyes and brain take longer to 'get the message'. But be very careful going down steps in them as that is when the 'swimmyness' is worst.

If I can adjust to them anyone on the planet can :-)

Sorry daisie, this thread is meant to be about your sore eyes, not our glasses  :-X

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 09:39:44 AM »

You must do what is best for you sparkle. I must say that at my first change of varifocal prescription my optician gave me a wider than standard reading section at the bottom and it made all the difference as I didn't have to keep turning my head when I was reading or doing a word puzzle. It was more expensive but worth it for me and I have kept to the wider reading section ever since.

If you want to keep this going sparkle, shall we make another thread as we have rather hijacked daisie's thread with our glasses chat  ::)

daisie

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 10:23:20 AM »

im back to join in ...I went to spec savers the other day just to renew my frames I do have an eye test every 2 years not due while next year im short sited I only wear them to watch telly or if I cant see whats in the distance I can tell things have got worse over time I cant see who is waving to me on the other side of the road its very rare I put them on when im out but I do carry them every where I go if things get too bad.. my partner plays hell with me ..I remember when I  used to be his eyes when he couldn't see most things he was looking at. when he now asks me I tell him mine are as bad as yours now we are a right pair together.. back to the  sore eyes I got some drops yesterday not the ones you said got them from lady save just some moisturising  ones not done anything yet well sparkle and babyjane was an interesting topic anyway yes think we best start a new thread x daisie

daisie

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »

iv had them drops before what begin with h,i cant pronounce the word it did sting when I used it then my eyes went blurry for about 30 minuites they was a waiste of time need something to refresh them not make them worse yes ..mine are stinging at the moment its realy getting on my nerves one thing after another x daisie