Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old pillows  (Read 9509 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Old pillows
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »

:-\ I'm sure we have a thread here …….. what do others do with pillow due for throwing out?  We have removed the 'slips' but the squishy stuff inside?  Reluctant to put it into landfill ……..

Limpy

Re: Old pillows
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »

Perhaps use the pillows / stuffing  when transporting delicate stuff which needs protection?

Or use pillows to protect shrubs / plants in cold winters.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:41:11 PM »

We take our pillows and duvets to our local tip. There is a special container for them. Not sure where they go after that.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »

:thankyou:  ........... I have a mohair scarve outside for the birds to pull for nesting material.

I have an article still to read about where our recyling ends up ..........

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:28:42 PM »

Not sure about pillows but if you have any old duvets find out if your nearest dog kennel want them. Our branch of the RGT got loads from approaching hotels in the Ipswich area and other than the ones we keep for putting in the back of the car they always get ours as well :)

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 03:36:19 PM »

The local RGT didn't want them because if the dogs shredded the duvets  ::)  ........... cats shelter didn't want them because if the cat peeeed their washing machine wasn't large enough to take them ..........

dulciana

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 03:42:10 PM »

Lucky little birds with all that mohair, CLKD.  Bet they're nice and cosy in the winter!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 03:49:16 PM »

There's a long shank of sheepskin rug hanging out of the rain too, so they have plenty of choice  ::)

Hattie

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 03:00:51 PM »

I have used old pillows and duvets as garden compost 'bin'/heap covers. It keeps the heat in the heap.

i watched Pippa Greenwood on a gardening programme years ago putting on her compost duvet ! - this purpose made is rot proof - using an old duvet or pillows they will eventually tear but i've found they last ages - also lets rain water through to the heap which needs to be kept moist.

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 10:16:31 PM »

I saw something on the internet that looked good if you have grandchildren to stay. Sew five pillowcases together longways then fill with pillows. Makes a long lounging cushion or an emergency overnight stay bed.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 03:20:20 PM »

I've got rid of these particular pillows due to allergies  :-\ - the new non-allergenic ones have helped my over-night rhinitis loads ……… I don't usually take note of advertising suggestions (unless it's chocolate-based  ;) ) as I am cynical …….. but the non-allergenic pillows seem to work!

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 06:58:13 PM »

Just stick them in the bin.
We all go to all this trouble to separate all our waste.
The mxjority of our council's do not have the correct recycling facilities so a huge proportion of the stuff they can't afford to recycle ends up in the same place.

Makes me wonder why I bother.....Well actually I know why. If I don't separate then my bin gets over full. It's the only reason why I bother. 
Reason I'm so cynical....My step brother works for the council and he has shown me the data.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 07:00:04 PM »

My bin wouldn't get emptied if I had a pillow or that sort of thing in it - you have to bury it halfway down so it's not visible from the top or from the bottom when the bin is upended.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 07:03:36 PM »

Yep done that.....or just take it to the tip and lob it in the skip.

Ever been at the tip when the huge wagons come to collect the contents of each carefully labelled skip. Yep....lots of stuff go in together.

That was when I became so cynical.  Hubby was very smug as he has been telling me this for ages and I wouldn't believe him  ::)

Honeyb
x

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »

It then gets taken for sorting.  At a central warehouse, where a lot of it is sorted by hand or put along rollers of separate widths which allows stuff to fall into huge bins  :o.  otherwise the Council would have to pay a HUGE fine.  We get 3 monthly reports from our Council about where the rubbish has gone and how much we have been paid for it!
Pages: [1] 2