Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: perifem hrt  (Read 7032 times)

vanessa spain

perifem hrt
« on: June 06, 2014, 12:23:20 PM »

hi im living in spain has anyone bee pescribed perifem ive been on it for 5 wks now and not much change im on 2mg would be interested to hear from other peoples views on this im 52 and have been suffering horrible anxiety to the stage where i dont want to socalize with my friends thankyou .

Rowan

Re: perifem hrt
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »

I have not heard of this one vannessa but it does contain estrodiol and progesterone

http://www.drugs.com/international/perifem.html

Perifem uses and description

Perifem - Indications: menopausal disorders

Symptomatic treatment of climacteric symptoms. Estrogen substitution therapy (eg after ovariectomy).

Active ingredients: Estradiol/Medroxyprogesterone

Tablet; Oral; Estradiol Valerate; Medroxyprogesterone Acetate 

It might be that this form does not suit you or the dose is not right, maybe going back to your doctor might be in order, though you might be told to give it a little longer to work.

Sorry I have not been of much help.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 01:23:32 PM »

Hi vanessa - welcome to the forum. You will find things much better now that you have found us. We have other members living in Spain and I'm sure they will be along to welcome you.

What other meno symptoms have you got and have they been relieved by the Perifem?  Some of us have found that  HRT doesn't help with our anxiety - especially if you have been an anxious person before menopause - and you may need an anti depressant as well as HRT to make you feel better. HRT tends to make my anxiety worse but does stop the hot sweats and sleeplessness and other problems.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Rowan

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 01:28:03 PM »

Echo what Taz has said and just to add that I think Perifem is the Generic name of the HRT it may been know under a different name in the UK.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 02:54:33 PM by silverlady »

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 02:12:25 PM »

I think it may be called Indivina here? http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/womens-health/medicines/indivina.html

Taz x

vanessa spain

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 05:21:58 PM »

thank you all very much for your messages im taking citalopram 40 mg a day for years the anxiety just came on suddenly ive had quite a lot of symptoms with menopauce eg dizzy cant seem to walk propely palpatations one minute i feel ok then it just hits me xx

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 07:11:17 PM »

Hi  Vanessa

:welcomemm: from me too

Is it a continuous combined (ie no bleed) HRT or do you have a monthly bleed?

If it's the continuous one then some women do find that continuous dose of synthetic progestogens cause unwanted side effects such as anxiety, in which case as silverlady suggests another type might help you - although if they have different names it's difficult to advise!

Alternatively, depending on when your periods stopped you might think of having a cycle which means that the progestogen is only taken for part of the month.

The other thing is, many women find the physical symptoms of flushes and sweats are the first to go, but the emotional symptoms take longer. It is usually advised to try a particular type/dose of HRT for around 3 months to settle and give it a chance to work on your body before trying a different type.

Hurdity x

vanessa spain

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »

hi yes im still bleeding each month i take white pills for 16 days then blue for 10 days but this period i have now ive been feeling sick in the morning and just horrible doctor has said to try it for 3 months but if no change soon i will have to go back to doctors 60 euros a time although i have private healthcare here the doctors here dont give hrt the same i have to go to medcare a english clinic thanks for help xx

vanessa spain

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 10:06:21 AM »

hi all been back to the doctor she said to stay on perifem and she has added mitaziprine 15mg to take at night but to take half a pill each night for the anxiety also i take 50 mg atenalol a day for blood pressure she said to up it to 100mg a day for now has anyone else bee perscribed this pill would be nice to hear from you xx

vanessa spain

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »

hi does anyone suffer with boils in peri menopauce i get them inbetween top of my legs sometimes they burst somtimes they dont but they leave marks likr brusing horrible would be nice to hear from you

ljack1

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »

Hi Vanessa - I have been on Mirtazapine 15mg for 6 months whilst I tried to find an HRT whcih suited me.  It really helped with my sleep and anxiety but now that I'm on Femoston, the doctor (a new surgery) told me last week to wean myself off Mirtazapine.  My previous doctor prescribed Mirtazapine and this new doctor clearly didn't like it as a drug and told me that women tend to put on weight (although I haven't)!  I hope you get on well with your new regime.  It's a minefield isn't it?

vanessa spain

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 10:07:33 AM »

hi yes you are right it is a minefield im not happy about taking these pills but at the moment dont know what else to do how are you getting on weaning yourself off them dont know if your the same but i cant face socelizing with people etc its just this horrible feeling you get excuse the spelling i hope you find the right hrt its so hard my doctor says to stick with perifem for now and the new pills its hard becauce i live in spain and i have had to pay to see english doctor the spanish dont like hrt vanessa x

ljack1

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »

Hi Vanessa

I'm on the second week of taking a Mirtazapine every other night and next week I take one every 3 nights and then stop.  The doctor said if my mood dips again, I can try something else but hopefully the HRT will mean I'll be fine.  The Mirtazapine really helped me.  I took it primarily to sleep and also for anxiety attacks and palpitations which I had never experienced until I was peri.  I didn't want to go out and social either and became a complete hermit over the winter.  Now I feel much more like my old self (well as near to that as I'm ever going to get!) and find myself making conversation with random people at bus stops etc.  I didn't want to talk to anyone a few months ago so, yes, I'm much more outgoing and sociable.

I'm sure things will improve for you in time.

Middleaged

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 08:45:53 PM »

Hi Vanessa
I'm new to the forum and have just been prescribed perifem today. I am also in Spain and started femoston 1/10 last month which my doctor in Ireland prescribed. It worked very well on hot flushes and night sweats etc. However it's not available here and the gyno gave me activelle 1/0.5 instead saying it was the nearest one to femoston. After four days the hot flushes were back and I was an emotional wreck crying short tempered etc. I went back today and was changed to perifem but this is 21 day instead of 28!!! Not sure what to do I'm so fed up of all the symptoms changes etc. I am post menopausal at 44 and have been having symptoms for years now. I have tried all the natural remedies. Can anyone suggest a good brand?

Thanks to anyone that can help x

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 07:29:04 AM »

Hi Middleaged

:welcomemm:

You are unlikely to hear from vanessa as this is a very old thread from over 3 years ago and she hasn't been on the forum for two and a half years....however your comments are still valid!

I don't know what is available in Spain but if you were on cyclical HRT, then it may well be that continuous progestogens don't suit you - even though the oestrogen dose might be the same. You would have to find a list of the HRT types available in Spain and then look up their ingredients. You could also maybe start a new thread with a title to catch members eye who might be living there? eg "Anyone on HRT in Spain" or something better!

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2