Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Which HRT should I start on? Newbie advice please!  (Read 3651 times)

Mummyto2monkeys

Which HRT should I start on? Newbie advice please!
« on: March 22, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »

Hi all

This is my first post and I just need to run something by you ladies. I need HRT advice.

I am 41 and have been having night sweats and irregular periods for about 12 months (light bleed for a day every 2-3 months). I saw my GP last week who diagnosed menopause and has taken bloods (results back next week). She gave me this website to read and to "decide what type of HRT you want".

I am feeling a bit bamboozled. I have no strong opinions on which preparation to start on and wondered if any of you had any advice on what I should say when I go back to the GP on Thursday.

Thanks for listening!

:) :) :)

honeybun

Re: Which HRT should I start on? Newbie advice please!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:29:53 PM »

:welcomemm:

It's great that your GP pointed you in our direction. Some of them are clueless so it's good to hear of one that's not.
You could have a look at the green menu on the left that gives you your different options.
I prefer a patch. Stick it on and forget it. There are a choice of two. It can take a few tries to get one that suits you but at your age you really do need HRT to protect your heart and bones.
Have a browse around and ask questions and we will try to help.

Honeyb
x

ellie66

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »

The favourites on this forum seem to be Femston tablets or micronised progesterone Utrageston and are a separate oetsrogen in either patch or gel form (Oestrogel) you could have a separate oestrogen tablet if you preferred.

Femston is very well tolerated. I started on Femston but am now on Oestrogel and Utrageston. I love Oestrgel as its so easy to tweak the dose. Femston is also good but after 4 years of taking it I started to get hot flushes so switched to Oestrogel and Utrageston. It is fabulous.

You may have to try a few to find the right HRT for you but you find loads of support here.   :)

Mummyto2monkeys

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »

Thanks so much for replying. What a great site this is. I've been knocked for six by all this and it's good to not feel alone. Off to bed soon for some fitful sweaty sleep! Thanks again x  ;D

ellie66

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 09:45:43 PM »

I should ADD I started the perimenopause at round the same age as you and both Femston and now Oestrogel and Utragestan have been brilliant for me. I am 48 now. Do n't if that helps in terms of what you want to take but they are fab HRT.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:05:37 PM »

Hi and Welcome Mummyto2monkeys
I know many ladies do very well on Femoston and it also comes in two strengths so you can start on the low dose and move to the higher dose if you need it - the progesterone in Femoston is 'quite kind' so is known to be well tolerated.  I had an early meno like you(in my mid 30s) and had to kiss quite a few HRT frogs before I found an HRT PRince.  22 years ago there weren't the options there are now.  I ended up with Oestrogel with Norethisterone - I was never offered Utrogestan which many ladies find really good.
If I was you I'd perhaps try Femoston first as pills are probably the easiest to manage and if they don't suit you can move to Oestrogel or an Oestrogen patch(oestrogen only patches come in different strengths) with Utrogestan as an alternative.
Pleased to hear you have a sensible GP.  The sequi patches can be good but they only come in medium dose level which initially may be too high - its's a good idea to start quite low when you are peri meno and then increase as necessary. Keep us posted.  Dg x

Mummyto2monkeys

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 01:45:39 AM »

Hello ladies. I was awake with a sweat so thought I'd check out the forum. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to reply. You've been very helpful. I've been feeling quite alone with this so thank you!  :-*

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:37:24 AM »

Welcome I too went over into early meno around 39 or 40. Started immediately on the Oestrogel and the Utrogestan (progesterone) fantastic combo and very "user friendly." All the best in your decision, but do stay on HRT until your 50's as you will be doing yourself a disservice if not, you are too young to be without these valuable hormones.

Mummyto2monkeys

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »

Thanks Cassie!  ;)