Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Newspaper article on early menopause  (Read 5071 times)

babyjane

Newspaper article on early menopause
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:41:55 AM »

I don't know much about early menopaues or HRT but I like to learn and I was wondering about an article in the health pages of the Daily Mail yesterday. It featured a woman who is having early menopause at 42 and her doctor told her there was nothing she could do to help her as she was too young to be prescribed HRT. this happened on 2 occasions when the woman went to her doctor asking for help.

when I was reading round this forum before joining I read about early menopause and there were posts saying that HRT is not a risk under the age of 50 and encouraged ladies to ask for it which is why I found this article confusing.

I know it does not concern me but I like to know the answer to things I find confusing.

honeybun

Re: Newspaper article on early menopause
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:00:20 AM »

The poor woman's doctor is very very wrong.

It's essential to have HRT at that age to protect bones and heart and help avoid VA. I really hope she got the correct help eventually.
You are right, there are no risk involved at this age except for the damage that can be done without hormones.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:08:07 AM »

babyjane

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:35:45 AM »

that's the article Taz2 I was looking for it to post but couldn't find it (not terribly computer savvy)

I just wanted to ring her up and tell her to join this forum  :)

Just looked at the comments shown, that latest one needs a slap!  >:(

Would it be allowed to mention this site in a comment or not?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 11:39:57 AM by babyjane »

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 12:07:05 PM »

I do like her articles. It seems a bit strange that she hasn't researched early meno more herself and discovered that she could indeed have HRT.

Taz x  :)

Dandelion

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 02:26:17 PM »

My peri-meno started in my early forties.
I did not realise though and it the symptoms down to something else.
I was 47 before I realised and got the test.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 04:57:41 PM »

How appalling - yet another example of an ignorant GP - and yes surprising and distrubing that the author did not research the issue more because many women will read it and accept what she says, which is incorrect. Poor GP and irresponsible journalism.

Of course babyjane mention this site the more publicity the better - this is not a commerical site!

I see that there is a short video clip of Dr Currie explaining what early and premature menopause are - but a pity it is only a minute long and that the excerpt does not emphasise how important it is to take HRT to protect heart and bones.

Hurdity x

wombat62

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 11:08:47 PM »

I read this article and found the comments by some of the women more hurtful for this lady. Very much the "put up and shut up" brigade who sailed through it all with not so much as a blush.

One comment said that putting a bit of soya milk on your breakfast was the cure, if only!

I very much sympathised with her on the anxiety levels and just the stupid weird stuff that comes out of the blue. I quite often think, this isn't me, where the hell did that worry come from! I would expect a little more support from fellow ladies whether they've had a rough time or not. Then, I don't think some doctors recognise the part oestrogen plays in other body functions not just the reproductive system. I bet we all know more than most GP's, even middle aged lady ones who must be going through it!

Thank goodness for this forum!

babyjane

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 09:48:01 AM »

Hello wombat62, I agree with your post.  I did wonder if some of the comments are from trouble makers making comments for the sake of it to try and stir up trouble.  You always get some on these comments boards.

Everyone has a different experience of this process but most ladies are generally kind as can be seen on this forum. I have only been here for coming up 3 weeks but I saw how kind and supportive everyone is from reading the forum before joining  :)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »

I agree with all the comments made on this thread - responsible journalism is vital - there have been too many negative stories about HRT and this puts ladies like myself who have experienced a premature menopause in a constant defensive position. I hated having to justify taking HRT in my 30s&40s.
My sister-in-law was particularly judgmental - she sailed through her menopause and claimed it was the soya milk she drank that did the job!!!!!  I've tried soya and Red Clover and it has no effect on my flushes.
I personally think it is in our genes - so many ladies on this site report that their mothers, aunts, grandmothers had an early or difficult menopause - my mother had an early menopause and I now understand why she was so bad tempered much of the time. DG x

babyjane

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »

Dancinggirl my mother had a hysterectomy at 38, when I was aged 3.  when I was growing up she was very difficult and always cross.  Looking back I doubt she was given HRT as I don't thing women were given it in the early 1960s unless I am wrong. I also had a hysterectomy aged 38 but kept my ovaries so did not have HRT and I don't think i struggled as much as mum did.

Suzi Q

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 02:09:44 AM »

I don't know much about early menopaues or HRT but I like to learn and I was wondering about an article in the health pages of the Daily Mail yesterday. It featured a woman who is having early menopause at 42 and her doctor told her there was nothing she could do to help her as she was too young to be prescribed HRT. this happened on 2 occasions when the woman went to her doctor asking for help.

when I was reading round this forum before joining I read about early menopause and there were posts saying that HRT is not a risk under the age of 50 and encouraged ladies to ask for it which is why I found this article confusing.

I know it does not concern me but I like to know the answer to things I find confusing.

HI
I went over at 36/37 and was told the same that was mid 90s it took 5 years till I finally was given the Mini pill and Ovestin which I tok till 2008 when I developed Atrophy a further 2 years before I was given Vagifem which  only found out on here and it took a few ladies 4 months to poersuade me to go to see a GP again It was the best thing I have done OK my inner labias are almost gone they shrank in those years my hood is almost non existant so Im basicaly down there like a Labiaplasty gone wrong and the funny thing if there is one is that Id have been a first class candidate for whats now called cosmetic Labiaplaty my inner labias were huge they hung down and my hood was shrivelled with so much skin the Atrophy made it all go and worse I wont let hubbie even see me down there now I look almost like a Pre Pubecent child and all because I didnt get treated correctly BUT I dont b lame my GP it was right in the middle of women coming off HRT in their millions world wide cos of the cancer scare but if it was now id be finding and taking HRT and accept the risk

peegeetip

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »

Hi SuziQ

sorry to see your story. Its such a difficult subject.
When I asked my doc about VA, I was told that if I tried alternatives and then tried HRT later then things would return to normal. Given what your saying, that seems optimistic and possibly false.

So it seems the sooner we get on with HRT, the lesser the chance of having irreversible changes & problems within our bodies.

:-*
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:33:27 PM by peegeetip »