Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Make the most of the internet whilst it's still here!  (Read 10705 times)

minkusmum

Re: Make the most of the internet whilst it's still here!
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 02:22:14 PM »

Reading the above, it looks as if some of take homework a lot more seriously than used to be the case with the kids I worked with. They were all from deprived backgrounds (hence the club where they could use a computer and print out info) and the teachers were just happy if they could produce something appropriate to the topic. The subjects were also pretty random - I had no idea what capoeira was until loads of them had to do a project on it.

Rowan

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »

I like Wikipedia but always look to see if anything has been edited.

You can always check from other sources besides Wikipedia.

Google Scholar is the best for accurate references.

Limpy

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »

Re Wikipedia....
Took the discussion off forum, spoke to OH.
He uses Wiki to look at Mathematics and Science things, for these apparently it is trustworthy. His explanation, the matter is not subjective, it's easy to see where things are wrong, anybody writing about such things knows and cares what they are talking about (his words dear readers).

Rowan

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2014, 06:27:30 PM »

I totally agree with your OH Limpy and I was going to say the same thing in my post, you can get a feel if it doesn't read correctly.

Though kids looking up things may not be so astute.

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2014, 07:11:52 PM »

When I worked in my kids primary ( I took kids for reading and computer studies) the local authority was very clear what web sites the kids could use. In fact at that point....quite a few years ago....it was locked down and very few sites could be viewed.

I think most education authorities are still the same. When my kids were at secondary school there were recommended web sites.

They do say that university students plagiarize a lot of work. Both my son and daughter had and have to run all essays through a plagiarize checking facility. They are only allowed a small percentage of their work to be lifted from the internet and that includes sites such as Wiki.

Honeyb
x
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:14:11 PM by honeybun »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2014, 07:55:02 PM »

Many people take info off the internet and quote parts of other works, because it appears relevant to the project they are working on.  Sometimes they haven't even read it correctly  ::)

Now - back to the initial issue  ;) …… we have again had MotoGP drop out completely  :cuss:

Limpy

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »

CLKD that's what people did before the internet   ;D

What site are you using for MotoGP?
OH has been using BTSport, which keeps on having hiccups.
When it's on I can't use the internet at all, so ladies I probably won't be on here till after 3pm ish tomorrow  ::)

Rowan

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »

We have not had any problems with internet or accessing websites at all and speed is  normal, we are paying for a fast connection though.

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »

No problems here either. Mind you being in Scotland and fairly rural our choices of broadband is limited. I am with BT because it offers the best but not the cheapest service. We can't get Virgin or Sky broadband.
There is a price to pay for living up here.

If we go independent then I think it will be pedal powered internet  ;D

Honeyb
x

oldsheep

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2014, 08:01:34 AM »

whoops, didn't mean to cause any arguments over Wiki. I love it. I also think it's massively important to teach kids to treat all media with healthy scepticism (although it complicates life!).

CLKD, what speed is your home connection supposed to be? Have you tried testing it on speedtest.net (or similar)? Ours has been fine, but we also pay for Infinity.
I also find my browsing isn't as fast if I've not cleared the browser cache recently. Sometimes it's just the peak time of day though too. Very annoying when it buffers - reminds me of the dear old days of dial up.

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2014, 09:09:43 AM »

DH checked the speed yesterday and has sent an e-mail to BTSports …….. it is not good enough for the BBC not to show well attended sports events and put them onto their web-site if they are unable to support them.   >:(  after all, there would be a public outcry should football disappear in this way  :cuss: …………

Thanks Taz …….. doesn't help today though  :'(

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2014, 09:12:49 AM »

There may be a forum about this under BT?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2014, 09:14:41 AM »

Couldn't find one  :-\

Taz2

Pages: 1 [2] 3