Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: The Rubbish Diet  (Read 8121 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
The Rubbish Diet
« on: July 18, 2014, 02:34:15 PM »

I had an e-mail from Freecyle today, included in the items is a 'blog' about families who have really reduced their rubbish amounts.  Can't see how myself  :-\ we still have the plastics off the weekend magazines/papers etc., and other types of non-recylable stuff.  These I feel should go into a burning facility.  DH refuses to put the contents of the various hoovery-thingies in so that goes into the general waste bin.

SO: kitchen waste goes into our home-made compost to rot down for later use - this includes the insides of kitchen/toilet rolls; kitchen roll used to wipe down surfaces; tissues the same; peelings; tea-bags; egg-shells; coffee grinds; toe nails; chicken thigh bones, fish skins/bones (we have a Council composting bin but twice the men haven't emptied mine  >:( so I now refuse to use that!) ……….

into the recycling bins: 1 for garden waste - twigs; weeds that we don't want spreading through our compost;

1 for selling on: cardboard; envelopes including ones with plastic windows; bottle tops; yoghurt cartons; plastic milk bottles; glass of all types; silver paper or silver egg custard bottoms etc.;

anyone else managing to declutter their household rubbish to almost nowt?

Limpy

Re: The Rubbish Diet
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »

Was doing ok till this morning when they didn't take the food waste bin.
That's really what you want in this weather..............

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »

If they forget to collect my food waste bin I call the council and complain. It's part of what I pay council tax for so if they miss us they are not long in coming back  ::)

The way I have cut down on a lot of my food waste recycling is I am much less wasteful. I used to throw out a silly amount and now I don't. So by cutting down on what I buy and planning meals the amount I have to throw out has reduced a lot.

We have three bins. One for garden and food waste, one for plastic bottles paper cardboard and glass. And another for non recyclable stuff.
I do know that sometimes the council just chucks the lot in landfill. I resent the amount of time it takes me and then the end result is still the same.

Honeyb
x

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 03:24:34 PM »

We have a general waste bin, a garden/food waste bin, recycling boxes & a wastepaper bag. We are about to get a change to these. Smaller general waste bin & a new combined wastepaper/recycling bin. We will  then be allowed to recycle juice/milk cartons plastic containers, these are put in general waste bin just now. I recycle way more than any of my neighbours. We do drink a lot of coke/lemonade that's our thing, always has been. Plus a couple of wine bottles per week & the odd beer bottle.  Food waste is put in special compostible bags in the garden/food waste bin.

It is a bit of a pain, especially as the recycling has to be stored in the garage until collection day. Will be glad of new bin.

littleminnie

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »

We have 4 large wheely bins and a small food bin. Hate it in the summer as they smell.

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:35:52 PM »

I've bought some special wheelie bin powder which deodorises & kills bugs.  One time I forgot & opening garden/food waste bin to heaps of flies.  :sick02:

bramble

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »

Amazing how different councils are with waste. We have 4 bins:

Garden and food waste - food gets put in recyclable bags supplied by the council so no smell (2 weeks)
plastics and tins(monthly)
paper and cardboard(monthly)
landfill - small wheelie bin (all the others are full size)(two weeks)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 09:01:19 PM »

Food waste across Northants is collected weekly - otherwise there would be RIOTS!
Other bins are alternate weeks.  The Council here is pretty good about distributing waste for sorting and re-cycling, probably because we are in the centre of the country.
Our household waste bin whiffs a bit so I leave it ajar - to allow a circulation of air.  Don't know why though 'cos it's mostly plastic that can't be recycled  ::)
Batteries can be taken to shops or hung in a plastic bag on one of the bins each week.

Dyan

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »

We have a recycling bin,rubbish and garden bin.
We also gave a food waste bin but I'm not using that especially this time of year.
It is attracting ants and we have a waste disposer in the sink anyway so all our food waste,tea bags,egg shells,etc go down that.
The only thing I don't use is our very small bin for glass.It doesn't get collected anyway,we have to take it to a glass bank ourselves.I'm afraid glass goes in the rubbish bin ::)
We are very limited on what we can put in the recycle bin- cans,plastic bottles, card & paper.
No toilet/ kitchen roll inners,egg boxes,yogurt pots,margarine tubs.envelopes so all this goes in the rubbish bin.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 10:30:51 AM »

Dyan - your Council are way behind then  ::)

Where does your waste disappear to from the sink, into the main drain  :-\

How about starting a real old-fashioned compost in the garden and nope, you won't get rats  ;) - mice, worms, woodlice ……. but we haven't seen a rat for over 20 years!

Dyan

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:28 AM »

Yes I think it goes in the main drain :-\

It's very frustrating on the little amount we can recycle compared to other councils.
Don't know about the old-fashioned compost.I don't think DH would go for that ::)

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »

Composting is easy-peesy  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »

I'me sure it is CLKD - But the what to do with it isn't so easy.......   ::)