Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT and migraines  (Read 4957 times)

Kimberley7

HRT and migraines
« on: February 11, 2014, 07:35:35 PM »

Hi everyone, have just joined as have been reading all your stories and finally don't feel I am alone and going completely mad.

I have been going thru the menopause for 4 years now and the flushes/hot sweats at night or should I say practically all night are causing dreadful lack of sleep (and I really do need my sleep).  However, I could put up with them if that was all.  My real nightmare is MIGRAINES - have suffered with them nearly all my life but since I started the menopause they have slowly got worse and worse, now have one a week that sometimes lasts up to 4 days and it is affecting my whole life, I am ruled by them. I don't make many plans anymore for fear of having to cancel over and over again, seem to spend 50% of my life in bed.  Today the doctor has prescribed Evorel Sequi patches to see if that will help.  Didn't want to succumb to HRT (terrified of side effects) but am desperate and prepared to give anything a try to see if it helps.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks,

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: HRT and migraines
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 07:38:09 PM »

:welcomemm:  do a search and see what other members have discussed?  Migraines has been a recent topic.

bramble

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:40:19 PM »

You may or may not believe in homeopathic remedies but when I was suffering an intense period of migraines I went to a well known homeopathic doctor and he sorted me out. Have been back to him since after quite a few years and sorted again. May be worth a go if you have a reputable doctor close to you (not sure if I would go to one of these Chinese herbalists in shopping centres!). I know Jan de Vries has a few clinics these days and there may be one near you. I now go to a local homeopathic doctor whi is a GP during the day.

Bramble

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:34:03 PM »

Hello and Welcome Kimberley7
You need the HRT - your symptoms are bad and your life is being seriously effected.  Don't worry about side effects, think of the sleep you are going to got get because you won't be sweating and flushing. I got terrible headaches when I was peri meno and actually get more headaches now I have come off HRT (I'm 58 and very post meno). 
Your doctor has been sensible in giving you the trans-dermal HRT which is less likely to give side effects - you may find this is just right for you.  If this one doesn't suit you then you could try the Oestrogel with Utrogestan combination which many ladies with migraine find very good.
Keep us posted about your progress.  I bet you will be sleeping like a baby within a week or so of using your new HRT treatment.  Try not to worry.  DG x

Kimberley7

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:16:07 PM »

Hi DG, many thanks for your reply with such positive comments, it has given me just a little bit of hope.  First patch went on last night so we shall see and I will of course keep you updated,  many thanks again it is really appreciated.

Hi Bramble, have never ever thought of homeopathic remedies, but am open to all suggestions and willing to try anything that may help.  As I said to DG have put first patch on and will see how I go but this is definitely another route to consider and many thanks for your comments  :D

Js

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »

Hi Kimberley

I too have suffered with migraines all my life and went on hrt patches evorel sequi to start with to help with hot sweats and hopefully migraines but been on it now 3 years and still get the migraines so can't say it has helped with them but with the sweats yes I am very interested In homeopathic remedies and I would be open to any suggestions to help stop the migraines I too can't plan anything in case I have to cancel we shouldn't be ruled by these attacks they are so debilitating but keep a check on the type of migraines you get ie with aura etc and hrt and tell doctor
Give hrt at least 3 months to settle down keep a diary of when you get the migraines I did all that then the doc can see if it's worth increasing dosage of hrt or reducing it good luck with it

Js

babypink2807

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 09:18:29 PM »

I was put on the same patches and it got rid of a lot of my meno problems, sweats, lack of sleep, aches and pains, memory loss etc etc.  however, one thing that has developed which I've never had a problem before is headaches, back of the neck ache, and feel like I need to pop my ears all the time and foggy head and like sinus issues.  Now I am not saying its the patches it could be coincidence, I am grasping at straws here and wondering if I am clenching my teeth during the night because I'm a bit stressed (I think) about my HRT and my Crohns.  Today I woke with a stinker of a headache and then the day just drifted along sort of thing with intense head issues.

The HRT though did do wonders for my sweats and sleep which is great, just hope I can sort out the other things now, goodness it never ends

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »

Well ladies - I'm off HRT at the moment (came off nearly 4 months ago) and my headaches are  worse than when I was on HRT.  As many of you describe they are like nasty tension headaches with pain behind the eyes  - as if the sinuses are inflamed.  I think it's do to with central heating and possibly all this stormy weather we've been having - low air pressure can often trigger a headache for me.  Some days I'm fine and others I wake with a foggy head that just gets worse. I have to take Anadin Extra to clear the pain.
Sweet dreams everyone.  DG x

Dandelion

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 12:59:12 PM »

Hi everyone, have just joined as have been reading all your stories and finally don't feel I am alone and going completely mad.

I have been going thru the menopause for 4 years now and the flushes/hot sweats at night or should I say practically all night are causing dreadful lack of sleep (and I really do need my sleep).  However, I could put up with them if that was all.  My real nightmare is MIGRAINES - have suffered with them nearly all my life but since I started the menopause they have slowly got worse and worse, now have one a week that sometimes lasts up to 4 days and it is affecting my whole life, I am ruled by them. I don't make many plans anymore for fear of having to cancel over and over again, seem to spend 50% of my life in bed.  Today the doctor has prescribed Evorel Sequi patches to see if that will help.  Didn't want to succumb to HRT (terrified of side effects) but am desperate and prepared to give anything a try to see if it helps.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks,
Hi

I find that a fan helps enormously.
I use one of those big 12 inch ones.
The noise of it does not disturb me, in fact, I think it helps me get off to sleep easier.
Just the fact of it blowing on my face seems to cool my whole body down.
Try it, it should help.
Good luck.