Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Newbie with a couple of strange new symptoms!  (Read 3731 times)

holidaylover

Newbie with a couple of strange new symptoms!
« on: March 09, 2014, 12:48:36 PM »

Hiya
First post but have found this site extremely helpful. This may take some time!

I will be 50 this year and have suffered various symptoms for some time, although not realising that any of them were linked to peri.
Here is a list:
Thinking I had MS due to tingling limbs, pins and needles (Tests were negative)
Thinking I had a heart problem due to palpitations (Tests were negative)
Thinking I had Celiaec Disease due to bowel problems, mouth ulcers, etc (Tests were negative)
I do suffer from anxiety and sometimes agraphobia in open spaces (feeling that everything around me is spinning)
Have suffered terrible panic attacks, although it wasn't for a while until I actually realised they were panic attacks and not the onset of death!
I get a really strange spacey feeling at times when I go out, get the shakes, weak legs and feel I could faint.  This is often worse in the morning or when I first go out.  (It usually gets better the longer I am out, although sometimes If it's really bad can lead to a panic attack and the sweats.)
I am now getting hot flushes, not as much sweats, but they usually happen at night.
Periods are haywire.  Mostly long bleeds, lasting two weeks or more.  Missed one a couple of months ago when the flushes were worst. Have recently had internal scan and cervical smear and all is well. (one small fibroid which doc said would cause little problem) Was offered Noritheristone which I was slightly apprehesive of taking on a long term basis (used them for hols before), but then I had the missed month, so have decided to wait a bit.
Mood swings (slamming doors, shouting, generally going mad for silly things.  Poor hubby.)

Now comes the new symptoms.  It's really hard to decide if they are peri linked or not.

Firstly, for the past few months on and off, although mostly on, is the sensation of butterflies in my stomach.  The feeling you would get before you sit your driving test, for example.  But I'm not nervous.  I went to docs who prescribed me IBS treatment, but it hasn't worked.  I now have really bad indigestion and a rumbling stomach almost constant too.

Secondly, and this is really odd, and occurs, probably around the time of a period, is a strange sensation in the vagina area!  Almost the feeling I could orgasm!  Not the best when your in the local supermarket.  I also feel slightly off down there when I wipe myself after the loo. 

I know this is a long read and I hope I've not bored you, but just looking for a bit insight into any of this.
I've probably missed something as I'm also becoming so forgetful!

Thanks

Dinnie

Re: Newbie with a couple of strange new symptoms!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »

Hi and welcome

All these things I have been through except down below no problems there yet! and lately been getting the butterfly sensation in stomach it's weird but part of anxiety seemingly, I couldn't tolerate noritheristone I started all they symptoms when I started that. Anxiety brings a lot of symptoms. Everyday is a new one and most people think they have every illness going!

X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 02:49:43 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM holidaylover
Firstly - don't worry about the long post - it's really helpful to have a good picture of whats happening with you - it's makes it easier for us to support you. Also, have you found it helpful to write everything down the way you did.  I wrote everything out like that when I last went to the GP and it started the appointment off so much better because I get so nervous I find I can't make sense and forget the questions I need answering.
At your age, together with the symptoms you are describing, I would definitely put many of your symptoms down to the menopause.  Strange 'goings on' in your fanny are pretty common with meno. Anxiety is very common amongst meno women - just browse through some of the posts on this site - you are not alone!!!
You don't mention whether the GP has done tests for oestrogen and FSH levels - which could show whether you are actually peri meno?
Has HRT been offered or discussed?
Just because you are approaching the average age for the menopause doesn't mean you don't need or shouldn't have HRT.
Noritheristone without some oestrogen is probably not a good way to go - you probably need oestrogen to help with the symptoms. If you or your doctor are worried that HRT might stimulate the fibroid then perhaps a Mirena coil with some Oestrogel would be a good combination for you. The Mirena would control the bleeding (you would eventually not have any bleeding with this) and the Oestrogel is great because you can start with just a small amount and increase if you need to, depending on the symptoms.  This is just one suggestion - hopefully others will be along soon with advice.  DG x

Wombat

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »

Hello

Welcome to MM I think I have had all the symptoms you refer too.....feel as if I am going crazy.

Thanks for sharing  :D

Chatty

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 07:34:45 AM »

Bless you. I feel that I am having all sorts of symptoms but done as bad as you . I would suggest going back to doctor and keep going until you have some answers. Frankly I am fed up with the menopuse been at least 3 years. Friends of mine are feeling much better on hrt. X

holidaylover

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:44:55 AM »

Good Morning Ladies

Thank you for taking the time out to read and reply.  Can I add that I don't get all these symptoms at the same time!!
I have had a coil fitted in the past, didn't persevere long enough I imagine, and had it taken out again.  When my Gynae prescribed the Noritheristone, nothing else was suggested to take at the same time.  HRT was never mentioned.  The next step was to be an ablation.  I have mentioned the blood testing to two different doctors at my practice, one male, one female, and both said it was something they didn't do as it was not conclusive.  It is somewhat of a comfort to come onto this forum and realise that although symptoms can be troublesome, there are so many others suffering worse.  Half the problem is the not knowing if its peri or something else.  Knowing that it is peri can stop alot of the anxiety, which in itself can cause so many symptoms. I am going to try and relax more, eat a healthy diet and drink plenty of water, and for the moment, try and ride out the storm.  I'll only contact the doc again when I get to the end of my tether!

Have a lovely day
holidaylover x

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »

:welcomemm: from me too holidaylover.

Just to add - are you making sure you are having enough iron in your diet because you may become deficient if you are losing a lot of blood?

Also, many women begin to have problems with thyroid around the time of menopause so the doc should suggest basic blood tests as well as the other sex hormones - if they do them (the latter which are often inconclusive as you have been told already)

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »

holidaylover - can you ask to get referred to a meno clinic - many areas now have these and they maybe more helpful.  Though they are right that blood tests for hormones are not always reliable, they are often very helpful - particularly the FSH test, because if your FSH level is raised this would indicate that you are peri meno.
Using HRT is a personal choice but if your symptoms are reducing your quality of life then it is well worth giving it a try.  You could be one of the lucky women who just have symptoms for a few months - 2 years and then be fine - I think many of us ladies on this site are the ones who really struggle with more extreme meno symptoms.    I think is it estimated that 2 out of 4 women will suffer long term, quite severe meno symptoms. Good luck.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 07:04:24 PM »

<wave> - don't wait until you feel ill with symptoms, go along and talk to your Practice Nurse or GP and find out how the Surgery deals with menopause symptoms.  That way you can be informed and if necessary, change your Surgery if you don't feel supported!

The Change affects us but not always in the same way.  Have you read the menus, left of screen?  We have a funny room too  ;)