Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Imipramine  (Read 5729 times)

moonbeam121167

Imipramine
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »

Hi ladies ,

my headaches for which this last month have come back with a vengeance , been on Amitrypline 10mg but last month a GP told me to stop them cause they were not working and referred me to a physiotherapist which I went last Friday and she said I have knots in my neck and need a good massage every month but she said it will takes months to work, which is nice but the headaches are bad and I am popping pills like smarties, been to another  GP this morning about them and he was brilliant and said I should go back on something and gave me imipramine , I have never heard of them he said they are of the same family as Amitrypline , scared to take them as  I am struggling with my weight and afraid to put more weight on but as he said whats worse headaches or weight gain, does any one have any advice of experience on this please 

thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Imipramine
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »

Nope.  It's a name I do recognise.  Does this particular drug have weight gain side-effects?

Get the headaches sorted!  Are you drinking enough, headaches can be caused by de-hydration  ;)

Once your headaches are more under control you may feel more like exercising.  You will also be able to review your diet, this time of year is easier as there is a lot more choice of light foods to eat.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 02:50:03 PM »

Nope I have never heard of it but he said it is of the same family as Amitripyline, cause I said what about Nortirpyline but he said it is basically the same,  he has chosen Imipramine  in particular cause it has less sedating effects , he was a brilliant doctor explained things and very down to earth, I do drink enough I think and the GP said if the headaches are that bad then it has to be worth a go which they are , so I have to give them a go and be a bit more conscious of what I eat, just thought some one on here may have been on them or have experience of headaches and can help :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »

You could do a 'search' for the Drug? then any threads with it in will show up.

Let us know how you get on!

rosie c

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »

Have you tried Myofascial release physio ?  I have fibromyalgia and its excellent for pain relief. You have to find a good practicioner though.  Someone i know had a low grade headache for ten years and it was the only thing that got rid of it. sorry I dont know about the drug... x

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »

My mum was on them for several years for anxiety.  As for weight, she'd given up smoking & ate stuff instead, so put on a bit. Don't remember her complaining of headaches.  She was put on them back in the early 70s.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »

Thats what the doctor said, they are for my headaches not anxiety, I have started having physio  but thats once a month but still having theses god awful headaches, doctors thought that I may always suffer and I shouldnt suffer, he also said if Imipramine dont work than he will try GABAPENTIN but will will have to wait and see, and I must be very careful in what I eat  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:07:05 PM »

Imipramine is the AD I was given as a child in the 60s!

moonbeam121167

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 07:37:44 PM »

Ju Ju  so it has been around quite a while then but is any good, but i suppose thats down to the individual , hoping someone on here would have some experience of it x

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 10:20:55 PM »

They probably saved my life. It took a few short months to tunnel my way out of depression. It was like the sun had come out. I was able to catch up at school in most subjects. I took them for about 4 years, but after I left home, I stopped, gradually. I'm afraid the depression was seen as my problem, rather than the result of family dynamics. It has been suggested that the ADs interfered with my developing sexuality as I have always had little libido. It's gone completely with the menopause. But I understand that other ADs dampen down libido anyway.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 07:34:11 AM »

Ju Ju thanks for your reply, I was taken prozac for years they never stopped my libido, didn't want to take anti depressants again but I can't cope with the constant headaches and  know the physio may help but it can take months to be beneficial so I need something in between  xx

Kathleen

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:10:03 AM »

Hello moonbeam.

This is a bit off topic but the husband of a friend of mine takes Gabapentin and he thinks it is a great drug that has helped him a lot. I'm not sure why he takes it but if Imipramine doesn't suit you the Gabapentin my actually be a good one to try.

I recall during my meno journey that I had a headache all day, every day for about six months then it went and has never returned. I never took anything other than paracetamol so there is probably no comparison but it does suggest that hormonal changes may be adding to your problem and they may resolve by themselves.

Sorry I can't be of more help and I hope you feel better soon..

Take care.

K.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »

Kathleen thanks for your reply, I have always suffered from headaches, last Christmas they came back badly thats when I went on Amitriptlyine and it helped but then a month ago they started to come back , I went back to the GP and he bluntly took me off them and referred me to a Physio but the headaches were bad thats why I went back to another GP this week, he was great, he said try the Imipramine and I go back on the 7th July to see how things are going, so does the Gabapentin have any side effects  eg weight gain cause thats why I started this thread cause of the known side effects of the Imipramine  x

Kathleen

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 11:28:02 AM »

Hello moonbeam.

I don't know anything about Gabapentin  personally but I do know from my friend's experience that he hasn't had any problems and has remained as slim as ever. Hope you find this reassuring!

Wishing you well.

K.

moonbeam121167

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »

Well took my first pill last night , this morning and all day I have felt awful, and now my headache is quite unbearable, took my second one a 9pm, I am going to take some paracetamol and go to bed and hope and pray I feel a bit better tomorrow, I know when I started the Amitrptlyine it took around 2 weeks to feel better and as these ones are of the same family I will have to wait but taking too much paracetamol is not good either and there is no guarantee they work, I feel my poor body over this last 2 years has had a hammering and all I want is to have a pain free time and to stop moaning especially on here cause I bet you all think I am a moaning minnie  :(