Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Visual disturbance for an hour last night  (Read 16535 times)

oldsheep

Visual disturbance for an hour last night
« on: August 05, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »

We've had an 18 year old daughter of an old friend staying. Went out on Sunday night to a local live music venue. Then yesterday I showed her round our part of London, we had a very light lunch, then by boat to the Tate Modern for the Matisse exhibition, then more walking and on to dinner with another friend in town. Got one of those nice meal offers you get in August. 2 sips into my free glass of prosecco, suddenly everything started shimmering in both eyes and stayed like that for an hour. Eased up after I ate a stodgy risotto starter and some potatoes with my main - (funny as was a whole lemon sole and I couldn't see the bones, so was pulling them out of my mouth like pins).
Didn't sleep well and today feel exhausted.
I'd forgotten to change my Evorel patch yesterday too, but think (I have stable, but annoying CFS) it was probably doing too much and eating too little.

At least it resolved so didn't have to totally ruin the evening for the other 3. Just hope it doesn't re occur. Only similar I've had was when put on to ADs which pushed my serotonin right up and I got sudden visual disturbance and headache for days. I'm sore around my neck and shoulders with this this time, but only a mild headache (aspirin is good stuff).

Rowan

Re: Visual disturbance for an hour last night
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 11:04:26 AM »

I would check with your Doctor oldsheep and make an appointment with your Optician just to rule out things.

oldsheep

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 11:25:09 AM »

The best local optician has booked me in tomorrow.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 02:18:40 PM »

Not eating enough, excitement and walking miles  ???

ellie

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 02:30:06 PM »

I suffer from Aura migraines ....don't get much of a headache,more the visual disturbances.....shimmery lights, and blind spots, also Can't read as the word is all jumbled up....Lasts for about half an hour, then slowly goes......It's horrible and quite frightening as I never know what brings it on....Also I can have a few a week and then go a couple of months with nothing.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »

Sounds like not enough to eat/drink. Lots of walking in this heat wears us out more than we realise. Maybe even a bit of heat stroke.

However, glad to see you've got an optician's appointment booked. Always best checked.

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 04:33:38 PM »

Thanks ladies! I think I did too much.

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »

Optical migraine perhaps?  Although I think that's in one eye, not both.

Ariadne xx

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:29:43 PM »

You can get ocular migraine in both eyes although this is more unusual. The important thing is, or so I was told when I had to have a visual disturbance checked out at the emergency eye clinic, is that ocular migraines never last more than thirty  minutes. If they are lasting longer than this then you do need to report it to your GP as it can have other causes especially if it is a new symptom. This seems quite a good link re ocular migraines http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm

Taz x

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 09:33:25 PM »

Let us know how it goes oldsheep.

Trey

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:00:44 PM »

What a super article, Taz.  I've had two this week.  One last ten minutes, but I knew it was coming for a half hour and one lasted 35.  Mine, like Ellie's come in a few and then not for ages. Mope you feel better, old sheep and get a benign report.  I get mine sometimes after following stress, when I relax.  Probably why I don't get many. Ha.

oldsheep

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 07:58:12 AM »

thanks everyone and for the article, Taz. I'm still feeling a bit 'starey' in the eyes and extremely tired, with sore neck and shoulders. Not slept well for a few weeks.
It definitely lasted about 1 hour. Will see what the optician says today. Couldn't get GP until next week now anyhow. Am also going for 1/2 hour to the physio to try to loosen it up and help the pain.
My head wasn't very sore, just still feel like someone bonked me on the head (exhausted).

My mum had menopausal migraine but the nausea/proper headache type. She wasn't on HRT though. The GP will panic and try to take me off HRT I know....I had been feeling fatigued prior to the young girl's visit. Had been making umpteen stupid mistakes, forgetful etc.  It was also stupid to not eat much during the day.
During the attack apparently I went very pale, then normal colour after eating and it had worn off. I didn't have any weakness or smell, hearing alteration etc. Just visual.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:02:48 AM by oldsheep »

oldsheep

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »

Yes, loved the Matisse too.

Optician couldn't find a cause, so he says migraine most likely. Said I must try to work out the triggers and go to the doctor if it happens again. Also might be an idea to bring my meno clinic appointment forward from January, just in case my HRT gets threatened by migraines.
Nice young bloke. I think I didn't do too well on the mouse-click peripheral vision test as it seemed endless so I just kept blinking. I think a break would have been good.

So anyhow it's generated by the brain. The physio is going to do an hour tomorrow; today she did an assessment and 15 min treatment. Very sore muscles along the rhs, just under the ear was particularly owww.

Thanks for the support everyone x

oldsheep

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »

sparkle - did you notice a distinct smell of novocaine (dentist smell) in the museum? I thought it was just meno/fibro me, but my young visitor said the same thing. Coming out of the air ducts she thought.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 06:07:09 PM »

Novocaine is local anaesthetic.  I would ring the Museum to find out whether they were cleansing in the area, i.e. a chlorinated solvent, i.e. paint stripper - have any of the paintings been recently cleaned?
Pages: [1] 2 3