Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is pelvic pain normal?  (Read 4001 times)

moley

Is pelvic pain normal?
« on: May 06, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »

Hi, I'll try to keep this as brief as possible. I'm 46 and had a hysterectomy 6 years ago keeping my ovaries. I've been struggling with the menopause. I went to my gp and she put me on elleste solo1mg.

However, my pelvic pain has got a lot worse, like awful period pain. I've only been on the hrt for 9 days, and just wondered if this amount of pain is normal?

Thank you for reading  :)

Sarah2

Re: Is pelvic pain normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:59:42 PM »

Hi
Sorry you are in pain - but no, it's not normal.

It may be nothing to do with your HRT in the sense that it's affecting your pelvis and could be something digestive / bowels if you are taking HRT in pill form.

There are fewer side effects with transdermal HRT including digestive ones, so maybe worth asking to change?

moley

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »

Thank you Sarah2. I've waited all day for the gp to ring me back  ::) and they've literally just rung! I'm seeing them in the morning. Trying not to faint, as it normally takes 3 - 4 weeks for an appointment!!

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:35:26 PM »

I had hysterectomy in my mid 30s, ovaries were left. However, developed period like pains, especially on my left side some 10 years later. Turned out I had adhesions. Ovaries had to be removed.

Doubt it's the HRT. Good you have got appointment to get it checked out.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:01:24 PM by cubagirl »

Linsey44

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 07:15:09 AM »

Hi

I had hyster in may 13, then for ongoing pain and brca2 i had ovaries out 5wks ago.  Pre op ultrasound showed cyst on left ovary and pain was put down to entrapment.

You def need to look into this further.

Keep us posted

moley

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 02:44:32 PM »

Thank you cubagirl and Linsey44.
I've seen the doctor who hasn't instilled much faith in me! She said, if the hrt hasn't helped the hot flushes then it's not the hrt. But it could be the hrt making the ovary pain worse,  :-\
I could stop taking it, or carry on and see if it settles down, ( but has no idea how long that could take) or take it every other day. Or she could put me on progesterone only. What would you do???
She is sending me for an ultra sound, but hasn't even felt my bloated belly!!  :-\
Off to read the side bar about progesterone lol.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »

There is no reason to take progesterone only if you do not have a uterus. In terms of HRT - you don't need it - so either you take oestrogen only or nothing at all!  You really do need to take oestrogen if you can,  as you are still about 6 years away from the natural average age of menopause, so the oestrogen will help protect your bones and circulation.

It takes a while for the flushes to die down but you should see a gradual improvement. Any reputable doc should know it isn't a sudden effect (some women experience improvement quicker than others though). You may eventually want a higher dose too - 1 mg is quite low.

I would get the pain investigated and if nothing is wrong, then perhaps think about a different route of oestrogen ie transdermal patch or gel?

Hurdity x