Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: HRT & SERTRALINE - thoughts / advice  (Read 20901 times)

MissKitty

HRT & SERTRALINE - thoughts / advice
« on: June 29, 2014, 12:46:01 PM »

Ladies,

Haven't posted for a while but would really appreciate your input.

Initially the HRT (elleste duet) worked and I felt much better after months of not being able to sleep properly, night seats, mood swings etc.

The doctor upped dosage to 2mg about 9 months ago and if I'm honest the mood swings if anything are worse to the extent doctor thought I might have a short cycling form of bi polar. I want convinced but went for the psychiatric evaluation. Head doctor said not bipolar but premenopausal depression and prescribed Sertaline.

Very anti taking but have  "given in / accepted" that things can't go on as they are having spent last 36 hours in a very dark place. This is not unusual since perimenopause began about 2 years ago. I'm currently 48.

I eat healthily, I work out in a gym (hard) at least twice a week and exercise nearly everyday. Not gentle exercise - I work hard but my weight is climbing steadily. I'm aware that serotonin production is linked to exercise so work hard to help my body replace what it can no longer do naturally. Also aware that the body uses fat cells as a way of upping estrogen and that can affect the balance between estrogen and progesterone.

Other symptoms, more recent - palpitations, panicky, dreadful hair loss, anxiety, buckets and bucket loads of tears, debilitating tiredness, abject misery, insomnia, weight gain... The list goes on.

I'm struggling... I feel like I'm going mad. I have no idea who me is anymore. Gone is the dynamic capable woman that could juggle balls without thinking; I am now a shadow of my former self.

I'm really hoping the AD's work - what's your experience and has anyone else got any tips before I descend into a middle age of confusion, sadness and frustration.

TIA - Karen
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:08:12 PM by MissKitty »

honeybun

Re: HRT & SERAFINE - thoughts / advice
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »

Sorry i can't help but thought I would send you a

:hug:

Someone who can help will be along soon.

Honeyb
x

Dyan

Re: HRT & SERTRALINE - thoughts / advice
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:25:23 PM »

Haven't had experience of sertraline as I'm on different ADS but send you a  :hug:
What I will say is, and I'm sure it goes for most ADs,they take time to start working.
Usually around 3-4 weeks,but again this depends on the individual.
Don't give up. Let the medication do it's work.
You may feel worse to start with but persevere while they get in and do their job. :)

thorntrees

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »

Like Dylan I am not on sertraline but a different AD but I agree with all she says.They do take time to work and can have a few side effects to begin with but everyone reacts differently. Once they get into your system you should feel some benefit and I'm sure your GP will help you with the right dosage. Give them a go and I really hope they work for you. Would send you a hug but being quite new to the board haven't worked out how to do that yet!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »

Thorntrees: see the smilies above the page, press 'more' and you'll get them all  ;) - press on the 1 you want to use ……

bev567901

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 06:41:23 PM »

Miss Kitty, I am on sertraline. Do a search under sertraline, Zoloft & Lustral on here & you will see all the posts written as it is hard to remember how we felt. I started in September last year I was in a very bad place. Side effects where very bad but I knew I had to continue as I had no where else to go basically I didn't want to have to try anything else. I had a complete peri crisis I guess which led to me taking them. It did work but took 6 wks to feel the first bit of happiness. Things are better, I am on HRT patches too now. I'm not perfect yet but there is no rush. If I have a bad day I tell myself it will pass. I too felt like the old dynamic me had gone, you will come back. Keep plodding on day to day. Write a journal & come on here. Send me a private msg if you prefer & you are not going mad xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 08:02:53 PM »

Glad to hear from you Bev.! I try to take half a day at a time ………. otherwise my head begins buzzing  :-\

desperate

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 08:46:23 AM »

hiya , i was upped to 2mg elleste 4 months ago , and found on the second half of tablets felt just have you have described , after posting on this sight , was given the advice to get tablets changed , am now taking femostan , also started on sertaline as i am only half way through femostan pack not 100 percent sure yet but seem to slowly feeling better x

legojayne

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »

I have been on sertraline for years. I started with 50mg and am now taking 100mg. It does take around 3 to 6 weeks to start working properly. I also have a small amount of diazipam if things get to bad. I haven't taken any yet but just knowing that I have them is a sort of comfort. My advise is to persevere with it.

Jak03

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 06:54:45 AM »

Any help appreciated.

I have been on sertraline for a few years. Started Elleste Solo and the spots on nose are bad coming up like blisters at some points and boils in others. Really sore anyone else had this problem? X

Jak03

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 06:56:42 AM »

Also really really tired.  :'(

weathergirl

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 04:04:51 PM »

MissKitty, I'm on sertraline (50 mg, and have been for a long while) and I use a low-dose estradiol patch plus Utrogestan 10-12 days/month.  I had no side effects with sertraline, just incredible relief and lifting of my symptoms. But my anxiety/depression was long standing (decades) and completely non-hormone related and a different situation.   

I know some do get initial side effects but at a low dose, this should not be dramatic.  I've used different AD's at different points in my life and never had side effects from them.  I think the most important thing is to not anticipate that you will - take them and let them do their work and don't 'look' for any side effects.  The mind is so powerful that we can translate nearly any twinge or sensation into a side effect.  You'll KNOW if it's the real deal. 

Good luck and I hope you find relief!  :hug: