Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: nail advice  (Read 6259 times)

moonbeam121167

nail advice
« on: March 31, 2014, 09:30:37 PM »

Hi all need some advice on nail care, have been growing my nails for the first ever time, my thumb nails and little finger nail is lovely, the wedding finger is not too bad and so is the opposite one  but the other 4 are poor, cracked and break easily, on most of the finger nails they have lines and flaked bits and very dry, I moisturize every night before I go to bed, I use a cuticle moisturizer every day but they seem to be getting worse, cause I have never had long nails never encountered this problem and need some help please  :) :)

Joyce

Re: nail advice
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »

If I let mine grow just a wee bit too much, the same happens to mine. Basically have to keep quite short.

Morwenna

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 06:47:10 AM »

Sorry, mine are the same and have been much worse in the last year despite good diet, hand cream, cuticle oil, rubber gloves for chores etc - I'm sure the menopause is responsible. Like Cubagirl I find the only solution is to keep them short with the addition of a coat of clear strengthener to improve their appearance.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:45:03 AM »

Well done for growing your nails!

I bit my nails all my life until 8 years ago. My nails seemed fragile at first and broke easily, so it was best to keep them short. However, as the years have gone by, they have got stronger.

Housework does have a detrimental effect, even when you wear gloves. So I recommend a life of leisure! He he!  ;D

Galadriel

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:55:18 AM »

Hi moonbeam,
I had the same issue last year. I had a chat with one of my friends who just happens to be a beauty therapist. I used Nail Tek II for soft, peeling nails. It worked a treat and you can wear nail polish while the treatment is working.

You paint it on as an undercoat, apply two coats of your chosen colour and then a top coat of Nail Tek. Each day you add another coat of Nail Tek. At the end of 7 days, take it all off and start again.
Meanwhile- get some Solar Oil to massage into your cuticles and nail beds. Always wear gloves when doing housework - and finally, treat yourself to a professional manicure to get them into shape.

I hope this helps  :)

Galadriel x

moonbeam121167

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 09:27:41 AM »

Hi ladies thanks for your tips, Galadriel  I will google search that stuff and give it a go

thanks again :) :) :)

Rowan

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 09:28:56 AM »

Strong quick growing nails, like skin and hair are a barometer of what you eat and your health. Being on HRT or ERT promotes nail growth too.

http://www.thefooddoctor.com/Hair-Skin-and-Nails-Ahealth_fst_hair/

https://nailaidcares.com/weaknails.php

I took a NVQ beauty course and we were taught to only file nails in one direction, and to gently use a ridge remover, but not too often as it could thin the nail, buff your nails ( we used carmine paste) to make them shine and this increases blood to the fingers tips which helps the nails grow, save nail polish for special occasions until your nails are stronger.

Another tip is to buy a diamond nail file, I find its fantastic for filing nails. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:21:55 AM by silverlady »

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 12:38:44 PM »

Diamond nail files are brilliant. Not cheap, but so much better than emery boards for your nails.

I used to have a lovely chamois leather buffer for my nails, but it vanished. Anyone know where I can get a decent one? I bought one off Amazon, but it wasn't the nice soft suede type chamois. My leather Sofa's softer.  :)

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »

My nails are ok and grow well. I do have one problem though that puzzles me. I seem to have damaged the nail bed on two of my nails and they have a very deep groove in them. I can actually see that the cuticle is a different shape here where groove is. Any ideas what causes this.

Honeyb
x

countrybumpkin

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 10:54:52 AM »

having had great nails once I became post meno they disintegrated ::) and would peel apart or split at the edge. I was told to use nail envy. You paint tow coats on at start of week and then every other day put another coat on top and at the end of week take it all off and start again.  I was very sceptical as I had used cheaper alternatives with no effect but have to say that nail envy cures my problem.  It is expensive £12 for a tiny tiny bottle but it works for me.

If i stop using it then the problem comes back.

mazzy

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:42:20 PM »

Hi Moonbeam

I have never had any problems with my nails.  I put it down to using plenty of hand cream, wearing rubber gloves and I take Evening Primrose every day. I file my nails every few days to keep them in shape, but I only use a plain emery board.

My only problem is when I put my tights on, I am always putting holes in them because my nails are long, its a pain but at one time I was a nail biter and didn't really have any.

Hope you manage to grow them.

Mazzy x

ann123

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 05:07:57 PM »

My nails are really strong and grow like crazy!
I use oil on my nails, either bio oil or Jessica oil.
I get a gel varnish regularly and that keeps them strong....worth a try

moonbeam121167

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2014, 10:27:30 AM »

Got some of that NailTex II so hopefully it will help, thanks Galadriel x

Galadriel

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 08:41:46 PM »

Finger crossed moonbeam.

Mine are looking really good at the moment. They were so bad last year - toe nails included. I treated them too and all look fine now.

I have my fingernails shellac'd every 2 weeks and it keep them strong. Not everyone reacts well to tho shellac so you could try gelish instead. Failing that, just keep using the nail tek and oil 2-3 times a day.

Galadriel x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »

Any one else note that their finger nails need filing more often?  For years mine could go 5/6 days before they needed attention, now it's 3/4 ……… toes also growing quicker  ::)
Pages: [1] 2