Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Coming off Climagest HRT Advice please  (Read 4000 times)

shewolf

Coming off Climagest HRT Advice please
« on: July 07, 2014, 01:51:36 PM »

Dear all. I started going through an early menopause at 41 (eight years ago). At the time it was a shock, as i had been trying to get pregnant (new husband had no children and was great with mine). I began to suffer from every menopause symptom know to woman and was experiencing at least fifty hot flushes daily. Suffice to say; i didn't feel human at all. I took many, many natural remedies and none worked. In the end my doctor gave me Climagest 1mg HRT.

I felt like a new woman and my life became my own again. It was truly amazing. However, i have now been taking climagest for five years. A doctor six months ago, said i could remain on it for a few years more, but my recent check up (another doctor) says that i have to come off it. Luckily he gave me a last six month prescription, when i nearly broke down in tears.

I know that the longer i remain on it, there are more chances of other nasty things happening to me, but i can honestly say that i am terrified of suffering the symptoms i did when it all began.

Does anyone know of others who have been on climagest for longer, or anyone who knows the best way of coming off climagest? It is a combined HRT? What happens if all the symptoms come flooding back??

I can be brave if i get just a few symptoms back... Please help!!! :(

Sarah xx 

Hurdity

Re: Coming off Climagest HRT Advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »

Hi shewolf

:welcomemm:

You don't have to stop HRT and what's more, it is important for all women who have early menopause to take oestrogen until at least the natural average age of menopause which is 51-52. The risks do not count before that anyway. Your doctor is not up to date with information!

There is a huge amount of information on this site..

Look at the menu on the left and read as much as you can. The orange menu will  give you basic information. Especially relevant is the information about risks and benefits: look at the green menu and read the sub tabs under Hormone Replacement Therapy. In particular this one on balancing risks and benefits:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

Aged under 50 the benefits exceed the risks and you need to continue with HRT to protect your bones etc. There's a really good MM magazine article summarising the latest thinking here:

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-hrt-risks-and-benefits.php

Your latest doctor is wrong. Read up on it and go back to a different doctor in your practice and if possible ask for one who understands and treats menopause and is familiar with HRT. If there is no-one available and they insist on your coming off it, then it is your right to ask for a referral to a menopausre clinic. There are various NHS ones but depending on where you live some might not be close and have a long wait.

otheriwse you may need to develop your assertiveness and insist that you want to continue - especially for your long term health, not to mention symptoms control!

Good luck and come on here to ask for advice whenever you need it!

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 03:26:21 PM »

Bravo Hurdity. 
These wretched GPs who are not up to speed - I think they are being negligent.  Perhaps if a women who developed early osteoporosis because a GP had taken her off HRT too early actually sued that GP for negligence attitudes might change a bit. Sorry about the rant but it makes my blood boil.
shewolk - please, please don't be bullied into coming off HRT too soon.
The long term consequences of oestrogen deficiency far out way the risks at your age.

DG x

shewolf

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:36:48 AM »

WOW! I am soooo impressed with you ladies and the advice you have given me. Thank you very much. You are right. So many doctors that i have seen lately really do not know what they are talking about. I can see another doctor. So now, i am going to fight to stay on it. I can prepare for coming off it (or at least try to) when i hit approx 52 and see what happens. If i am lucky, i may have skipped the worse by then.
Thank you again, my little menopause angels xx Sarah xx