Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Really worried about palpitations  (Read 12680 times)

sunlightmama

Re: Really worried about palpitations
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »

I'm getting skipped beats/ feeling that I missed a beat and then a big one. Really annoying. The ECG today will only be quick - don't really see the point of it. Could the HRT itself be causing this - as I never had it before I took them :-)

Taz2

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:17 AM »

I found that HRT stopped mine. Now I am off HRT they are there every day but I had the monitor and they are merely ectopic beats which are not a health issue. Info here from the British Heart Foundation [dud link removed]

The ECG is really to rule out any underlying heart disease which will be apparent whether you are missing beats or not.

Taz x
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:01:43 AM by Emma »

sunlightmama

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 10:27:31 AM »

Ok thanks Taz - how often do you get your ectopic beats. And do you find anything triggers them off particularly. They're pretty hard to ignore aren't they?! 
Thanks x

Taz2

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »

I get them every day. They start off as what feels like a missed beat then there are flutters as the heart seems to try to catch up. I haven't found anything that triggers them really but they are often more noticeable when I'm sat still and relaxing.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 12:41:22 PM »

I think you are more aware of them when you are not doing anything else. I find if I make myself cough then that helps.
I have also found that a glass of wine stops them completely. Not with your cornflakes though  ;D

Horrible things, one of my worse pre HRT symptoms.

Honeyb
x

sunlightmama

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 01:09:11 PM »

Yes I thought alcohol was supposed to make them worse!! But I tried wine and it was fine - probably relaxes you!!! Not a  good cure really?!?!
Also noticed they when I haven't eaten it's worse and these horse tablets HRT stuff makes my appetite all over the place and I used to eat very regularly and healthily and now can't even face brekkie!!
Thanks ladies!

Shazzie

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19:44 PM »

Hiya

I too have suffered with the dreaded skipped beats and palpitations once I started menopause.  They are really frightening.  I am sure that my Evorel Conti patches have helped a lot. It did take 3 weeks to start working.

Like you say though worrying about them does make them worse so try to just breath through them and keep telling yourself that there are a lot of us suffering with the same and you are not alone.  I also take Magnesium 300mg per day to help.

Take care.

Shazzie xx

sunlightmama

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »

Thanks, I think I might give the patches a whirl! And the magnesium! And the wine!!! Nice to be able to share with you all - as you say it's frightening and it's good to know we're not alone xxx

Shazzie

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 05:17:56 PM »

I too have a couple of glasses of wine from time to time and I am sure this helps with relaxation.

xx

Shazzie

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 05:22:54 PM »

One more thing.  When mine were very bad before the Evorel patches kicked in splashing my face with cold water used to help too.

Shazzie xx

sunlightmama

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »

Thanks shazzi!! I am defo coming back as a man!  ;) xxx

Shazzie

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 07:38:04 PM »

Lol.  That's it.  Try not to worry.  I know it's hard but it helps not to worry.  When mine were at their worst I used to breath deeply through my nose slowly and hold for a couple of second then breath out slowly through my mouth.  My GP told me about that one and it does seem to help.

Hope yours settle soon and the patches really help.  I cut mine in half but will up them if the palps creep back.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Shazzie xx

Cassie

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 12:36:31 PM »

Ive had them for ages not just in menopause but in my 20s and 30's Dr did 24 hour holter said benign ectopics and learn to live with them, not that easy I know and I found that when I tried to stop my hrt they def became worse.

sunlightmama

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 12:40:52 PM »

Thanks Cassie, Just been to see docs after ECG said the heart was healthy but he would do a cardio monitor. He told me to not worry about them. Like you said, easier said than done isn't it.

Have you tried magnesium? I bought some today and will give anything a whirl...
 :D

jillellie

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »

I had an ECG in April and everything was fine. I think the palps are the worst bit! Going to get some magnesium as soon as possible!

Pages: 1 [2] 3