Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bardarbunga set to blow  (Read 8103 times)

Joyce

Bardarbunga set to blow
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »

Worst news possible for those of us about to set off on our holidays! Just checked our insurance, we're not covered!  :( So if it blows it's top we may be stranded at airport. In fact I might not even get to London if it happens in next few days & if it goes on for too long we won't get to St Lucia.  :-\ :-\ :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Bardarbunga set to blow
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:35:33 PM »

Icelandic volcano?

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 03:41:55 PM »

Yep, sure is. Activity is subglacial at the moment, they don't know whether or not it will spew ash like the one in 2010 or not, still too early to tell. I have a bad feeling......

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »

Will the plane take a different route?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »

This has been in the news for a few days now - they evacuated the area on Wednesday I think it was. Fingers crossed! OH wondered about getting stuck in Japan then decided there are worse places to be stuck!

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 04:21:31 PM »

Sods law as far as insurance is concerned. I've sent message via FB to son as he has to fly home on Tuesday from London & could have problems too. Apparently not many insurance companies cover you for volcanic eruptions. It may be OK, would depend on winds etc too.
If I was to get stuck, I'd rather it was on way home.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 04:32:52 PM by cubagirl »

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 06:23:55 PM »

Hopefully the pressure from the ice cap will keep everything in place.

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »

From what I've read they say it would take only a few hours to melt the icecap. But lava may just keep moving horizontally.

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 07:36:31 PM »

Is it possible to reschedule the holiday booking?
What does your husband think, could you get the train and meet him in London, have you been able to speak to him about this at all?

Can't be nice or relaxing :hug:

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 07:38:28 PM »

I thought they said that even if it did go they had learned a lot since the last one and flights would not be grounded as there was no risk to aircraft.
I do remember that the experts said there was no need for the over reaction they had last time.

Fingers crossed CG.

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 08:11:05 PM »

It's on the news now.  Looks lovely all green and fresh  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 09:15:46 PM »

No contact with hubby until Monday. Have sent son a message which he may or may not have picked up yet. Hubby's phone is well nigh obsolete but son has iPhone.

No holiday cannot be rearranged, cost us plenty. I'm actually trying not to panic. Nothing I can do to stop it, whatever is going to happen will happen. Various vulcanologists seem to think it may not blow, as there is lots of horizontal activity.  You're right HB, they did over react last time. My daughter & her partner were house hunting in Notts when last one happened. Couldn't get home to Scotland by plane or by train. Fortunately daughter had driving licence with her & they got a one way car hire.

Will see what is being said over next couple of days.

If hubby was at home he'd be saying not to panic, no point worrying, so I won't, well not yet anyway.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »

And he would be quite right CG. You never know you may get stuck at the other end for a few extra days. Now UK or the Bahamas....bit of a no brainer there.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 10:22:20 PM »

I'd be worried if it was the Bahamas HB, as we are going to St Lucia  ;D It has it's very own volcano which we visited last time. Bubbling away, hasn't erupted since 1766. They've been doing trips to this volcano for years. We were told the fact that it was bubbling was a good sign that it wouldn't erupt. Not going this time though, no point really. It'll still look & smell the same.  ::)

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 10:09:05 AM »

Speaking to OH this morning.

Apparently on the World service last night, they were saying the volcano had been burbling away for a while, the recent activity was only richter 5(ish), and the feeling / hope was that would be all for now.

Fingers crossed.
Pages: [1] 2