Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Skin irritation suddenly from Evorel patches  (Read 44801 times)

oldsheep

Skin irritation suddenly from Evorel patches
« on: February 21, 2014, 08:23:18 AM »

I've been using Evorel for nearly a year, first the 50 and now the 75 patches, twice a week. I had no skin irritation until my latest prescription batch. GP has tried me on the 50 again too in case the glue on the 75 was different, but the problem is the same.
Doesn't seem always as bad when I first fit the patch, but after the 3/4 days, and after swimming once or twice - not sure if the chlorine has anything to do with it - after I remove the patch, the skin is red and sore.
I don't want to stop using patches as have spiky bp symptoms so the oestrogen pills aren't a good idea. Gel didn't get properly absorbed with me.
The problem is frequent, but not every time with these patches.
I stick them on my lower abdomen. Seems worse if I use my hip area.

I've been using calendula cream after I take off the patch, which helps but takes a few days.
Does anyone have any suggestions please, as need to keep using the patches!

Hurdity

Re: Skin irritation suddenly from Evorel patches
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 09:23:47 AM »

Have you tried a different brand? I swear by Estradot - they are so small so less skin area to become irritated. Maybe worth a try? I always put them on my bum cheek - I imagine there is greater absorption as the skin is thinner there - but haven't experienced any irritation to speak of.

Hurdity x

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »

I use Evorel Conti, the last time I changed my patch I had a very angry looking red mark left when I removed the old one. It did fade quite quickly so not too bad,  I'll just see how it goes. Oh, the other thing is I had tried a different site, top of the leg at the front so that may have been it.

oldsheep

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:30:41 PM »

I've never used my leg as it's so visible and only once my bum as I couldn't see to get the very sticky residue off! I prefer to put it in the so-called 'ovaries' area (superstitious?!).
I was wondering if they'd changed the adhesive, or if it was suddenly interacting with pool chlorine. Hope not, as I have to swim 3 x a week. I'd like to go more often but am worried about the patches.

If it continues or gets worse, I'll see about trying Estradot, so thanks for that. Does it have the same strength or any side effects that Evorel doesn't, do you know? Meno clinic are very keen on Evorel, not sure why though. Only trouble is getting a meno clinic appointment (GP won't change it on his own). Everything was fine in early Jan when I saw them so they made it 1 year. I can bring it forward but there tends to be a 2 month wait.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 04:28:45 PM »

You shouldn't need an apointment with the meno clinic to change your oestrogen patch if you decide you want to try a different one - your GP would be able to do this. He should know that they are the same for goodness sake (!!) - the info is on a website for lay people to see and understand! It's just a different brand and delivers exactly the same form of estrogen - and would have not different side effects so you shouldn't actually notice the difference. It comes in all the same does as Evorel and one extra  - 37.5 mcg.

They are all listed here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Hurdity x

Limpy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »

I've never used my leg as it's so visible

I was only trying it because I can't swim for the next few weeks, and thought it was worth a go.

Good luck with getting Estradot

Trey

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »

I've had to change two brands of patches and the much cheaper generic is horrible of the patch I use so I pay a fortune out of pocket as a co payment to my insurance.

I think moisture is a culprit as sometimes if I get water under my patch after a shower and still keep the patch, my skin gets really irritated.

Wonder if you could put micro pore tape over your patch when swimming and remove after swimming.

Js

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 10:02:09 PM »

I have been using evorel sequi patches for 3 years and I try to have a bath when I'm due to change the patch so that they don't get wet any other time and make sure you remove all the sticky marks on your skin before putting aa fresh one and dry the skin properly also. I know they say you can swim with the patches but it might be the chlorine doing it . Sometimes I do get a bit sore when I take the patches off and if so I use sudacreme which is not only for nappy rash but is for minor scalds,sunburn, it's good soothing stuff I just use a little on the redness and helps in seconds . Still prefer the patches to tablets

Js

Limpy

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 10:35:28 AM »

I know they say you can swim with the patches but it might be the chlorine doing it.

At the moment I am not swimming, but am still getting red areas when patches are removed.
It's a bit like a scientific trial, it's the only remotely useful thing that has arisen from my not being able to swim while my back heals  ::)

babypink2807

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 08:14:26 AM »

I've been using it for three months now and oddly enough my last patch left a red sore patch like an eczema rash?  It's itched for a few days now so popped some E45 anti itch cream worked ok.  I think its possible where you put the patch, as I put my replacement on lower down my abdomen on the other side and no problem. I also change right after I've had a bath too

oldsheep

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »

don't know if this is an Ahaaa moment , or just a one off but Trey and JS14 could be on to something. I didn't swim this weekend, so haven't swum since I changed my patch on thurs. No skin irritation at all when I took the patch off today (and slept better, which may be total coincidence).
I'm going in search of micro pore tape or something to cover the patch. Damn chlorine - still, with the number of brats dear little things that use the pool all morning, I'm glad they put it in!
The outdoor (heated  :D) 50m pool is re-opening in March, and that one has no classes, schools and they use UV and chlorine, so I'm hoping they've got it right.
The downside is the heating doesn't disperse too well unless the pool's full....which it "might" not be until the summer!

oldsheep

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 04:19:22 PM »

I've been using it for three months now and oddly enough my last patch left a red sore patch like an eczema rash?  It's itched for a few days now so popped some E45 anti itch cream worked ok.  I think its possible where you put the patch, as I put my replacement on lower down my abdomen on the other side and no problem. I also change right after I've had a bath too

trying bum today. Skin not quite as firm as other bits ( ::)) but hope that doesn't make it worse! I use a concoction of aquapure cream (recomm. by Trey) and calendula cream for any red skin, and it seems to help within a couple of days.

thanks Hurdity as well x

PS have been reading a 2013 thread on a similar subject. I didn't know the hormones were in the adhesive of the patch. Must be why they like Evorel as it sticks like superglue.
Which of these would be a good choice for covering it while I swim please? I don't want to cover it all the time in case the hormones aren't properly released. I'd need hypo-allergenic tape as get a rash from plaster adhesive.  thanks
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddrugstore&field-keywords=hypoallergenic%20dressing%20tape

the 75mg patch is quite big to cover - about 5cm2 - so it would be 2 sections of 5cm tape to cover it. Hope that doesn't pull it off when I remove it.
sorry about repeated edits, want to get this right as tomorrow is swim day.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:55:45 PM by oldsheep »

Hurdity

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »

Hi again oldsheep

I've never covered my patch with anything so can;t help with that one, but I imagine the reason it is said not to cover them is that you are less likely to notice whether the actual patch itself has come unstuck underneath, if you see what I mean?

The best way to ensure this I suppose is to keep having a check and doing the warm palm thing over the patch a couple of times a day. I always do this after a shower or bath anyway just to re-stick the thing - hoping that not too much of the hormone has washed off from the temporarily unstuck bits!

Haha re the firm skin - mine's long gone!

Hurdity x

oldsheep

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 05:15:01 PM »

I just ordered a micro pore water resistant tape - not cheap but it's 7.5cm wide so big enough to cover the patch, and is 9m long which should last a while!
I'll try it. I'll remove it after swimming, before I shower. I hope it doesn't pull off the HRT patch but this one is bigger than the patch so hope not. It claims to be hypo allergenic.

Evorel doesn't come unstuck. It's honestly like superglue (unless you try cream underneath!). It leaves a black residue from the adhesive which you have to work quite hard with cotton wool + baby oil to get rid of. I noticed less black residue today, which might be where I put it (lower abdomen in the middle) rather than chlorine's fault.

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 05:41:33 PM »

I've never bothered about the black residue - partly because I can't be a***ed (scuse the pun!), but also because I have a tendency to sensitive skin so too much rubbing could set it off - and I'm past caring. Estradot are so small that the marks are small too!

Hopefully the extra adhesive ( from the micropore) won't increase the irritation ( and black marks) but you can but try...

Good luck - keep thinking I must start swimming. Stayed in a hotel for a night over half-term and it had a pool - was lovely and warm!

Hurdity x
Pages: [1] 2