Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Help please re Treatment for ongoing UTI  (Read 4584 times)

westie

Help please re Treatment for ongoing UTI
« on: June 20, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »

Hello everyone, just wondering if any if you can offer me some help /reassurance.

Have just been discharged from hospital having undergone a cystoscopy for recurring UTI's. My gynaecologist tells me I have an on going low grade infection and has prescribed Nitrofurantoin ( anti biotic also known as Macrodantin). He wants me to take one a day (100mg)for 6 weeks to hopefully clear it. I must admit I'm not keen on taking anti bio's for that amount of time but needs must I guess!

Trouble is I've just read the leaflet re possible side effects and some of them are horrendous! I realise that they may or may not happen but nevertheless I am a bit freaked out! Has anyone else taken this on a long term basis and if so, did you suffer any side effects?

Any help/advice very much appreciated.

Westie x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Help please re Treatment for ongoing UTI
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 04:23:01 PM »

Where does this particular 'bug' originate from?  If the AB is what the Consultant recommends, then I would take it.  If I got any side-effects from medication I am straight back to the prescribing practitioner. 

Recurrent UTIs that are not 'growing' bugs can be the start of VA (see various threads here).

:tulips2:

westie

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »

Thanks CKLD I have no idea where the bug came from unless it's the one I had earlier this year which didn't quite clear. If it is not growing bugs though then surely the anti bios are pointless?

Oh well guess I'd better take them and see what happens.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 05:15:29 PM »

I've taken that one westie for my kidney infection last year. If he has spotted an infection then I would say definitely take the antibiotic. Mine wasn't spotted when it was a lower UTI and so it eventually migrated to the kidneys and it made me poorly for quite a few months.

I had neck pain with the nitrofuantoin and it didn't make me feel great although I was feeling so ill with the kidney infection I'm not sure which was which.

I also had a low grade persistent UTI a few years ago and was put on a nightly antibiotic which I took for a year. In the end I read up on VA and discovered that this was probably what I had. The doc prescribed Vagifem after listeneing to my findings and I discontinued the antibiotic and had no further problems until the kidney infection this year. The kidney infection started after HRT was withdrawn due to my age (I was on full HRT by then not Vagifem). I think that it is unusual to have a cystoscopy carried out if you have infection present by the way. When was the infection discovered?

Taz x

Maryjane

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:51:22 PM »

Hi I am taking this antib at the moment. I have not been on any antibs for at least 25 years, I have got to take it 4 times a day for two weeks, and reasses but a chance of then going onto 1 a day for however long.

I did not read the side effects, as I think that can pre empt them, I have had no side effects at all, and believe me my body is very rebellious when it comes to drugs. I had my bladder scanned with a thing he put on my urethra to measure the thickness of the bladder, and mine is double what it should be, I have never had a pee infection in my life, he has traced it back to when it started, I have been telling all the others I have been to and they said no no, but he was the first to say that's where it started, it has now caused nerve damage so start those antibs without a worry.

I was due to have a Cystoscopy  on Monday and biopsy but he cancelled for now, to give the antibs a chance then will reasse. I suspect you have e-coli which 90% of all UTIs are and this antib really is the one for the job.

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 07:05:42 PM »

Of course not everyone gets side effects - glad that it is working for you maryjane. I didn't realise that bladders could thicken - sounds uncomfortable!

I had E.Coli but Nitro didn't work for me unfortunately and I had to go on to Ciprofloxacillin.

Taz xx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »

:thank you:    Aren't we a Mine of Information  ::) ….. sadly a lot of it through experience  :( I have learned over the years not to read the side-effects until I've finished the course …...

westie

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:15:09 PM »

Thank you girls for your replies, really helpful and you're probably right maryjane reading the side effects is probably not a good idea!
 I must admit, having done my research like you Taz I am more inclined to think it is VA but I'll see if the tablets make any difference and go from there.
I went in today primarily for a hysteroscopy as I had slight bleeding a few weeks ago after being period free for 3 years. I also asked him to take a look at my bladder as I have had recurrent UTI's in last year or so and although I feel ok at the mo I just wanted him to take a look. Good job he did I guess! Just hope it hasn't aggravated things.....
Anyway I'll take the tabs and see how I go.
Thanks again for your replies, really appreciate it, the help I felt from ladies on here is better than I've ever had from a doctor!

W x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »

Drs prescribe, we discuss  ;) - let us know how you get on!

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 07:45:42 PM »

Neither did I Taz. A healthy bladder should be between 3.5mm and 5mm, as I have never smoked or drank eat healthily black de bla ( wonder why I don't some days ) mime should be the lower end, but it is 7mm the infection has taken a hold and got into the bladder lining, just hope the antibs work.

My dog had the same problem years ago caused by infection had to have half her bladder removed :( I feel very confident in this consultant I am seeing though, so I am crossing everything. ( costing a fortune but his NHS list is just to long.