Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: sewing machines  (Read 7724 times)

clio

sewing machines
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:03:21 PM »

Hello ladies, needing help choosing sewing machine. Ive never had one before so dont kniw which ones best. Ive got £100 argos voucher, im wanting to make some clothes and maybe a quilt. Which one would be best? Has anyone got experience in this field. Be grateful for any advice.

libby1

Re: sewing machines
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:19:08 PM »

Me too  :) I'd like one to do patchwork but I haven't used one since I left school  :o so it would have to be pretty simple to use  ;D

Libby
x

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:22:49 PM »

Brother or Singer are very good makes. Argos is not really the cheapest place but they do have a good choice.

Don't buy a light weight one as they are a waste of money. Also don't get an all singing all dancing one. You are better with a good quality one that does less as you won't use half the functions.

Is it the Great British Sewing Bee that's having an effect.

Honeyb
x

clio

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »

It started off with curtains, couldnt find any I liked so thought I would make my own. Then I thought I would like to make myself a skirt, then I decided to make a quilt. Then it just happened that the sewing bee started on tv. It might just be a phase im going through but want one all the same.  ::)

purplenanny

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:15 PM »

Singer is a good make and I agree with HB, a basic solid one is best. I love sewing! I made both my sons and  my twin grandsons patchwork  baby quilts for their cots when they were born..30 years between making them and still the same machine. PN

Dancinggirl

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:07:17 PM »

I haven't been without a sewing machine since I was a small child.  I've had many different makes and currently have an Elna which I find easy to use and is very efficient.  Honeybun is absolutely right - my previous one was an all 'singing and dancing' type with a computerised stitch selector and the computerised bit broke after about 3 years and was going to cost a fortune to fix - so I just brought this Elna which has a simple manual mechanism (no computer chips to go wrong). 
I make curtains and do patch work etc. so one the important things is to get one that can cope with thicker fabrics - I think you need quite a powerful motor.  Anyway my advice would be to go to somewhere like John Lewis - hopefully they will have an assistant who knows about sewing machines and ask advice and if possible get them to show you how it works.
I would really caution you against buying a machine without seeing it - you could do the window shopping at John Lewis and then get at Argos.  DG x