Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: newbie  (Read 1513 times)

pauline rose

« on: August 19, 2014, 07:10:08 AM »

Hi all

I have been having missed periods on and off for a couple of years, my doctor has been really good and she explained that although young I was pre menopausal, now at 46 soon to be 47 I have another missed period and this time I have hot flushes which started 2 weeks ago along with them I have been very irritable which is not a nice feeling, I started menopace and my mood swings and irritablility have gone which is great, I have started starflower and evening primrose oil capsules and they are helping with the hot flushes which are driving me nuts especially at night. 

I am back to my doctor in 2 weeks for bloods to be done (away on hols at mo)

over the last few years I have had heart palpatations and joint pain so can well relate to that but now the heart palps have all but gone may get the odd one, I do have arthritis in my thumb joint but other joints have been painful but again that is not as bad now

The worst thing for me is the hot flushes how do you all cope with them, I wear light clothing and make sure I have ice water on hand  :)

pauline

Dancinggirl

Re: newbie
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 09:40:00 AM »

Hi and welcome pauline rose
Nighttimes are tough - all natural fibres in night clothes and bedding is important.  Some of us use a 'Chillow' to help you cool down from a night flush - I use mine down by my feet.
You are clearly still in peri meno and the meno symptoms will fluctuate. Taking supplements like Menopace is good to help maintain good health but i'm afraid there is very little evidence that herbs, phyto-oestrogens etc actually work.  Through peri meno the symptoms will come and go so women think these things are working - It tends to be the women who don't get bad meno symptoms that report these things have helped.  If you already have some arthritis I would definitely take Omega 3 oils and in winter take some Vitamin D to help the bones.
The only natural way to reduce meno symptoms is HRT and if blood tests show a high FHS level then at your age it would be advisable to take HRT if there are no other health issues that would prevent this.  HRT will protect your bones and heart and can give you a better quality of life by reducing the flushes etc..
Read up all the info under the headings to the left of this screen and get back to us with questions. It's good to go to the GP clued up about what to ask.
If you are offered HRT then don't let them put you on the cheap, old fashioned HRTs e.g. Prempac.  It's better to try something like Femoston first as the progesterone is kinder and better tolerated. Many of us have to try a few different HRTs to find the one that suits.
Good luck and keep posting.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 10:27:43 AM »

Hi pauline rose  :welcomemm:

Taz x

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »

:welcomemm: Ju Ju xx