Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Allergic  (Read 8463 times)

dulciana

Allergic
« on: February 06, 2014, 11:15:43 AM »

For a while now, I've been getting a lot of nasal congestion, wheezing and coughing if I'm at all stressed, physically or mentally, and usually between the evening and early morning.   
We're about to get a new bed, in the hopes that might help a bit (we got our current one 30 years ago as a wedding present).   I'm after one with plenty of room underneath to let the air circulate, unlike the one we've got which has a box-y base and to my mind, clogs the (not very big) room up.
I'm going to the dr. about it early next week - wondering if it could be asthma starting. 
Any of you ladies going through the same thing?
I used to get hay fever in the summer but that seems to have settled down in recent years.  I don't know if there's a connection.   I did a lot of housework yesterday and it seems to have followed that.  (Yes, I know - allergic to housework!)
After a bad night of it, I'm usually worn out the next day, which affects my work, stresses me out and the circle begins again.
 ???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Allergic
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »

I've had allergic rhinitis since the mid-1970s.  Skin testing didn't show anything particular but once we didn't have cats some of the symptoms cleared up.  It is the poo of dust mite  :o which causes a lot of problems.  Changing pillows and hoovering the mattress can help, I know that when DH hoovers the whole of our bedroom: units, surfaces, under and over the bed: I don't snuffle as much.  So if you buy a bed on legs you will at least be able to get under and behind it!

I also note that on the plus side, I rarely go down with what ever is doing the rounds so put up with the snuffles.  I use anti-histamines tablets at night if my tongue/mouth/palate itch - do you wake wiht your tongue scratching the roof of your mouth? - as well as Beconase nasal spray as required.

We can develop allergic symptoms at any time of LIfe and some ladies do find that during The Change they are more aware of these issues.

dulciana

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »

Food for thought, CLKD.  Thanks!
Dulciana

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »

<wave> my rhinitis is annoying the back of my nose and my tongue is working away hard  ::)

Sarah2

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:22:59 AM »

It sounds like a dust mite allergy. You might want to think about using allergy covers on the mattress, duvet and pillows. You also need to wash all bedding at 60C and dry outside in the sun ( what sun?) if possible to kill the dust mites, but it's their poo that causes the symptoms.
 There is loads on the web about controlling dust mites in the home- ( damp dusting, using hoovers that have a dust mite filter etc)  Not being funny- but your mattress is very old- they say the 'lifespan' of a mattress is 10 years and they ought to be changed every 10 years or so for posture reasons ( sleep quality) but the longer you have a mattress the more dust mites will be in it unless you use a wrap around bag-type allergy cover.
You'd be better off with a bed that has a wooden base on legs so you can hoover under the bed easily. It's worth taking this seriously because dust mites are a cause of asthma in some people.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:31:22 AM by Sarah2 »

dulciana

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 12:39:18 PM »

Luckily, Sarah2, we're getting exactly that delivered in couple of weeks!  I'll be the first to admit my non-domestic-goddess-ness hasn't helped.  My mind is more on music than mattresses!  :-[

Been to the GP today, too, who thinks I've got a chest infection and has given me antibiotics.  But he wants to see me again in three weeks, just in case it's not and turns out to be something like asthma after all. 
   :tulips2:

D.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 01:28:49 PM »

I just posted a reply and it disappeared  >:(

:o A GP should know the difference between a chest infection and asthma  :-\ …….. an infected chest rattles! again, ABs being given out at the drop of a pen  :sigh:

dulciana

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 01:37:31 PM »

I'll have to wait and see, CLKD.  :-\   At least I've been given an inhaler to use at nights until then.  The thing is, I had bronchitis last winter and wasn't given antibiotics.  Ho hum.........
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 01:39:05 PM by dulciana »

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 02:07:10 PM »

Asthma is more if a wheeze. However, I'm a cougher with mine. Hubby wheezes. I can cough myself senseless sometimes. Certain smells, cold windy weather too.

I was given the lecture on dust mites recently, but as asthma nurse said it's impossible to irradicate completely. Short of getting rid of carpets, curtains etc. I have allergy pillows, anti-allergy mattress covers. I do what I can, but freezer not big enough for pillows & duvet.

Sarah2

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 02:12:49 PM »

cuba- have you replaced your pillows and then put the anti-allergy covers on straight away? You won't need to freeze them or the duvet if you start from scratch and use anti-allergy covers.

If you ever replace your vacuum get one with a HEPA filter which really does help remove the smallest particles and you can use it on the curtains etc too.

Joyce

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:22:56 PM »

Yes, thanks done all that. Got expensive Dyson too with filters. Asthma nurse was just giving me the speil.

Ju Ju

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »

Trouble with dyson vacs..... You have to empty them. Either get someone to do it for you or empty into a bag. I've got a sebo vac now.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 06:52:02 PM »

Never got on with a Dyson  ::) ……...

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:17 PM »

I had forgotten how awful symptoms are whilst I was away.  The 1st night home within hours of getting into bed symptoms returned.   :-\ …….. must have a Very Good Hoover round the bed and maybe get a new carpet or flooring ………. my throat is sore, my gums are sore, my nose itches  >:(

honeybun

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »

Did you not say at one point CLKD that you have sheets and blankets rather than a duvet.
Sorry if it's not you.

Perhaps if you got an anti allergy duvet that might help
 Blankets are difficult to launder especially in the winter to keep the dust mites at bay.

Honeyb
x
Pages: [1] 2