Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anxiety - Is this Normal  (Read 5927 times)

Suzyq

Re: Anxiety - Is this Normal
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »

I had bad anxiety from peri for a few years but mine also has largely gone with the patches - I am so grateful for this as it was truly awful

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 03:21:03 PM »

WRONG!  that's the old way of thinking by psychologists who have never been in the situation we find ourselves. That's the logical answer: I got fed up with paying good money to 'experts' who asked what I had been thinking about before the anxiety kicked in. 

For me it has always been physical: I feel queasy, fear hits and when really bad, I am unable to get out of bed. I do not need a thought pattern in order for the anxiety to strike.  No amount of books helped.  Written often by people who apparently had suffered but were' cured', I never found them any use at all.  CBT was no help at all. My phobia was caused within hours of my being born so is deep rooted, no amount of CBT can alter what my brain learned in those formative hours.

Anxiety *is* normal.  What is difficult is learning how to control it in order to have 'daily living' …….

Sarah2

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 04:36:27 PM »

I think that's a little unfair. CBT and similar therapies can work for lots of people. Nothing works for everyone.
Psychologists and psychiatrists ( who are qualified doctors before they train in mental health) who study CBT are highly trained people and, like all professionals, they don't have to have had a condition personally to understand or treat it.

Maybe you are talking about something different. You mention a phobia being 'caused' within hours of being born. Don't know know your story or what kind of phobia you have. But phobias and generalised anxiety about things are different anyway.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:02:00 PM by Sarah2 »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »

I worked for psychologists for several years …….. been there done it: from both sides ………. people who have never suffered anxiety cannot empathise, they tend to generalise and 'go by the book'  >:( : believing what they are taught  ::) which may help some people if their symptoms are 'caught' early enough but for long-term sufferers  :'(

From where I sit, having had my 1st panic attack at age 3, there isn't any difference …….
Pages: 1 [2]