Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Seasonal Dry itchy Hands especially on waking  (Read 5724 times)

Henrietta

Seasonal Dry itchy Hands especially on waking
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:35:02 AM »

I've had this off and on for years but it has gflared up again. Trie dloads of hand creams, Savlon, E45, Aqeous, Sausage trees (sorry can't remember the name)
Hands drive me to distraction upon waking - so dry and skin splitting along the first finger. I have eliminated Nickel and don't wear jewellry or watch or Jeans buttons as as think this is  a trigger.
Don't want to use  a steroid
Has anyone got similar and found anything that works?

rosebud57

Re: Seasonal Dry itchy Hands especially on waking
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:57:32 AM »

It could be due to detergents like washing up liquid (do you use gloves), or even liquid soap.  The other possibility is that you're deficient in something.  Low Vit D causes dry skin and omega 3 also helps keep skin healthy. My son suffers with this and a test showed very low Vit D.  Might be worth a try if the creams are not helping.  If not see your GP, as if it comes and goes it could be eczema.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 08:04:44 AM »

Neutrogen hand cream is still the best - I put it on every night - I use the unscented one.  I get those nasty splits on the ends of my fingers when I've been doing lots of gardening and housework and washing my hands too often. I often don't get round to putting on gloves while doing these jobs! The stuff you get to treat cracks on your heels can help with the splits on the fingers as well.
It used to be recommended you put hand cream on and then put on some cotton gloves for a couple of hours to encourage absorption but I think Neutrogena doesn't need this.
Having said all this, if your skin is prone to dermatitis this probably needs some special hand wash and perhaps wear protective deposable gloves when doing cooking, cleaning etc.  - even washing up liquid can be very drying.  Since coming off HRT I've been getting those little patches of dermatitis - usually on my arms or hips and I do use some 'over the counter' E45 cortisone cream for a few days and this really helps.  I wouldn't use cortisone if it isn't dermatitis as it is not appropriate.
Could be worth getting some advice from the GP?
Hope that's helpful.  Dg x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:20:10 AM »

Sounds like dermatitis to me. I have had it for years.

The only thing I have found that actually works is a mousse called Derma Shield. It moisturises and protects very well. It's not greasy and sticky.
It is available on prescription but I buy mine from Amazon.

I have tried everything under the sun and done untold damage with steroid creams but this stuff works like magic.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:11:30 AM »

I've tried Derma Shield and agree it works well. If you wear gloves try to use the ones without a deodoriser in as you can be sensitive to the chemicals causing even more cracks and soreness.

Taz x

Henrietta

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 10:51:32 AM »

Thank you for the suggestions
I wear gloves when I work but tend not to use them at home. I will try and use them more often. I'm glad you mentioned Neutragena- I think I may have tried that in teh past and found it one of the better ones- I will get some and give it a go.
It is not exactly Exchema and I don't want some steroid type thing off the DR- I would rather find something gentle that works. I am allergic to Hydra Cortisone.
 I will try some gentle gloves without the chemicals and some Neutragena and see how it goes. I haven't heard of the Derma Shield so this will be my next trial. Thanks!

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »

My daughter is a nurse, son's GF is a midwife. Hands are always a mess due to all the amtibac stuff they have to use. Daughter was told to use Flexitol & sons GF Aveeno.  Depends on how bad they get. I was told to apply hand cream & wear cotton gloves at night.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »

Greasy hand creams are fine at night or at times when you don't have to do anything.
Derma Shield dries very quickly and creates a protective barrier. You can even wash your hands and its still there.

I have stopped using anti bacterial hand soap. They all contain alcohol and that strips the natural oils from your skin and makes things worse.
I still use liquid soap but no more anti bacterial stuff for me.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 12:49:28 PM »

I am allergic to Fairy Liquid even when wearing rubber gloves .........

The trick is to use the product of choice every half hour initially.  Putting lots of cream into any cracks and sitting with hands in the open air not touching anything.  I find Savlon works fine but Vaseline or Cuticura ointment can be useful.

What do you do that is different at this time of year?

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 12:53:33 PM »

Not really practical though.

If it's contact dermatitis there can be many triggers. I can't peel potatoes or handle raw fish or chicken without disposable gloves. The most unexpected things can be irritants.
Savlon is ok for open wounds but not much else unfortunately.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »

Certainly it doesn't spread well  ::) .......... stuffed into cracks though it works a treat.

I did find that when undergoing radiation treatment that wounds took weeks rather than hours to heal .........

There's also a product which I think is called camarosa? which is used on animal skin .........

Henrietta

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 04:17:37 PM »

I can't think of anything different I do at this time of year. I wondered if it was the weather. When I am in the garden I wear gardening gloves. 
Some interesting products mentioned here- I'm glad I asked. Just been shopping and bought a selection of hand creams including Neutragena although they did 3 different ones and they all sounded good . I will do some experimenting.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »

I wear gardening gloves which can be drying.  There are products which can be applied to the hands before putting on gloves  ::)

I would use one product only unless you are putting one type into the cracks and using another as a general hand cream.