Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hives (and I don't been bee keeping!)  (Read 7325 times)

Pussycat

Hives (and I don't been bee keeping!)
« on: February 18, 2014, 05:06:16 PM »

Hello Ladies

I haven't been on here for ages and only seem to login when I'm desparate!  Please forgive me  :)

My question - is anyone else suffering from urticaria (hives) and is it related to the menopause?  Since Xmas I have been breaking out in a huge rash every day.  I have no idea what set it off.  There is no trend, it does not seem to depend on what I have eaten, etc.  I wonder if it could be stress related. It seems to get worse after I have showered in the morning.  I looked up menopause and hives on the internet and found a US website that indicated that it could be hormone related.

HRT is not an option for me (I've had a DVT in the past) and I am wondering what to say if I go to the doctors.  At the moment anti-histamines are giving me some relief but obviously wear off. 

Any ideas?

Love Pussycat xx

Pussycat

Re: Hives (and I don't been bee keeping!)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:07:38 PM »

That should have read mean not been - can't even type anymore!!!

Sarah2

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »

Hi

I'd say you need to ask your dr to refer you to a dermatologist for skin **** tests and a full analysis of your lifestyle.

Hives is not a meno symptom.

It might appear worse after a shower because the heat of the water has irritated your skin more.

Limpy

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 06:38:27 PM »

Think Sarah2 is correct.
Whenever I've had Hives it's been something I'me allergic to.

Meno is tedious, sadly I don't think we are allergic to it.
You mention it gets worse after showering, could it be shower gel or shampoo something like that?

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:51:15 PM »

There's a good explanation of what Hives is and what can cause it here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Nettle-rash/Pages/Introduction.aspx

It does say that the histamines are triggered by cold or heat so it could be a simple as the heat from the shower Pussycat. I think you should ask for some medical advice though.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 07:03:04 PM »

My daughter has this after every shower. She is 19 so it can happen to every one.

Is there any other trigger that you can pin point.

Honeyb
x

Pussycat

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »

Thanks Ladies for all your advice.  I have a doctors appointment next week so will certainly steer her towards a blood test or skin **** at the very least to try and work out what is causing it.

Since I posted, however, I have been searching around some old threads and came across one (which of course I now can't find again!) where a lady described exactly the same symptoms as mine.  The main consensus was that it could be caused by low oestrogen. 

But then how would that explain the fact that it also happens to honeyb's 19 year old daughter!!

xx

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 07:53:31 PM »

Her face and chest are a real mess after she comes out of the shower. They itch like mad. She has learned if she is going out then to shower an hour or so before.
Not a clue why this happens to her but it's been going on for over a year.
It disappears when she cools down only to return after the next shower.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 07:57:56 PM »

If you read the link I posted you will see that heat or cold are triggers for the histamines to be released in some people. There may be a hormonal link too of course but if it happens after a shower then it seems heat is probably to blame.

I used to get a rash linked to progesterone but it wasn't hives - more a smaller itchy rash.

Taz x

Pussycat

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 08:17:29 PM »

Thanks Taz.  I did read your link.  Its at its worst after a shower but I do get it at other random times as well.  I found this link below which has been quite a revelation!

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com/allergies/articles/understanding-menopausal-allergies.htm

Sarah2

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »

Your GP won't do skin **** tests- these are done by a dermatologist- and you have anything up to 20 substances put on your back with a little sticky over them for several days to test for a reaction.

I suspect your hives is there all the time but the heat of the shower brings it out- the change in temperature or even the friction of the spray on the skin.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 08:27:44 PM by Sarah2 »

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »

It is well known that hormonal changes such as menopause can cause a rise in allergies. I was just trying to find the trigger for you but didn't realise that you got them at other times. I developed eczema inside my elbows when I was around 51 and my periods began to change a bit. This disappeared while on HRT but has come back now that I am off HRT. Hives are a bit different though as they are so uncomfortable and can cover a really large area of the body.

Hopefully the doc will be able to refer you. I had to pay for my allergy test privately and discovered that fruit was the most likely trigger, that and white wine because of the sulphites!

Taz x

Pussycat

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 08:28:12 PM »

Bugger the allergies - I am NOT giving up white wine!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Taz2

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »

:drunk:

Pussycat

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 08:34:12 PM »

I have a wheat and dairy intolerance too.  This causes IBS.  I saw a kineseologist who discovered what was setting it off so I might see if I can visit her again and she might be able to do the same tests and see what is causing the hives.

Pussycat x
Pages: [1] 2