Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Any advice please! Lower back pain and lower abdomen pain.  (Read 4928 times)

positivethoughts

Any advice please! Lower back pain and lower abdomen pain.
« on: April 03, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »

Hi

I'm quite new to this site and am finding it great to read other women's posts and the articles etc.

Does anybody have a similar experience to me? I am recently 50 and was on the Cerazette pill until Feb 10th, so it wasn't that long ago I stopped taking it. I have been having peri-meno symptoms for a while and decided to stop the pill to see where I was with my periods and go from there. I expected to bleed following the pill but nothing so far. I have pains low down in my womb area and back pains, as if I were due a period (from what I can remember from many years ago before the pill!).

Has anybody else come off the pill around this time? Should I be concerned that I haven't bled yet and am getting these pains all the time?

I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you.  :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Any advice please! Lower back pain and lower abdomen pain.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »

:welcomemm:  the body takes a while to adjust and can have symptoms without a 'show' or bleed.  Is it severe enough to take pain-relief for?

positivethoughts

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 02:44:09 PM »

Hi CLKD

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, my back is twinging with pain all the time, and my lower abdomen is achey and I have been taking pain relief just at bedtime so far so I can sleep without it bothering me too much. I also feel quite moody, bloated and a bit nauseous/dizzy which I have felt before.

Just wondering if I should see a doctor or just see what happens.

???

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »

You could make an appt with the Practice Nurse and ask how the Surgery deals with menopause? are you due for a Well Woman check, i.e. BP, height/weight  …… a good excuse to discuss menopause symptoms etc..  If the Nurse thinks a GP appt is necessary it can be arranged …….. do you sleep through with the help of pain relief?

positivethoughts

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:54:33 PM »

Thanks, yes I will do that. I'm not sure how my surgery deals with the menopause and I don't think I have had a well woman check, apart from weight, bp etc when I have had my pill renewed in the past.

Yes I do sleep at night with pain relief, not brilliantly, but that's nothing new!

I will report back once I have seen a nurse or doctor, and if/when I bleed. It may be something other people have wondered about as I'm sure others must have come off the pill around the time of their peri-menopause.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 04:48:10 PM »

Did the Cezarette stop your bleeds completely and did you take it every day without a break? I'm not familiar with how it works. However as it's progestogen only it could be if you are peri-menopausal then your oestrogen levels have dropped, so you will not have built up sufficient lining to bleed. This is a good sign (ie that your lining is thin - rather than oestrogen levels falling!).

Your natural periods may have been be sporadic anyway at this time, but this has been masked by the Cezarette?

Sorry to hear about the pains, and maybe this means a period is on its way?

If you are having unpleasant symptoms such as flushes and sweats then maybe you could consider HRT which will make you feel better if you choose a type that suits you?

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 06:14:18 PM »

Let us know how you get on!

tiger74

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »

I would go and see a doctor - surely any new/different pain should be investigated especially if it's bad enough to require pain medication?  It could be completely unrelated to the menopause so personally I'd by-pass the practice nurse, knowledgeable as he/she may be, he/she would not be not be qualified to give diagnoses or make referrals.

Best of luck.

carrs

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 09:13:41 PM »

Hi
I don't think you need to worry about the pains - if they are period-type pains they will clear up in a few days. It is normal to almost have a period, but without a bleed - you can expect to have these fairly regularly, sometimes with a bleed, sometimes without. The dizziness and mood swings are a different matter - HRT will help with those symptoms to some extent, hopefully, if you want to go down that route.

positivethoughts

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »

Hi and thanks for your advice

Hurdity, yes the pill Cerazette did stop me having periods more or less completely, and I did wonder whether the pill was masking the fact that my periods were slowing down/stopping. That's mainly why I have stopped taking it to see what is going on with my body, and I imagine that the period-type aches and pains may be my body responding to that. I do have an appt to see the doc next week so will discuss it then.

tiger74, the pains are not so bad today and I didn't take pain relief at bedtime last night.

However the dizziness is quite overwhelming at times and I have to stop what i'm doing and stay still until it passes. Very disconcerting. Does anybody else suffer with dizziness, like feeling seasick. Affects my vision at times a bit like having a migraine.

carrie, it's good to be reassured that it is normal to have period symptoms but no bleeding. It's all so difficult and I do find it scary at times as I don't know what to expect, and everyone seems to experience the menopause differently. Luckily with so many supportive women out there, there is likely to be someone else going through the same experience.

I will let you know how things progress. Thank you.  :)

Sarah2

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 09:49:38 AM »

That amount of dizziness needs investigating and is prob not meno-related- more likely your inner ear, or your eyesight, as has been mentioned- but you also need your BP checking etc.

positivethoughts

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »

Hi Sarah2

I do have low blood pressure so that may be contributing to the dizziness however it doesn't happen all the time so will definitely mention to the doctor when I go. I have had bouts of dizziness before a couple of years ago and no cause could be found. Having read a few posts on here about dizziness it seems that others have experienced it during the peri-menopause.

I just want to feel normal. It seems as though all I think about at the moment is how rubbish i'm feeling every day.

:(

Suzyq

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 07:04:39 PM »

Hi I had terrible dizziness during peri until I started using progesterone! When I started hrt and was using progesterone for 12'days a month I also got the spinning dizziness back for a few days after my last day of progesterone. Not necessarily what is causing yours but hope it helps

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »

Tiger74 - our Practice Nurses are well qualified, some also give prescriptions ……. and would ask a Dr to see the patient if it was thought necessary. It is often the quickest way to get advice in this area  >:(