Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: can anyone advise about memory problems ?  (Read 3984 times)

pebbles

can anyone advise about memory problems ?
« on: September 16, 2014, 08:03:31 PM »

I am 51,still having regularish periods and take soya isoflavoids, vit b complex, fish oils and probiotics for mood swings etc. not having any flushes etc but am constantly tired and emotional.
The main concern is regarding my memory, i dont seem to remember things and i cant seem to express what i want to say anymore. Does any one know what i mean? I just cant remember the words that i want to say and feel such a fool in meetings etc. I am due to go to university to achieve another qualification for my job but i am worried that i wont retain any information.
Has any one tried anything that helps with this ?

Taz2

Re: can anyone advise about memory problems ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »

Hi pebbles. The only thing that helped mine was starting HRT but I appreciate that you probably don't want, or maybe need, to do that quite yet. This article gives you reassurance that what you are feeling is normal http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2256675/Does-menopause-really-make-forgetful-Yes-long-say-scientists.html  but doesn't give any suggestions on how to overcome it.

When I first developed fibromyalgia my memory was really bad and I was advised by the doc to take Co-Enzyme Q10 which did help. Maybe you could try that?

Taz x

pebbles

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »

Thank you Taz for the article, it was reassuring. i also suffer from hyper mobiity syndrome and have painful joints so your recommendation for co enzyme Q10 may help that too, i have ordered some.
I am reluctant to try hrt until i really need to but also just worry that i was back to normal.
 Sparkle yes i also suffer from extreme anxiety, constantly worry about what i have said done etc. I come out of meetings and tell myself how stupid i am which makes it worse for the next meeting. Most days i just want to stay in bed and sleep. I applied for this course because i hate my job but worry that i have jumped out of the fryng pan into the fire.
However possitive thing is that according to article, it should pass !
Good luck ladies, would be good to keep in touch ?
Hope you have a good day
Pebbles x 

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »

Hi Pebbles,

I should imagine this is harder if you have never had memory issues before.  I have always had memory issues, so now I have a convenient excuse! (Just having a meno moment!) In hindsight, I suspect I have had aspects of dyslexia and have had to work that much harder than others to gain qualifications. The realisation came with having 2 children with dyslexia, one severely, who has just graduated with a degree. So if you really want to carry on with gaining this qualification, then don't let memory issues get in the way. It is nothing to do with intelligence. However, you need to really want to do this and it sounds as if you are not sure. Maybe research and soul searching into what you want and what other options are out there for you.

As to worrying about whether you have been stupid in a meeting. This is a self esteem issue. We are our harshest judge. Most people are too busy judging themselves to be judging you. If someone are critical, it's because they are reacting to issues in their lives that have absolutely nothing to do with you. In other words, it is not personal. If it feels like it is it's because you are reacting from your own issues from the past. Just do your best and that is good enough. And if you make a mistake, well that's just being a human being. Be like my inspirational son who has failed his way to success! Ju Juxx

Gail

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 07:12:48 PM »

Hi Pebbles

I know exactly what u mean and when I can't remember things I start to panic and get even more anxious, for me anxiety along with the constant tiredness seem to be the worst of all my symptoms and the most worrying. It's always nice to be able to share your problems on this site and know your not alone

Gail xx